Nissan-Navara.net banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
Pathfinder 2006 R51 2.5 manual
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone, I've just joined the forum after a few months lurking around researching the issues i have with my Pathfinder. Ive a 2006 r51 Pathfinder, manual Aventura, 174ps i believe. Love the car, and i own it along side my T31 XTrail and a little VW Polo.
ANyhoo, ive had the Pathfinder a short while, when i bought it it seemed ok if a little slow on the throttle response when compared to my T31 xtrail. Car drove fine though, but after a couple of months i decided to investigate as I like to inker and try maintain my cars as best i can. Up to this point the only issues i had experienced were very poor MPG, maybe a little black smoke but otherwise the car drove seemingly ok....

If it aint broke dont fix it be damned.

One day i went to the petrol station but parked up on the wrong side, i hopped back in to start the car, heard some sort of noise/clunk/something and the car wouldnt start. After a couple of attempts it started, i panicked and drove off to get to work. During the day i tested the car - it would start then a few seconds later stall. Noted the aircon had stopped working and if i had the air con on it would stall, off it would stay idle. I managed to get it home and began looking into the issue.

Long story short i have had a steadily declining issue. Ive done the following :
Gone through the diagnostics guides here on the forum, as a result of various issues and the checks listed ive done:
Fitted a new MAF
Fitted a new SCV
Fitted a new Intercooler Sensor
Fitted a new Boost Solenoid
Swapped out all vac pipes top side
Fitted two new fuel filters so far (believing i had an issue with a cheaper one, i swapped for a Nissan)
New air filter
checked turbo vanes as best i can, all ok and clean
Cleaned the throttle body
cleaned the EGR valve and blanked (but theres still gunk within the throttle body inlet as i cant quite get it all out)
Several fule pump resets, several ECU resets

The car itself is in great condition and oddly in between all this it passed its MOT a few weeks ago ( at the time it was driveable mostly).

The main issues i have had up to today are a severe lack of power, surging (not sure its the correct term but when accelerating it would hold back, then leap forward rinse repeat). I could still drive it, no stalling, starts perfect, idles good at about 760rpm.

However its got steadily worse as ive increased investigation - ive tried to look for a vacuum leak but cant find one, checked as many tubes n hoses as i can and all seem ok. No diesel leaks, no oil leaks. Today i blanked the EGR, cleaned the throttle body, got some gunk out of the egr inlet are where it meets the throttle body, checked all the hoses again, checked the fuel filter and hoses again, fitted a new primer bulb as i noticed some small cracks in the old one (no leaks though, but it would go soft after running and take about 5/6 pumps, now with the new one its about 3/4 pumps).
now i cant rev beyond 2.5k revs, and have P0089 error code (had this before, hence the new SCV). Can hardly see any smoke out of the back, even when revving hard. Early in the day i was able to rev beyond 4k, but as the car warmed up i cant rev beyond 2.5k, problem is i cant take the car to drive for fear of breaking down....
One point to note - when revving, it would rev to 3k revs for example, id hold it, then it would jump to 4k...same if i got it to 2.5k revs it would jump up n up n up even if i held my foot where it was. Also i can floor it, and it wont rev beyond 2.5k revs, or sometimes itll slowly rev to 4k...arggghhh!!
NO clouds of black smoke but black smoke is coming out, just not the amount id expect if i had egr troubles etc...

The turbo actuator does NOT move at idle, i can move it myself with a pair of pliers. It does retract when the engine is off, it does go up and stays up when the engine is started, unplugging the pipe will result in the actuator dropping, put the pipe back on itll lift and stay there...

When driveable, and accelerating, it would hesitate then lift off giving a PFFT sound....

im a bit lost now and in need of some help if possible? Obviously like most of you im trying to avoid the garage on this one as there are usually things we can all try and fix ourselves and im up for that.Can anyone point me in the right direction with this one please? Id really appreciate the help, apologies for the long winded first post!
Thanks
Clive

·
Administrator
17,067 Posts
Quite a lot of posts on here with similar problems such as this:

P0089 suggests the scv. Commonly, people have fitted the wrong one, not done the throttle pedal reset or pinched the O ring when fitting it.

On the turbo actuator, putting the vac pipe straight on the actuator will give you full boost, try that, if no better then you problem is not with turbo control.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you landmannnn!
Yh Ive checked countless posts but can't seem to lock the fault down.

Tomorrow I will remove and refit the scv. I'll do another pedal dance. I'll re-check the turbo turbine isn't stuck (looks very shiny last I checked). I'll also check the vac pipes near the oil filter as I haven't done that yet.

I tested my boost solenoid tonight and it opens/closes as it should, but the actuator arm does not move as it should when idling (just raises at startup and stays raised)

I think if I could figure out what makes the actuator arm pulse at idle, I might be able to figure out the fault...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tried that and I can't do it by mouth. It's quite hard to move by hand but it does move...
If I put the vac hose direct to the actuator it does rise but stays there (which we know is correct as we have bypassed the solenoid)...

I hoped to remove the actuator in situ but the little circlip looks difficult to get to :(

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thank you sir, on it today. I ran out late last night and sprayed the rod connector to the turbo with penetration spray - bit awkward but figured id be having to do it a fair bit anyway...
I plan to remove the SCV again for the fourth time to double check i havent pinched the O ring - such a pain of a job and its raining :(
going to remove the turbo pipes etc again and try have a better proper look at those vanes...i assume they should spin freely but have no play so thats my focus...I did run some turbo cleaner through it several weeks ago, and noted that fluid seemed to have made its way into the boost control sensor and tubing - all ok now though pipes seem clear, inspected the solenoid last night and seems to operate when i apply 12v...wish me luck

·
Administrator
17,067 Posts
Best off luck.

In case you didn't know, the actuator varies the pitch on the turbo vanes.

Effectively doing away with the waste gate it means that the ECU adjusts the boost by feathering the blades.

So as well as checking for play, you should be able to see the actuator feathering the blades.

Reason for the explanation... Sometimes you can get some debris in the turbo preventing the actuator from feathering the blades. Another thing to check.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, I didn't check that but I'll check once I e refitted the scv. Making progress. Turbo vanes spin freely, no play. Found potentially the intake housing to turbo leaking maybe, so I've sealed that. Scv, you were spot on the oring was pinched.
Blue Automotive tire Water Azure Material property

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yh, deffo agree but i had to do it top side due to the awkward spot id put the car in!
Ive managed to make some progress:
confirmed turbo appears ok - vanes spin freely.
Refitted turbo inlet - potential air leak there due to gasket being a little naff, resealed and fitted.
Refitted SCV - found O ring pinched so replaced with a spare. Also noted it cant have been 100% fitted correctly as nuts were not quite as tight as id expect. Reaosnably sure now SCV is fitted correctly and working fine - previous code p0089 has cleared itself (did a fuel pump reset, short drive, hasnt come back)
I still have issues though. Car starts and idles lovely. i now have power back so can actually get off my drive and go. Ive taken it down my road which is hilly - ive not been brave, so havent gone far or for long but i can get up the next couple of hills ok - however the car is still slightly hessitating ,holding back, then splurging the power with a hiss sound as if air is being released. Its not QUITE as bad as before, and the power seems to be there a smidge smoother to 4k rpm, but still the hesitation and hiss sound.
The actuator still isnt pulsing at idle.
I am definitely open to suggestions that the Boost COntroller is faulty - turns out its a cheap one i bought off Amazon a few month ago and in the reviews a guy bought one and it was faulty. Although ive tested it with a 12v feed and can hear it click, i dont know enough about these to know that is all i need to know. I dont know if it is the BCS that makes the actuator pulse, or something telling the BCS to make the actuator pulse....
:(

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
oh, almost forgot. What impact does the exhaust have on the things i am reporting, namely the hiss/hesitation/power? I ask because when i turn the car off, theres an audible muffle type sound from what i assume is the exhaust. Ive tried to quickly examine it during idle but cant feel any air coming out, but i do get the impression there might be a slight hole somewhere and the exhaust is old looking. See, when im accelerating i get the hiss of air, and i cant pin point where this is from and because the actuator arm isnt pulsing, i dont know if its that, the exhaust or something else!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok made some progress tonight. So i had a look over the weekend and realised that way back when these issues i have occurred i had replaced the boost solenoid based on some codes thrown at me. Against what i normally do, id bought a cheapo one from Amazon (in the reviews, some dude said he got a duff one..i think i got that duff one because turns out mine was duff). I ordered a proper nissan one and it arrived today, fitted it and noted a huge difference immediately. Much smoother idle from cold. Took it for a drive because i knew i needed to rev the boobs off it. The hiss of air has stopped (though i had previously noticed the cold pipe had moved up a bit so i sorted that) and power is restored. Felt great but as ive driven and revved it to clear it out i noted a drop in power but was still better than it was. Got back home, checked under the bonnet and the Actuator pipe had blown off - so that explains that. Restarted the car and now the actuator is dancing as I believe it should :)

So, next question is, what id/od should all those vacuum hoses be, i wonder if mine are a mm too big maybe, or do i need to fit little clamps? I got silicone hoses from EBAY:
4mm Silicone Vacuum Hose - Tube Pipe Hose Turbo Boost Water Air Coolant Valve | eBay these are I/D 4mm, o/D 8mm and 2mm thickness...

Another thing ive noted is i have an exhaust blow lols, so ive that to sort now BUT all in all im very very happy as im finally making progress and learning along the way...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
gotcha yes that does make sense actually. If i clip them up, is that suitable or should i really stick with rubber? I dont mind changing them back to rubber because id rather it be reliable than colourful :)
Ill check the flexi tomorrow - if i cant fix it using some repair paste ill get it booked in next week :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You can buy the Flexi joint from milner

I would be tempted to use cable ties to secure the pipes.
That's brilliant thank you so much for all your help and advice, I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey guys just thought I'd update on this. I went over all the hoses again, tightened up after refitting. I've managed to get the car running considerably better, but I still there's a bit of a lack of power....

As an example, going up hill in third. Putting my foot down all the way results in little to know response. Drop to second and off we go, switch to third at higher revs and it seems ok....

I've run some Revive through the turbo. I'm reasonably sure the turbo is ok be ause longer drives/motorway everything is fine.

Any ideas on the lack of power. Am I expecting too much? The only point if comparison I have is my old Terrano and my current T31 xtrail-which is hands down WAY more powerful. I can be going up the same hill in third, fourth, fifth and if I out my foot down I have a positive surge in power.....

1 - 20 of 92 Posts