Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi :)

just wondering if any of you have had problems when mechanics overfill the ZD30 motor with oil.

mine seems to be sucking up a heap throught the crankcase vent and its coming out of the inlet manifold hose joints. i think with nissians "change the dipstick" mod to increase oil capacity as made it more touchy to the usuall idiots overfilling with oil.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Dipsticks can be very inaccurate. Check your user manual for correct oil capacities, and measure oil as you add it to the engine. THen run the engine a bit to fill the filter, wait 10 mins, then mark the dipstick where the oil is at! That is your "real" max mark. :lol:
Runnign high oil level will destroy your crank seals (VERY expensive to replace a very labour intensive), will cause high crankcase pressure which means that your engine will be sucking too much oil up through the breather and burning it, catalyst poisoning (they are expensive too!), EGR valve will gum up (also very expensive to replace), and due to the crank hitting the oil on every crank throw your engine friction will go up which means your fuel efficiency will go down a lot!
So my advice is to drain some of it off asap! :shock:

·
Registered
12 Posts
tweak'e said:
hi :)

just wondering if any of you have had problems when mechanics overfill the ZD30 motor with oil.

mine seems to be sucking up a heap throught the crankcase vent and its coming out of the inlet manifold hose joints. i think with nissians "change the dipstick" mod to increase oil capacity as made it more touchy to the usuall idiots overfilling with oil.
Is it running ok we used to have a problem with number 2 piston overheating and melting, this was the start and reason of the recall to increase oil capacity. Then we started replacing engines in the Y61 Patrol.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sorry for the late reply, this thread hasn't shown in the "new threads" :(

NEVER EVER measure oil and fill it. there is always an UNKOWN amount of oil clinging inside the motor. granted dipsticks are not always accurate but the unkown amount of oil is far worse. manafacturs generally allow a fair bit for idiots who overfill their engines with oil. however with the dipstick mod i fear its made it less idiot proof ie there is now not much difference between full and dangerous over full.

BTW i had a service done on it and they didn't overfill it by as much. i have since then done my own oil change and got it right.

·
Registered
155 Posts
This is an engine designer speaking.... The amount of oil "clinging" to your engine internally is completely negligible. Measure it by volume, it is the safest method to "recalibrate" your dipstick. Some motor manufacturers have a +/- half a litre tolerance on the maximum gauge point on the dipstick, so be warned!

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i wouldn't call 1-5 litres negligible.
the problem is there is only one time when there is no oil in it. then the manafactures fills it with oil. that may or may not be the correct amount.

ideally measure what comes out and simply add that amount of new oil back into the motor. however you still don't know if its the correct amount.

·
Registered
155 Posts
On this engine without hydraulic tappets, the amount of oil remaining permanently in the engine is less than 0.2 litres. This is taken into account in the handbook when specifying the "dry fill". On my D22 the disptick is spot on, 4 litres with a filter change will brin it up to the max mark, and it will stay there throughout the service interval.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
only 4 litres out of 6.7 litre capacity ????

one car i had i drain 4 litres out. if i left it for a few hours then drained it out it was 5 litres. there is a fair bit of difference in how its done, type of oil used etc. some thicker oils tend to cling better and there is these new ones that advertise that they "cling on more to protect on startup".

over the years the old adage of "don't trust the book" and "what works in theroy dosn't always work in reality" has served me well. i don't measure simply because i know you won't drain the same amount out twice and as you quite rightly put even the dipsticks are not a reliable measure. forunatly manafuctures allow for all this.

however what is unkown is has the ZD30 dipstick mod removed the manafactures tolerances for overfilling of oil?

·
Registered
515 Posts
i just done oil and filter on my 2003 d22 and it took just over 7 litres and shows just under full.so is my dipstick that much too short?. :? wont drive now till certain

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
actually i just relised i made a small balls up. i assumed nissan did the dipstick mod to all ZD30's. if they have (which seems so if neil put 7 litres in) then what does it bring the total amount to? the sumps may be different compared to the patrols and patrols now take just over 8 litres.

neil.. i would check to see if any oil is being blown out of the breather and into the intake.

·
Registered
155 Posts
The 2.5 YD25DDti or whatever it is called only takes 4 litres on the 4WD truck. The 2WD has a larger capacity. The 3 litre even larger.

·
Registered
139 Posts
when I changed the oil and filter on mine I had to put in over 4.5lt of oil....
the dealer told me I would have to when I bought all the stuff...
I went by the dip stick...

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
GY54WPU said:
The 2.5 YD25DDti or whatever it is called only takes 4 litres on the 4WD truck. The 2WD has a larger capacity. The 3 litre even larger.
nissan is werid. those 2.5's have nearly the same power of the 3 litre and the 4x4's tend to get worked harder yet they have around half the amount of oil. and they are wondering why they are getting conrod failure ?????

·
Registered
155 Posts
That sump capacity is pathetic in all honesty. Compare that to the Ford Transit 2.5 that takes 7 litres! Though it has a service interval of 15000 miles, as opposed to navaras 6000, so it is roughly proportional. Major difficulty would be the oil temperature with the small capacity, but there is a decent oil cooler to compensate I suppose.
I guess Nissan went for a small sump to keep it out of harm's way when offroading....

·
Registered
84 Posts
hey tweak'e, which dealer did you go to?

Also make sure they didn't overfill the battery, the acid can get out and damage engine parts and the engine bay under the hood! (this is what happened to my old mans Holden Commodore in an under warrenty service check (some car mechanics are so useless!!) :evil:

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
murph_fan51 said:
hey tweak'e, which dealer did you go to?

Also make sure they didn't overfill the battery, the acid can get out and damage engine parts and the engine bay under the hood! (this is what happened to my old mans Holden Commodore in an under warrenty service check (some car mechanics are so useless!!) :evil:
i think it was newmarket nissan. i'm sure they got the apprentice to do it as they also left the transfer case sump plug loose. mind you even the local mechanic overfilled it a bit. it still had a puddle of oil in the intake so i did my own oilchange. we normally get factory servicing done by Maber Nissan in Morrinsville. its just a pain to do a 5 hour drive to get servicing done. at least the guys know what they are doing.

battery is ok, i put 'recharge' in it to help with our constant stop starting.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts