Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm a Brit living in Hungary and I am strongly thinking of buying a DC Navara (the tax situation here makes them very attractive financially - as opposed to the other 4x4's I am used to owning.)

I just have a few questions:

1) With a normal load canopy on the back (height same as the cabin) can I get adult push bikes in? If so have many? Or how to people solve this problem if they are using a canopy.
2) Reading the What Car section on the Navara (http://www.whatcar.co.uk/car-review-readers.aspx?RT=745) does give a negative impression. However this forum does not. Can I expect the back axle to fall off just as the Sat nav/bluetooth fry themselves to oblivion?
3) What is a good crusing speed?
4) Any drawbacks running it as family transport for two growing sons?

I have the written offer in front of me. I need to convince the Missus ("you are joking aren't you?") that 5 metres of pickup parked in the drive is a good idea. However, even she understands that because of my midlife crisis and my growing sons (i.e. lots of active sports etc.) the current stable is not big enough.

Sorry for the lots of questions, I am used to a Shogun (that my Brother just wrote off) and I pondering a bit.

Regards, Pieter
Budapest
Ps. nice forum by the way.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I bought my D22 in febuary purely because its built in japan, stereo aint as fancy as D40 and doesn't have sat nav. Australia spec D22 are good for 3 ton towing capacity.

Not sure about Europe spec towing anyway, They use the YD25DDTI, awesome engine, Australia gets the ZD30DDT which are awesome.

D40's are good truck's but build quality aren't as good as D22.
D40's are built in spain.
D22's are built in japan.

Having said that to my knowledge only the D22 is built in japan still. Every other japanese utility is either built in thialand(Rodeo, Hilux, Tritons, bravo's ) D40's is built in spain.

All factory faults will be repaired under warrenty.

·
Registered
279 Posts
hi mate,

do not think you will get bikes in the back upright with a canopy on, though you might if you drop the saddle and remove the front wheel but i would guess the max would be three.
i run mine with a moutain top and can mount 4 bikes i have posted a picture below.

it is good for crusing at around 80 - 90 no problem and not too noisy.

hope that helps

[/url]

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hi hazzah and welcome
I have a D40 Navara
1. not sure how many bikes you can fit in the back with a canopy.....but it would be a pain in the a$$ getting them in and out.....better option would be bike racks that fit on the roof or tailgate, "Thule" have some good options.
2. there was an issue with the rear axle in the first batch 2005, mine had a recall and they changed the bearings......its not a issue anymore.
3.It cruises on 110 kms (our highest speed limit) very nicely.
4.Im 6' 2" (188cm) and can sit in the back quite comfortably.....my knees just touch the front seat if it is all the way back. I to have a couple of kids and they have plenty of room in the back and are still able to fight with each other :roll: .

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dave said:
I bought my D22 in febuary purely because its built in japan, stereo aint as fancy as D40 and doesn't have sat nav. Australia spec D22 are good for 3 ton towing capacity.

Not sure about Europe spec towing anyway, They use the YD25DDTI, awesome engine, Australia gets the ZD30DDT which are awesome.

D40's are good truck's but build quality aren't as good as D22.
D40's are built in spain.
D22's are built in japan.

Having said that to my knowledge only the D22 is built in japan still. Every other japanese utility is either built in thialand(Rodeo, Hilux, Tritons, bravo's ) D40's is built in spain.

All factory faults will be repaired under warrenty.
Thanks for that... yes I know the "place of build" can make a big difference... and the original Patrols from Spain 15 years ago were pretty dire. Suzuki offroaders have also been made in different places even for the same model.

My route to the Navara was via the Pathfinder. However here in Hungary rather than pitch it underneath the "Premium" 4x4's as they have in the UK, they have pitched it at the same level as Discoverys. I decent spec Pathfinder is about 6000 GBP more expensive here in Hungary on Base price. The Navara is "almost" the same car but is actually cheaper here than in the UK on base price. Work that one out...

My mate in the UK uses the D40 as a builders mate. And other than very "soft" paintwork, and the roll top not being waterproof, he likes the vehicle. Also the Missus will be happier sitting in a nicely specced Navara than a more basic pickup.

I also remember buying my Shogun with a petrol engine, because the diesel alternative was 90 BHP an was not much more economical. 170 BHP ?- now we are talking.

Then there is the registration tax on non-commcercial vehicles here. Which adds another 3000 GBP or so to the price of a Pathfinder. So I am looking at a Navara because it is basically over 10000+ GBP cheaper than a Pathfinder so represents great value for money (here!).

So that is why I am tempted (sorely) by the D40... and being a previous (recently) Mitsubishi owner (thanks Bruv) I think the new L200 looks awful (really awful), and the Missus thinks the same and likes the look of the D40.

So if you have got this far without nodding off then that is why the D40 appeals :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jayk said:
hi mate,

do not think you will get bikes in the back upright with a canopy on, though you might if you drop the saddle and remove the front wheel but i would guess the max would be three.
i run mine with a moutain top and can mount 4 bikes i have posted a picture below.

it is good for crusing at around 80 - 90 no problem and not too noisy.

hope that helps
Thanks... as is often the case posting the question makes you think more about it... but I had not though of your solution... I suppose it is one of the joys of a pickup, you can actually custom your car to what you want.

80-90 (130-145 kph) is exactly what I am looking for.

Cheers.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
navara-au said:
Hi hazzah and welcome
I have a D40 Navara
1. not sure how many bikes you can fit in the back with a canopy.....but it would be a pain in the a$$ getting them in and out.....better option would be bike racks that fit on the roof or tailgate, "Thule" have some good options.
2. there was an issue with the rear axle in the first batch 2005, mine had a recall and they changed the bearings......its not a issue anymore.
3.It cruises on 110 kms (our highest speed limit) very nicely.
4.Im 6' 2" (188cm) and can sit in the back quite comfortably.....my knees just touch the front seat if it is all the way back. I to have a couple of kids and they have plenty of room in the back and are still able to fight with each other :roll: .
1. Yes I am starting to get my brain in gear on the push bikes issues. But inside the hard top is obviously not an option. I have had enough of trying to put bikes on high roofs, so either like the picture above or off the tailgate/ towbar. I was never a fan of putting three bikes on the towbar/tailgate with a normal family car, but I doubt that weight off the back has any effect on the Navara.
3. The normal flow of traffic on the motorways in from the Channel to here is around the 130/140 (though in Holland they strictly keep to 120 kph).
4. There speaks a father... I just did 3500kms with them in the back - hence the push from the wife to get a larger "family" car" - at least they are farther apart in the back with a Navara...

Thanks.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Perhaps a ply wood panel in the back to separate the kids??....sorry just thinking aloud. :lol:

The best thing to do if your keen is take the family on a test drive and see if it meets your needs, let the missus have a drive.....but I'm warning you she may not want to give it back to you.
My missus loves driving mine.

Just realise that it is a light truck and the rear suspension and brakes are set up for that, so compared to the pathfinder it probably not quite as soft ride. But compared to my last duel cab (Toyota hilux) its like driving a range rover....well if i ever drove a range rover that is.. :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
navara-au said:
Perhaps a ply wood panel in the back to separate the kids??....sorry just thinking aloud. :lol:

The best thing to do if your keen is take the family on a test drive and see if it meets your needs, let the missus have a drive.....but I'm warning you she may not want to give it back to you.
My missus loves driving mine.

Just realise that it is a light truck and the rear suspension and brakes are set up for that, so compared to the pathfinder it probably not quite as soft ride. But compared to my last duel cab (Toyota hilux) its like driving a range rover....well if i ever drove a range rover that is.. :D
Good idea... Actually I was thnking of a Rolls type setup with the chaffeur (me) cut off from them and let them get on with it.

Oh the kids love "jeeps" (in their langauge) and the wife likes the feeling of "safety" it gives her. We were passing the showrooms today (like you do by sheer chance :wink: ) and I got her to sit in it. She actually could not find too much to say against it from the inside (whcih in woman's speak is a positive), however her major comment was "Why do you want one of these, only builders drive them?" (we just had some work done on the house and both the builders drove pickups.) The logic of the "pickup" part also completely fails her.

Compared to my deceased Shogun the D40 is also like a Range Rover. I actually had a drive in a new Discovery and as far as enjoyment goes the Navara was very similar. Of course the Discovery can be driven at ridiculous speeds without a thought. However, I have always had a good impression of AVO shocks, so I would probably change the rears.

The bad news from Nissan Hungary today is that Automatics are scarce and I will have to order one with a delivery date of early April (who waits five months for a pickup?). However, I can use an agent to buy a car in Germany (any colour or spec), and import it - elapsed time is ten days from taking a deposit. Oh it is also cheaper than Nissan here and the guarantee is still valid.

Pieter
Budapest

·
Registered
221 Posts
Plumbers drive them too.. :D not just builders......they are becoming more popular here as an alternative family car. Comfortable enough inside and you have all that room in the back for carrying stuff....down side the missus will want to carry even more luggage. :x.

Just take into account the big turning circle 13mtrs......I assume there are a lot of tight roads in your part of Europe, and a rear view camera will come in handy (i have one).....you dont want to reverse over a porsche.

Well if you do decide to get a D40 post some pics.......hell post some pics anyway, Hungary, from what i have seen on travel shows, looks very nice.

paul

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
navara-au said:
Plumbers drive them too.. :D not just builders......they are becoming more popular here as an alternative family car. Comfortable enough inside and you have all that room in the back for carrying stuff....down side the missus will want to carry even more luggage. :x.

Just take into account the big turning circle 13mtrs......I assume there are a lot of tight roads in your part of Europe, and a rear view camera will come in handy (i have one).....you dont want to reverse over a porsche.

Well if you do decide to get a D40 post some pics.......hell post some pics anyway, Hungary, from what i have seen on travel shows, looks very nice.

paul
Thanks....

"Plumbers drive them too.. :D" - Yes I know... and at the hourly rates they charge ... :wink: :)

My ambition is let my wife loose on the hills near the back of our house (our village is home to the local Lada Niva and SJ clubs) - I remember the first time she drove a car - she launched my Shogun off a ridge... strong cars Shoguns :shock: There is still freedom in Hungary (though like everywhere else this is changing), in fact it is one of the best off-roading countries in Europe, because it has the land and the facilities...

The rear view camera does not appear to be an option is this part of Europe... I will check, but it is not listed. Porsche drivers are so scared of their cars disappearing "east" that they never park them on the streets anyway.

Well I progressed the process a bit further. Nissan dealers are useless. So I did the old trick of playing one dealer off against another. So the delivery time miraculously comes down to 10 weeks. Plus I am checking on the stock of the dealers in countryside.

So the price for a non Satnav, but with everything else (leather, automatic, diff lock, metallic paint) is just under GBP 22000. To give you some idea of how they load up the Pathfinder, the equivalent spec Pathfinder is just over GBP 35000. Now you can see why the Navara is good value for money.

Now I have the "official" offer from Nissan, I will try the import brokers to see what they can deliver in "10 days Sir from Germany."

Pieter
Budapest

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I have managed to track down some earlier delivery cars (5 cars before the end of January)... and I have an amazing colour choice - yes it is either Black or errr... Black... every single pickup ordered by the dealers for their own stock is Black... seems it is the "safest" choice.

Now you might like black, and I like black. But unfortunately in Hungary people with Big Black "jeeps" are usually stereotyped. It is shall we say a badge of office for people into illegal activities. No I may not worry about that so much, but the wife is not too keen on looking like a member of the Mafia...

Also I have to get a complete skinhead, were wrap around shades (even in Winter), have a mobile permanently to my ear, and have a blonde in a miniskirt sitting next to me. Oh and drive like a complete toss*r, inviting trouble just for the fun of it. As a sterotype it is actually quite close to the truth!

Of course the Navara does not fit into the normal car wash, and black cars here get very dirty her (in the winter from the slush, and in summer from the dust.)

Hmmm... nothing is ever simple.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am a Navara salesman in the UK. I have some Navaras coming in that are not black. If you are interested please reply :eek:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
paulyw69 said:
I am a Navara salesman in the UK. I have some Navaras coming in that are not black. If you are interested please reply :eek:

Thanks... though I did drive a RHD car here for 10 years, I would need a LHD with no VAT. Actually in the end it really is not worth the hassle to Import yourself from another country (best via broker/importer). I did it myself a few years ago (with a LHD UK car) and Hungarian bureaucracy is a real experience. You are probably talking a good two to three days shuffling between various locations (with long queues) within Budapest - best to let someone else do it.

Having said that I will be importing a couple of Hillman Imps in the not too distant future :shock: :lol:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I had a talk to wife about buying the Navara last night and that the colour would be Black if it is to be delivered this year... and....

"I am NOT driving around in a hearse!!!" - she reckons a black one with a hard top looks like a hearse. For those countries that do not have a tradition of LWB Jag conversions, if truth be told, she does have point (if a small one.) You see I prepared myself for all sorts of replies, but the "hearse" one completely took me by surprise, which of course I should have antcipated with her being female.

So I do not know how this will progress, but her arguments do not make sense. She proposed a series of other cars, to which my answers were,

Too expensive,
Haidressers,
Same size as the Navara (she thinks the Navara is too big),
Bigger than the Navara,
Same size as our current Forester
Dogs/bikes etc. are not really suited to it
Not 4x4 (it has to be 4x4)
and so on...

On the hearse front she may have come up with a great business idea. The Navara Hearse...

20" wheels - chrome
Spinners
Black foiled windows
Blue lights everywhere (especially shining on to the road)
A huge bass box thumping out a slow beat (well it could just play some hip-hop because all you ever hear is the beat and not the "music")

There we have it, a hearse for the teenager who drove his Saxo/Corsa too fast... all his friends (who were not in the car with at the time) would think it the ultimate in cool... 8)

·
Registered
221 Posts
hazzah said:
and have a blonde in a miniskirt sitting next to me.
So ....where do i get a black one from mate?......sounds alright to me :lol: .

And since when does a bloke listen to his wife anyway????....my wife says i never listen to her......or something like that...lol

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
navara-au said:
hazzah said:
and have a blonde in a miniskirt sitting next to me.
So ....where do i get a black one from mate?......sounds alright to me :lol: .

And since when does a bloke listen to his wife anyway????....my wife says i never listen to her......or something like that...lol
Now the issue is not whether you listen or not. I could quite easliy go out and buy the car - no the issue is the regrets you have at some point later on when she "gently" reminds you "It was not her idea to buy this car"... (and from then on peridocially repeats the same statement)

It is best not to be so brave and try and include her in the decision making.

So after a week for her to think about the overall idea (and me giving her an ultimatum that after this week I would stop thinking about changing the old car) she has eventually come around to the basic idea... BUT... as long as the car is not Black or Silver...

Now is there a Non black or Silver automatic in Hungary? No... And the import Brokers are quoting a GBP 2500 premium for a two week delivery from Germany (God bless em...) For GBP2500 I could do it myself...

So it is one step forward and two steps back...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well I just thought I would enlighten you all with progress...

and it is bad news. Possibly/probably terminal...

You see Hungary has a thing for bureaucracy and qualifications... it is just the way things are here (you can take an exam here to operate a checkout till.) Normally you can work around things, but some things you cannot - even if they are crazy.

THe problem is that Hungary has not moved forward its legislation with regards to commercial vehicles. The Navara is classed here as a commercial vehicle. So? you might ask?

Well how about a maximum speed limit of 80 kmh...
or the need to keep a detailed mileage log (on official forms)...
or needing an upgraded driving licence...
or if putting a towbar on, a full Commericial licence...
or not being allowed to use the outside lane on motorways...
or being barred from built-up areas wherever they have the round sign with a truck on it...
And I am sure there are others aswell...

Sometimes this country can really p*ss you off with the stupidity of its regulations. Of course the Police know the stupidity of them aswell, which is why in these cases (a large conspicuous vehicle) they take very opportunity to pull you over (easy pickings). Of course passing your test here often just involves taking a few lessons and then bribing (sorry tipping if you pass) the instructor. There are cars that should not even be on the road, but again seem to pass the MOT. But drive a modern pickup in the outside lane of a motorway at 90 kmh and your knicked.

So unless I can find a work around, then it looks like the Navara is non-starter. It may be possible to get my one-off vehicle type approved as a Passenger Car - but that is whole different set of bureaucracy.

Am I p*ssed off...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Oh and I forgot...

The dealers here are selling the DC vehicles as Lifestyle PASSENGER vehicles. Did any of them mention the regulations? Did they hell...

I confronted one when I found out. Silence followed the answer "yes maybe something like that". I did not even get the usual "but the Police never usually bother with those regs..."

God bless dealers...

·
Registered
221 Posts
Well its good to see bureaucracie alive and well in Budapest.....I suppose they had to give the old bureaucrats from the communist regime something to do :lol:

I guess they will catch up to the rest of the world eventually.

Meanwhile what are you going to get?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.