Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning everyone!

2011 - 2.5 dci - Euro 5

It's the truck that keeps on trucking - she hasn't gone into limp mode or had any loss of power at all but here's my story :grin2:

Over the last couple of months, the tuck's been giving me a P0546 code (Exhaust Gas Temperature (EGT) Sensor Circuit High) and after a bit of research, I've just been assuming it's the sensor causing it so was clearing the code every few days and it would crop up again after a couple of days. I've been ignoring it as have been waiting to take for a chassis inspection (booked 24th Jun) and was going to see if there's a campaign to replace the sensors (seems like there was a time when they were been, although can't tell if that only applied in Oz?).

After about 2000 miles of the CEL being constantly on :eek:ops , I thought I'd a better check again and this time I had the P0546 and P0409 (Exhaust Gas Recirculation Sensor "A" Circuit). Now I'm wondering if the EGT sensor is faulty or if the exhaust gas temps are actually just high because there's a fault with the EGR?

The real problem I have is time, I've set aside the 8th July (the only day off I've got until mid- august!) where, if the chassis inspection goes well, she'll be getting a full service and here's where I need your advice...do I,

a)Clean the EGR valve (following this very handy guide https://www.nissan-navara.net/41-questions-answers-pathfinder/75498-1st-fault-its-egr-valve-p0409.html) and hope this solves both problems?

b)Replace the EGR valve and hope this solves both problems?

c)replace both the EGR and EGT sensor and hope this solves both problems?

d)is there anything else I should be considering?

Ideally would like to avoid spending ANYTHING if I don't have to because I'm a tight git but if you think there's more than a days work involved or if cleaning the EGR isn't usually very effective I guess I'll have to :rolleyes:

Also, is this the EGT sensor located pretty much in the backside of the turbo?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
An EGR that is stuck closed will raise gas temps. This does not, however explain why folk who block the EGR (illegally in the UK) don't also report seeing error codes to do with the higher temps. Still, it's worth checking/cleaning the EGR as there is a P0409 code.

The EGT sensor may well nevertheless be faulty, given the P0546 code.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
She was built in that weird window of time where although the engine is a Euro V, there's still not a DPF.
Are you sure its euro 5 ? From memory the Euro5 did not become available until early 2012 . Certainly it would have to have a DPF to be a euro 5. . The euro 5 did not come in with the 2010 face lift which confuses many.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you sure its euro 5 ? From memory the Euro5 did not become available until early 2012 . Certainly it would have to have a DPF to be a euro 5. . The euro 5 did not come in with the 2010 face lift which confuses many.
From what I can tell it is a euro 5 engine as a replacement EGR valve requires that of a euro 5 but a euro 4 would not fit (ditto for the fuel filter, intercooler hoses, etc) but as there is no DPF, it's classed under the emmisions euro 4?

This thread seems to point out a few differences and my engine bay is exactly that of the Euro 5. https://www.nissan-navara.net/20-navara-chat/30731-d40-2011-euro-4-5-a.html
I also spoke to Paul Gate a while back about changing the timing chain but he assured me that it's a euro 5 engine and he hasn't seen any chain snapping issues within those engines..."yet" :wink2:

Had a little push and squeeze of connections yesterday and reset the fault codes and then my son left the interior light on in the truck yesterday :roll: Battery disconnected on charge all overnight last night. Just done 60 miles and no EML light on again yet?

It's going to be a bit of time before I get to properly look at her but I think if the codes come back, il start by cleaning up the EGR valve and hope that fixes both issues - really don't fancy changing the EGT sensor, read it can be a right :censored:

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
The same physical engine can possibly be E4 or E5, as DPF, ECU firmware, and a few ancillaries, may vary. Point being that it is risky to define an engine type using only Euro levels...

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
The same physical engine can possibly be E4 or E5, as DPF, ECU firmware, and a few ancillaries, may vary. Point being that it is risky to define an engine type using only Euro levels...
At the end of the day the euro 5 classification is a vehicle designation not the engine. I know we bought 3 new manuals in early 2012 and we had the option of taking Euro 4s or waiting for the new euro5s to come through which we did and they came in March.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I've recently had exactly the same issue.

So my EGR was blanked ages ago as an automatic job while at Billcar. Several months ago I kept getting an EGR fault code (P0409) which, being just an EGR code and it being blanked I ignored. However, a bit before that I was driving over the Crimea Pass into Blaenau Ffestiniog and had a limp mode due to high exhaust gas temp which was reset and hadn't recurred. Anyway, getting annoyed with the constant light or resetting, I replaced the EGR (actually quite an easy job), only to find the light recurred - this time with a high exhaust gas temp fault (P0546) and a definite drop in engine smoothness. Recalling my previous experience I figured it was likely I did actually have high exhaust temps rather than a faulty sensor, so I had the injectors tested (all fine) and then looked to replacing the sensor.

However, as noted, with a 61 plate Euro 5 getting the right sensor is difficult. I spoke to Milner who told me (based on my reg) what I needed was a 22630-EC01A. This was incorrect (wrong connector, as noted DPF fitment but no DPF!). I then spoke to Billcar who told me (based on the Nissan database) that what I needed was a 22630-5X30D. This was duly fitted, despite being a longer sensor (again I checked and was told this was fine, despite the removed sensor having a part number of 22630-5X00A). About a tank later I had limp mode, no light, but a related exhaust gas temp fault code. I have now reverted to what I believe is the correct sensor, 22630-5X00D, and everything seems to be running perfectly.

So, summarising the waffle. Yes, I think they are linked, I can confirm that when a fault code is present the engine runs differently, so quite plausible to get increased exhaust temps which could trip or damage the sensor. And worth noting that even Nissan don't know what they fitted to each vehicle.....

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the replies! Sorry it's taken a while to get back to you, been so busy the Navs sat on the drive ever since this post and I've only just got back around to looking at it again!

The info on the temp sensor is massively helpful and I'll bear that in mind if I do have to order a new one.

I've taken the EGR valve off and it was absolutely CAKED in soot despite having the blank so must have had a lot of build up before I put the plate on two years ago. Given it a damn good clean but want to test if it operates before refitting it : does anyone know how to do this? Assume it's a 12v supply but across whst pins? 🧐

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Turns out they're not linked. After cleaning the EGR and testing it worked, refit it to the nav and everything was lovely on its first run. Second outing and EML light back on but this time only has P0546 showing.

Is it the EGT sensor you can see in my first pictures? Any handy tips on how to get it out?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts