Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Administrator
4,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
as requested by many, a how to wire up your pre-facelift D40 dash screen to play dvd/video input

right first thing first this is a how i did, it and its up to you to deside whether your competent enough to complete this.
i will not be responsible for anyone damaging any part of there vehicle!

ok first you need to get to the wireing for the sat nav dvd unit under the right hand front seat. slide the seat forward and access from the rear :****
on there you will find two plugs.
what you need to do is bridge a wire from pin 67 of the smaller plug (the image shows the plug as looking into the front and the wires facing away) to earth (we found pin 1 of the larger plug is a convenient earth )

you will find pin 67 is empty! with plenty of patience it is possible to thread a wire in the hole through and to the side of the plug and secure with a bit of tape!
now you will find that when you through it in reverse the dash screen will change to a blank screen with "check behind before reversing"

now carefully pull the cup holder near the hand brake up and out (its held in with spring clips so a good sharp tug should be all thats needed.
continue the same for the gear lever surround and then the screen surround!
then remove the few screws securing the dash screen and unplug and remove.

on the screen plug find pins 12 and 11 (the image shows the plug as looking into the front and the wires faceing away) on a thin coax cable strip a few inch of the screen back and insert the iner core in pin 11 and the outer screen in pin 12! again you will find these pins empty but with plenty of patience it is possible to thread a wire in the hole through and to the side of the plug and secure with a bit of tape!

feed that coax down to were the cup holders were and connect the realy as shown (this is were you will need to solder the pins)
all of the coax screens (the outer mesh stuff) should be connected together werever possable
run a twin core wire from werever you can access the feed to the reverse light and cut into it jonting the wire as in the pic (i just tap'd in at the back of the light and ran the wires along side the camera wires)

fix a rear view cam to the rear of the vehicle and run the wiring up to the just instaled relay and connect as shown in the pic (i found tie waping to the chassis rail and bringing the wires in through a conveniant hole in the floor under the cup holders near the hand brake easyest but thats up to you)
the camera will need a ignition live (i found the 12v socket in the center console ideal to power all of this circuit)
now just place your switch where you want it and hook up your video source and away you go!
when you throw it in reverse you will automatically get the rear view camera and if you flick the switch the dvd screen will come on
Worth noting though whilst the dvd screen is on the reverse lights will not come on! Even if you are in reverse gear!

audio was taken care of by a fm modulator found on ebay for a few £s
and the relay was this one
http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/5a-12v-dc-dpd ... elay-n31aw

there has been reports from different threads that the display is in black and white! this would be down to ntsc/pal conflict
the navara is Japanese so would display in ntsc! Most video senders are "universal" these days but worth checking that the unit/camera transmits in ntsc before you buy it.

DONT EVER DRIVE WITH THE VIDEO SCREEN ON! ITS HIGHLY ILLEGAL AND A DANGEROUS DISTRACTION
any questions just ask im always poping in and out
and please excuse the spelling!
i started wrighting this with a glass of wine and ended with an empty bottle :drunkensmile

·
Administrator
4,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lookskyward1 said:
Well done Gav, great post :bowdown1 :bowdown1
cheers
ive been meening to do it for a week or 2 now but with work ive found it hard to get time to get on the pc and you cant edit the pics on a tablet.

could i just say
this mod would cost several hundred £££ with a auto electrician and ive shown how to do it for less than £20 so if anyone feels compelled to donate some funds, i would be highly gratefull if they were given to "help for heros"
its not just for the injured at war but for there familys also.
i personaly know a family destroyed when a husband and farther of 2 came home in a box!
:cheers2:

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
if you install a diode, it is possible to prevent the reverse light from coming on, but I cant remember which thread it was in to remember where to put it, ive done the reverse camera mod on mine (never bothered with DVD at the time but may in the future) It is also possible to buy the pins to insert into the empty plug slots!

·
Administrator
4,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The relay prevents the reverse light coming on
I was looking for some were to get the pins but after my 3rd atempt at buying the wrong ones online I just gave it up as a bad job lol

·
Registered
841 Posts
Cracking write up thanks!

What I can't work out though is what the reverse light wiring in red is doing with the relay - once the wine's worn off can you have a crack at explaining what's going on there? :)

·
Administrator
4,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The circuit uses a rear view circuit fitted but not used by nissan
How it works is when the gearbox sends a 12+ to the reverse light the screen picks up this signal and switches to the rear camera
What this mod does is trick the screen into thinking the truck is in reverse by powering up the reverse circuit!
But in just adding power to the reverse circuit the reverse light would come on! That's were the relay comes in. It disconnects the reverse light.
The top half of the relay (yellow wires) switches the cameras video out to your dvd video out and that way the screen don't know any difference. Hence the "check behind before reversing" at the bottom of the screen

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
gfromleeds said:
The relay prevents the reverse light coming on
I was looking for some were to get the pins but after my 3rd atempt at buying the wrong ones online I just gave it up as a bad job lol
Yeah my bad I thought it said the reverse lights would come on!

·
Administrator
4,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Trust me it does work
I've even fitted a rotary switch in the video feed so I can have multiple inputs

·
Registered
841 Posts
gfromleeds said:
What this mod does is trick the screen into thinking the truck is in reverse by powering up the reverse circuit!
Ahh - that's the bit I was missing to make sense of it! Thanks :thumbleft:

·
Registered
10 Posts
This negates the need for the VERY expensive £219 nav tv box??
If I was ONLY requiring the reverse camera then am I right in thinking.... no relay reqd just camera power fed from reverse lights and Camera video feed to pin 11 on screen plug and other side to pin 12 on screen plug as well as the strapping 1 to 67 on satnav unit under seat?? Definitely don't watch dvds at home certainly not in car.
if so definitely worth a try.

·
Administrator
4,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Exactly as you said :thumbright:
The only time consuming part is running the video from the camera to the screen
other than that should take no more than an hour

·
Administrator
4,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The camera was this one
[attachment=0:2pgmbnw4]2015-07-28 19.23.28.jpg[/attachment:2pgmbnw4]

Cheep enough on ebay
And it's mounted between the bumper and the tailgate
(Just make sure wherever you mount it you can open the tailgate without damaging it

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi guys just about to do this on my recently purchased Navara

I might have missed it but does it matter if the camera is ntsc or pal looking to fit a PC at the same time to the truck so wanted to make sure I get the right hdmi converter lol

·
Administrator
4,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes pal will play in black and white
don't get those cheep ones off eBay £5-8 I bought one and although it did convert hdmi to component it was in black and white upon investigation I found the switch for pal>ntsc wasn't even connected to anything.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Great walk through.

Is it just a normal relay?

You mention when the camera is on you have no reverse lights with this setup? Have I misread that bit?

I presume there's no way of displaying a dvd or tv on the screen without having the reversing message on bottom?

Is there a way so you can put the video on a switch instead of on the reverse?

Thanks!

·
Administrator
4,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Yes normal double pole double throw (dpdt) relay. few £s online from maplin

Sorry when the curcuit ie.dvd is switched on the reverse light won't work even if the truck is physically in reverse gear

Unfortunately to my knowledge there is no way of getting rid of the message but when watching a film you dont notice it after a few minutes

The relay is switch operated so can be turned on anytime
If you want you can put a rotary switch on the yellow wire instead of running it to the relay then you can drive with eather the video/dvd or rear view camera

Reactions: craigblues

·
Registered
59 Posts
Just had a look at mine to make a start (even though its FREEZING!!) However hit a stumbling block already. My No. 67 Purple has a purple wire in the slot and is not empty as suggested. Any ideas?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi mate. May I just start by saying what a great guide!

I do just have one small question. If I picked up my 12v camera feed straight from the reverse light bulb would the camera still power on?

Thanks in advance

John

1 - 20 of 54 Posts