Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Id noticed rust bubbling around the arch extensions and fuel filler flap, and along the front corner of the tub.

As Im intending keeping the truck for a long time, Id already thought of getting hold of a better tub, so it can be fettled up and swapped over in the summer. thought Id take the nearside arch extension off and have a poke about, and it confirmed that this is the right course of action.

the design is brilliant for an off road vehicle in a wet climate in there are no inner arches, instead two pressed steel splashguards open at the front and rear serve to collect any muddy water splashed up rom the wheels, and hold it for just long enough for the silt to settle and sit on top of the splashguard, and behind the fuel filler flap. the fuel filler pipe shield on the offside also serves a similar purpose enabling wet silt to be held against the steel fuel pipe.

Anyway, after poking about at the nearside, and finding that most of the holes for the arch flare retaining plugs were actually much larger than the plugs, and removing a cubic foot of earth, and most of the inner splashguard from the nearside I decided to gaffer tape it all back together and look for a replacement tub.

found a black one on Ebay and took a punt on it. was £145 delivered, I think the poor bloke had understimated the faff of getting a body tub onto a pallet though and it took a while for him to find a courier that would take it.

its duly arrived, and had a power wash. the offside splash guard is confetti, but part of the plan is to cut these out anyway so I can get behind them and do a proper rustproofing job, and if I can, design out the mud traps.

Its also looking in a lot better condition than mine round the plastic arch flare plugs which Im quite relieved about

the nearside splash guard's good and solid too.

just need some decent weather now as Ill have to work outside on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
cut the splash guard back to good metal and made a wheelarch repair. havent gone as far as I could with dressing the welds flush as its all covered up.

the third and 4th pics show a tennis ball sized lump of wet muck that was stuck in there despite a good poking about withe the power washer before I started :surprise:

Im thinking of a row of a few 20mm holes along the bottom of the splash guards. firstly it will let me get the cavity wax nozzle in properly after the repair, and secondly once its fitted I can get the garden hose in regularly to flush everything out.

Attachments

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Progress.

Ive removed the inner pressing for the fuel filler flap by carefully drilling the spot welds.

its going to need a clean up and a couple of small patches tigging up.

a couple of small areas on the load bed and a an outrigger have failed the scale hammer test so they have been plated up.

Got all the surface rust ground off the underside on saturday and applied a rust converter.

Attachments

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
made good progress over the weekend, repaired the filler inner panel pressing and refitted it, and got 2 litres of 2 pack epoxy zinc chromate primer underneath it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
loving your work :)

One question though, the expoxy undercoat. Is this as harmful as other 2k paints, or is it pretty safe to spray without full on force fed breathing equipment etc, and no risk of the neighbours cat keeling over?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
epoxy is ok to spray with an organic vapour mask. for spraying the 2k ( which I did outside ) I used loads and loads of masking paper to catch any overspray, and bagged it after. I used full tyvek suit, nitrile gloves,indirectly vented goggles, and a vapour and particle mask, not recommending this approach to anyone else though.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Finally (nearly) finished. More than pleased with the end result. ive also desagged the front end. Got a soft load cover on the way. Cut the filler out of the old tub, more than enough mud in there despite regular power washing in my ownership, it must have built up since new, won’t happen again

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Nice job
Can I ask did you replace the splash guard on the filler side or leave it off
As I am just repairing my tub and wondered if it would fail a mot if I just left the splash guard out don't really fancy fab bing one if I don't need to
Cheers steve

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts