Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Administrator
11,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody got or used a pneumatic jack? I had some tyres change on my drive a few weeks ago and the guy had one. Not cheap but it looked pretty useful.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
So you also need a compressor?
I think you are sneaking boys' toys past your wife...
It won't end until you have that McLaren Senna on the drive, that oh so needs a pneumatic jack.....

·
Super Moderator
4,249 Posts
Not got one but yea ive seen them and they look cool af
But they need a air tank or at least i high quality compressor

·
Administrator
2,292 Posts
Not sure what advantage this offers over a hydraulic jack for the home user...

Air jacks are more commonly used in off-road recovery scenarios where either the ground is too soft for a conventional jack (sand, mud, snow) or you need to lift the entire vehicle out of a bog so you can shore up the wheels. These jacks are exhaust-powered. I have this one:

https://bushranger.com.au/product/exhaust-jack/

I sure as hell wouldn’t use it in my driveway!

·
Super Moderator
595 Posts
One advantage of a Bottle Jack or this air bag type of jack is that they lift straight up.

Trolley jacks tend to pull the vehicle, or slip as the lift arm comes to the end of it's reach. Only an issue if using a trolley jack on it upper reach.

Those exhaust jacks are handy when out on the trail I'm sure. I'm certain I've seen them before.

·
Administrator
2,292 Posts
One advantage of a Bottle Jack or this air bag type of jack is that they lift straight up.

Trolley jacks tend to pull the vehicle, or slip as the lift arm comes to the end of it's reach. Only an issue if using a trolley jack on it upper reach.

Those exhaust jacks are handy when out on the trail I'm sure. I'm certain I've seen them before.

Good point. Still, unless you have a handy supply of compressed air, using (compressible) air instead of (incompressible) hydraulic power doesn’t seem like there’s a point. A good hydraulic bottle jack is only a few bucks.

·
Administrator
11,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've got a ready supply of compressed air, it just seemed a quick way of jacking up the vehicle. Also quite a wide base which will prevent damage to my nicely tarmaced driveway.

·
Administrator
2,292 Posts
I've got a ready supply of compressed air, it just seemed a quick way of jacking up the vehicle. Also quite a wide base which will prevent damage to my nicely tarmaced driveway.

Ooh, fancy driveway!

How long does it take to lift a wheel, and how much control do you get over the speed of lift/drop?

·
Super Moderator
595 Posts
Yeah, they just seem stable in both control and footprint.

I actually had a look online at these air bag jacks last night after reading this, and found the main factor when looking to buy one is the height limit. The cheaper ones tend to top-out at about 300mm, whereas the ones closer to £1k and up, give you about 500mm. Also, they will only slide under motors higher than about 140mm, which is fine for our trucks, but no good for most cars.

I read online of one model reaching it's limit in 25 seconds. Maybe some are faster, but that seems nice, steady and controlled.

Although, I think you could be right, JDO, I think the good old bottle jack still wins this category for a few reasons right now!

·
Administrator
2,292 Posts
Honestly even after my suspension upgrade I still mainly use the Nissan scissor jack. It does the job and it’s (relatively) light. I carry the exhaust jack when off-roading, and I’m contemplating a high-lift jack to further complement my recovery kit.

The trailer has a bottle jack in it but I’ve never looked to see if it had the reach to lift the Navara.

·
Super Moderator
595 Posts
High-lifts are nice, we always had one strapped to the Landys.

No good for my Nav currently, since I have no aftermarket structured bumpers.

I've actually had a 3 tonne bottle jack in my eBay watch list for a while, £22 delivered, how is that even possible. It's the one thing which was a miss with my latest D40, missing jack.

·
Administrator
11,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thinking about it, I do have a 17t bottle Jack somewhere. A nice wide base and a load of lift. Just wonder where it is...

·
Super Moderator
595 Posts
Yeah, it's good to have a bottle jacks about, 17T is juicy.

I've been a while without one, and the missing scissor in my current D40 prompted the eBay bottle.

·
Administrator
11,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think I got the big bottle jack many years ago when a contract hire company forgot to remove the jacks from a fleet of trucks.

The jacks had to be removed to prevent drivers from attempting their own wheel changes.(Of course)

The original scissor jacks on the Navara are not exactly sturdy, I once got one out, then hurriedly put it back.

·
Super Moderator
595 Posts
Nice score, probably a good quality jack too.

Ah, but remember, we couldn't have a "driver" changing a wheel, he's not qualified, that could be an insurance infringement, or someones liability could be compromised!! What a joke day we live in, health and safety gone insane due to money, blame and greed.

Yeah, I thought I'd just replace the original scissor with a small bottle.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
The threaded bar of Nav scissor jacks stretch with use, being designed, I assume, for only a 1t car and thus made of chocolate....
If you need to get a wheel off, don't rely on it more than twice....

·
Administrator
2,292 Posts
The threaded bar of Nav scissor jacks stretch with use, being designed, I assume, for only a 1t car and thus made of chocolate....

If you need to get a wheel off, don't rely on it more than twice....

Oh I’ve used it more than twice... As far as scissor jacks go, it seems pretty good. I wonder if we get different parts in our market?

IMG_1876.jpg

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Yeah but you have a lad who can shoulder the load...

Maybe mine is not as well made as wherever yours was sourced from, but I have had to bash the threaded rod back into shape to get it to function - it is cheap and nasty, proper Nissan cost-saving. And no, I am not so daft as to lift the truck while attached to my 4.3t 5th wheel....! (Actually, it would be easier if I was hitched, as the electric legs are pretty strong and would lift at least one side of the rear of the truck if attached).

·
Administrator
2,292 Posts
Yeah but you have a lad who can shoulder the load...

Maybe mine is not as well made as wherever yours was sourced from, but I have had to bash the threaded rod back into shape to get it to function - it is cheap and nasty, proper Nissan cost-saving. And no, I am not so daft as to lift the truck while attached to my 4.3t 5th wheel....! (Actually, it would be easier if I was hitched, as the electric legs are pretty strong and would lift at least one side of the rear of the truck if attached).

It never occurred to me to uncouple the trailer first. Seems like I probably should.

·
Super Moderator
4,249 Posts
My scissor jack failed on me about a year ago
I was changing a flat and lowering it down when the screw became very stiff, about 2 turns later then whole thread failed and dropped the truck! Fortunately id already changed the wheel so no problem but it could have been much worse if id had the wheel off at the time
I have got a unused replacement out of a snaped chassis but i daren't use it so carry my trolley jack in the back now!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts