Nissan-Navara.net banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Administrator
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Hi mate. May I just start by saying what a great guide!

I do just have one small question. If I picked up my 12v camera feed straight from the reverse light bulb would the camera still power on?

Thanks in advance

John
If you were using the relay then anything connected after the relay wouldn't power up with the switch turned on ie. Driving forward
However for normal reversing with the switch turned of then yes it will power up along with the reverse light

·
Administrator
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
I'm still stuck, can anyone help?
Are you absolutely sure your looking at it properly?
The picture in the diagram shows looking into the front of the plug with the wires facing away
However the downloaded diagram does suggest there is a purple wire in some models
What year is your truck?

·
Administrator
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Mmm not sure
Try a multi meter see if there's any polarity in different situations ie. In reverse ignition on /off lights on/off ect..
Try cutting/disconnecting it see if anything stops working
Failing that I'd just connect it to a negative to see what happens (could be a unused cucuit) but I'm reckless like that

·
Registered
59 Posts
Mmm not sure
Try a multi meter see if there's any polarity in different situations ie. In reverse ignition on /off lights on/off ect..
Try cutting/disconnecting it see if anything stops working
Failing that I'd just connect it to a negative to see what happens (could be a unused cucuit) but I'm reckless like that
I've sorted it. :)

Reverse camera installed. I was looking at the connector the wrong way round looking at wrong slots. All good now! Works a treat.

·
Administrator
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
as requested by many, a how to wire up your pre-facelift D40 dash screen to play dvd/video input

right first thing first this is a how i did, it and its up to you to deside whether your compitent enough to complete this.
i will not be responcible for anyone damaging any part of there vehicle!

ok first you need to get to the wireing for the sat nav dvd unit under the right hand front seat. slide the seat forward and access from the rear :****
on there you will find two plugs.
what you need to do is bridge a wire from pin 67 of the smaller plug (the image shows the plug as looking into the front and the wires faceing away) to earth (we found pin 1 of the larger plug is a conveniant earth )

you will find pin 67 is empty! with plenty of patience it is possible to thread a wire in the hole through and to the side of the plug and secure with a bit of tape!
now you will find that when you through it in reverse the dash screen will change to a blank screen with "check behind before reversing"

now carefully pull the cup holder near the hand brake up and out (its held in with spring clips so a good sharp tug should be all thats needed.
continue the same for the gear lever surround and then the screen surround!
then remove the few screws securing the dash screen and unplug and remove.

on the screen plug find pins 12 and 11 (the image shows the plug as looking into the front and the wires faceing away) on a thin coax cable strip a few inch of the screen back and insert the iner core in pin 11 and the outer screen in pin 12! again you will find these pins empty but with plenty of patience it is possible to thread a wire in the hole through and to the side of the plug and secure with a bit of tape!

feed that coax down to were the cup holders were and connect the realy as shown (this is were you will need to solder the pins)
all of the coax screens (the outer mesh stuff) should be connected together werever possable
run a twin core wire from werever you can access the feed to the reverse light and cut into it jonting the wire as in the pic (i just tap'd in at the back of the light and ran the wires along side the camera wires)

fix a rear view cam to the rear of the vehicle and run the wiring up to the just instaled relay and connect as shown in the pic (i found tie waping to the chassis rail and bringing the wires in through a conveniant hole in the floor under the cup holders near the hand brake easyest but thats up to you)
the camera will need a ignition live (i found the 12v socket in the center console ideal to power all of this circuit)
now just place your switch where you want it and hook up your video source and away you go!
when you throw it in reverse you will automatically get the rear view camera and if you flick the switch the dvd screen will come on
Worth noting though whilst the dvd screen is on the reverse lights will not come on! Even if you are in reverse gear!

audio was taken care of by a fm modulator found on ebay for a few £s
and the relay was this one
http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/5a-12v-dc-dpd ... elay-n31aw

there has been reports from different threads that the display is in black and white! this would be down to ntsc/pal conflict
the navara is Japanese so would display in ntsc! Most video senders are "universal" these days but worth checking that the unit/camera transmits in ntsc before you buy it.

DONT EVER DRIVE WITH THE VIDEO SCREEN ON! ITS HIGHLY ILLEGAL AND A DANGEROUS DISTRACTION
any questions just ask im always poping in and out
and please excuse the spelling!
i started wrighting this with a glass of wine and ended with an empty bottle :drunkensmile
Just to be clear as a few people have asked
If you just want the rear view camera that only comes on when in reverse
Ignore the relay and associated wires just run the camera's video direct to the screen and do the connection at the back of the DVD player under the seat
You can power the camera from the reverse light or run it up to the cabin and power it there it makes no difference really

Reactions: Jeff26 and Stuart_T

·
Administrator
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Hi if i don't want the dvd but only want the rear camera only how do you wire it
Cheers trig
Read 2 posts up

·
Registered
16 Posts
Firstly I must say many thanks for a very handy guide.

Finally got round to fitting my camera today,although a bit disappointed it's in black & white?
My camera is listed as PAL/NTSC compatible,sounds like it's not though if it's showing in black & white

·
Registered
11 Posts
What a write up , I'm going to give this a shot for sure , will this work on my 58 plate 09 aventura ??

·
Administrator
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
What a write up , I'm going to give this a shot for sure , will this work on my 58 plate 09 aventura ??
Preface lift so yes as long as it has the standard sat nav

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think I need this mod but just to be clear.... do you get the reversing camera and reverse lights simultaneously?

·
Administrator
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
I think I need this mod but just to be clear.... do you get the reversing camera and reverse lights simultaneously?
If the switch is turned off then yes when you put it in Reverse the camera switches over as the reverse lights come on
Or if you just go for the direct connection ie no video input =no switch or relay then same will happen the dash screen will switch to camera as reverse lights come on

·
Registered
6 Posts
as requested by many, a how to wire up your pre-facelift D40 dash screen to play dvd/video input

what you need to do is bridge a wire from pin 67 of the smaller plug (the image shows the plug as looking into the front and the wires faceing away) to earth (we found pin 1 of the larger plug is a conveniant earth )

you will find pin 67 is empty! with plenty of patience it is possible to thread a wire in the hole through and to the side of the plug and secure with a bit of tape!
now you will find that when you through it in reverse the dash screen will change to a blank screen with "check behind before reversing"

HI

Great thread. Thanks for sharing this.

Quick question. When you say Bridge the wire from pin 67 to pin 1 do you mean cut the purple wire from 67 and connect to 1 (an earth) with the other end of 67 cable connect to nothing?

OR do you mean

Run an earth into 67 so cut into the purple wire and solder in a wire then run it to an earth (pin 1)

Any advice would be gratefully received.

·
Administrator
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
Pin 67 should be empty so don't cut anything
Look at the plug as if unplugged and looking down the pin holes with the wires facing away from you
Then you need to put earth to this empty hole I found a good local earth on pin 1of the larger plug but you can use any earth you want

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

I was looking at plugs wrong and had a purple wire from what i thought was 67 which married up to the picture as plug 67 is purple on your diagram!.

Anyway still no joy. Have put the wire to 67 as described. Its comes out the other side and i bent it agains the plug so must be making a connection. Earthed to the body (seatbelt bolt) but no luck when put in reverse.
My plug 1 seems to have a black wire coming from it. Is that the earth that i need to connect to then?

Sorry if being a bit stupid here but not sure why its not working.

Attachments

·
Administrator
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
It's looking right so should work
Have you spliced into the earth properly?

21 - 40 of 54 Posts