Nissan-Navara.net banner
81 - 92 of 92 Posts

·
Administrator
17,046 Posts
Certainly I would expect worn out injectors to give poor performance. Other symptoms can be quite a lot more injector rattle and increased fuel consumption.
Personally I would get them checked, most diesel engine places will do a spray pattern check and ultra sonic clean.

·
Registered
Pathfinder 2006 R51 2.5 manual
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Certainly I would expect worn out injectors to give poor performance. Other symptoms can be quite a lot more injector rattle and increased fuel consumption.
Personally I would get them checked, most diesel engine places will do a spray pattern check and ultra sonic clean.
Thanks again, I'll whip them out and get them checked...!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
Ok, still haven't had the injectors checked, but I did do my research and found that I needed to clean and re seat the injector seats. So I bought a kit and did it. The seats were mostly carboned up, here's some pics.
Eye Eyelash Human body Iris Liquid

Automotive tire Circle Auto part Wood Metal

Automotive tire Light Automotive wheel system Rim Auto part

Automotive tire Wheel Wood Tree Rim

Automotive tire Wood Camera lens Automotive wheel system Auto part

Automotive tire Rim Circle Auto part Close-up

The reason I did this job was because number three was losing oil through the rocker seal. So I've fitted a new seal, bought new washers and cleaned up the injectors again which were filthy. It's when I looked down the holes I realised they weren't sealing properly because the seats were carboned up....learned a lot at least.
Next job is to put it all back together so I can drive to a garage and say fix it please!
I'll keep you guys updated. Appreciate the help.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 · (Edited)
everything was going swimmingly until i snapped two rocker cover studs.... close to the front thankfully so i guess ill have to try extract them.....
Automotive tire Bicycle part Household hardware Font Wood

can i get away with not drilling these out and doing without, or do i need to drill them out and replace? Anyone know where to get the bolts from, i dont seem to be having any luck searching Amazon or eBay.. :(

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
fyi drilled out these two broken bolts today - very easy as actually the bolt hole goes straight through, so as i was drilling a hole for the extractor the bolt turned all the way through the hole. Panic over, just need new bolts now haha :/

·
Administrator
17,046 Posts
They will just be standard bolts, guessing M8, or M10, what size socket did you use?

Automotive bolts nearly always use a fine pitch thread so you probably need something like this

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
They will just be standard bolts, guessing M8, or M10, what size socket did you use?

Automotive bolts nearly always use a fine pitch thread so you probably need something like this

i used a 10mm socket on a torque wrench....turns out i had set the wrench wrong like a div, and repeated the same mistake twice...like a div...!
ill check out those bolts, thank you!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
Guys. I think I fixed it. I'm 99% sure I have.
Just fitted new bolts to the rocker cover, put it all back together, primed it. Went for a drive and it's a completely different car. I can drive up hill in 4th, I can over take, I can drive in 6th, put my foot down and feel it go. My mpg has started to go up, can't see much smoke of any concern when hard accelerate and it sounds much better.
I can't believe the difference.
To sum up, I had multiple problems, but the main one I had before other problems appeared was the power. That I think was the injectors. I replaced one as it died. All injectors were removed and cleaned. I recut the seats and cleaned thoroughly, fitted new seals and orings, torqued everything up and essentially, everything else aside, I think that was the problem. It goes like stink now I can't believe the difference.

Big huge thankyou to Landman and his patience and knowledge. I really wanted to fix this myself as much as possible, rather than garage it, and with your help it's now fixed.
Thank you :)

·
Administrator
17,046 Posts
Guys. I think I fixed it. I'm 99% sure I have.
Just fitted new bolts to the rocker cover, put it all back together, primed it. Went for a drive and it's a completely different car. I can drive up hill in 4th, I can over take, I can drive in 6th, put my foot down and feel it go. My mpg has started to go up, can't see much smoke of any concern when hard accelerate and it sounds much better.
I can't believe the difference.
To sum up, I had multiple problems, but the main one I had before other problems appeared was the power. That I think was the injectors. I replaced one as it died. All injectors were removed and cleaned. I recut the seats and cleaned thoroughly, fitted new seals and orings, torqued everything up and essentially, everything else aside, I think that was the problem. It goes like stink now I can't believe the difference.

Big huge thankyou to Landman and his patience and knowledge. I really wanted to fix this myself as much as possible, rather than garage it, and with your help it's now fixed.
Thank you :)
Great news!

Actually I think most garages would be completely out of their depth and just would have charged you a small fortune replacing random parts.

Next stage is a decent rustproof! Nissan have never been much good at undersealing.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
Great news!

Actually I think most garages would be completely out of their depth and just would have charged you a small fortune replacing random parts.

Next stage is a decent rustproof! Nissan have never been much good at undersealing.
yh i agree, don't get me wrong, I'm no mechanic and ill always defer to those that know better - but 100% yes this would have cost me a small fortune, even if they went straight to the injectors.
Rust proofing i think is ok, its been through Rustbuster a few years ago when the previous owner bought it..
Next job is valet, fix exhaust, then start looking at some future proofing fixes like new intercooler, tart up the engine bay a bit, new stereo and facia and so on...time ot enjoy the truck now i hope!

81 - 92 of 92 Posts