Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I would share something interesting with you guys that I found while trying to figure out how the "Auto" setting works in the Pathfinder. Searching on this forum I couldn't seem to find a proper description of how the Auto setting works mechanically, and like most of the replies here I assumed it was just a bit of electronics changing between the 2WD and 4WD Hi modes found in the Navara.

Turns out this is wrong, and it is a much more sophisticated system as described here:
http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?t=6907

To summarise, Pathfinders equipped with the Auto setting have a limited slip, wet clutch, AWD transfer case, instead of the regular on/off locking diff. This is hydraulically varied between 0% (rear wheel drive) and 100% (4x4) lock as needed and is the same type of system fitted to the Nissan GTR and Porsche Carrera 4 models.

Choosing the 4H setting in this system simply provides 100% force to the hydraulic actuator and clutches.

My testing today in the snow shows results that are consistent with this - no on/off engagement in Auto mode, just a gradual shift of power to the front axle when the rear starts sliding. I am very happy with this as I have always viewed these systems to be the best combination of fun (rear wheel drive) and traction. As a side note, my switch doesn't even have a 2WD option, which would have been fun for some hooliganism ;)

[attachment=0:2y3qgxoc]Pathfinder Interior 07.jpg[/attachment:2y3qgxoc]

Attachments

·
Registered
319 Posts
I have the 2wd on mine but run it in auto mode which has all the wheels in the display on
I would have thought it would just have the rear 2 on then move to the front 2 when in 4wd
Don't know if mine is right though

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have a look at the PDF from the workshop manual that the post at thenissanpath.com links to, it describes the system in detail, and even what situations that trigger it to send power forward (heavy throttle use, inclination and so on). :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thanks for the link, very interesting, always nice to have some understanding of how the vehicle you drive actually works.

·
Registered
692 Posts
What you need to remember though with the wet auto system is that driving around with it constantly engaged heats up the discs with the varying friction burning the oil and so advises you to change the oil more regular to prevent increase wear

Tend to only use mine on motorway when bucketing it down incase of sliding or aquaplaning when out lanning tend to use 4hi so again is solid contact not the slipping of the plates

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would presume the system is designed for constant use (especially as mine doesn't give me a 2wd option) :) But I certainly won't be skipping any service intervals, as you say there is some wear in the diff!

Tonnes of snow here today, so I think I will have to go out and do some testing... Purely for scientific reasons of course ;)

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
viking84 said:
Tonnes of snow here today, so I think I will have to go out and do some testing... Purely for scientific reasons of course ;)
:0ttiwwop

Sure you can provide some stunning pics :awesomework

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Where about in Norway are you? I am heading up to north Sweeden tomorrow for a Norhtern Lights adventure type holiday, hoping for clear weather so hopefully you have all the snow!!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will try to convince my girlfriend to stand out in the snow and take some pictures, but I'm not convinced she will be as enthusiastic as I am ;)

Should be able to get some amusing pics and videos next week though, as we are planning on joining a driving event on a frozen lake! I have yet to see some proper high-speed sideways action featuring a Pathfinder so it's only fair that I should contribute!

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
viking84 said:
I will try to convince my girlfriend to stand out in the snow and take some pictures, but I'm not convinced she will be as enthusiastic as I am ;)

Should be able to get some amusing pics and videos next week though, as we are planning on joining a driving event on a frozen lake! I have yet to see some proper high-speed sideways action featuring a Pathfinder so it's only fair that I should contribute!
No No No you'll quickly discover we like You to take the pics of truck and girlfriend :lol: :really

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Swapping the Pathfinder V6 for a Navara V6 now, it will be interesting to see the differences between the two systems, and which performs best in the snowy conditions we have here! At the very least I will find out how many times a year I actually need four wheel drive :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
viking84 said:
We live not too far from Oslo, so lets hope the snow stays around here ;)
I love Norway. I used to work out of Tromso in the north.
Wish I had my Pathfinder back then.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would presume the system is designed for constant use (especially as mine doesn't give me a 2wd option) :) But I certainly won't be skipping any service intervals, as you say there is some wear in the diff!

I had terrible backlash from the diff, and when the car went into Nissan for another job, they kept it and rectified the backlash under what they called a "recall" It is perfect now but I was never able to find any recall record anywhere.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts