Nissan-Navara.net banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
5,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning guys after the hot weather we've had in the last few months I've noticed the lacquer peeling on my bonnet!
Liquid Sky Water Cloud Tints and shades

Now this is on an area where a bird dropped one a few years ago that must have been a mutant bird because it permanently marked the paint!
I managed to recover it quite a bit with t-cut but never got it back 100% and with the recent heat its "popped"
So now I'm assuming I t-cut too deep and comprimised the clear coat?
So before the cold weather sets in (last thing I need is water getting between the lacquer and paint then freezing) I want to try to recover it!

So... would I be successful to just wet sand the damaged lacquer and give it a rattle can coat of lacquer or would this be more of a bodyshop job? The total visible damaged area is only 3 or 4 cm across!

Also don't know what's happened but the water marks seen in the picture are not water marks! They don't wash off, and are all down the front wing too!
im thinking some chemicals have been spilled somewhere and then splashed onto my truck, burning the finish?
so before getting too giddy with the t-cut again and risking damaging the lacquer even more anyone got any suggestions?

·
Administrator
17,173 Posts
I would agree with your thought process.

A few tips....

Seriously think about dropping £100 on a machine polisher (plenty to choose from, some are way more expensive). Have a read on this forum
As this thread says, hand Tcutting can easily mean you go too deep. Caution, it can become addictive.

Get some decent clear lacquer (eg Upol), the cheap stuff won't cut back nicely.

I would probably prep and lacquer up to the crease line on the bonnet as it will be easier (certainly less visible) to feather in the edge at a change in surfaces.

The spots on the wing are probably cement, the strong alkaline content discolours paint, it will polish off (much better with a machine)

Hope that helps, the other option is somebody like chipsaway who will charge around £150 for the job.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've tried clear coating from rattlecans once. Granted, that was an entire panel, not just spot repair. Remembered to keep my motions even, the hood still ended up looking like as if it was camo painted; Patches would reflect the light differently. Practice first, if you want to go that way.

·
Administrator
5,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers guys
@landmannnn The comment about the cement might carry a fair bit of weight!
there a quarry next to where I work and when the weather's right (or wrong depending on how you look at it) the dust gets everywhere! To the point I once wiped the windscreen wipers and scratched hell out the glass.
Thinking if the dust had settled then someone drove past and splashed a puddle? All the ingredients are there!
Anyway I'm going to look into a polisher for the future but in the meantime my priority is to get the damaged lacquer patched up. If a chips away company is only gonna be £150 (I thought they would be much more) I'll probably go down that route. At least I'll know it's done right and saves the risk of me cocking it up even further!
Every time I try to paint, every fly in Yorkshire seams to want to land on it lol!

·
Administrator
17,173 Posts
The normal charge for chipsaway is £75 per panel, although it might have gone up since brexit/Ukraine war etc.

Reviews for them don't suggest that they do a great job though. I have found a painter in a local run down industrial estate, of you can find one they can often be the best option.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts