Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I am only getting 350km to a tank on my nav. I know I should be getting much more.
I noticed that when I rev in neutral to about 3500rpm, I get black smoke coming out of the exhaust.
any ideas what I should look at to fix this problem?
thank you in advance

·
Registered
976 Posts
do the basic's first....

replace air filter....REPLACE IT not clean it.

oil and oil filter change.

how many km's has it done? whats the vechile history like, could the milage be suspect?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks tweake

it has done 160,000km and i have recently changed my injectors and i have done a service (oil filter, fuel filter, air filter and oil change about 1,000km ago).

i am getting 350km to about 50ltrs, around 13ltr to 100km...

I am sure i should be getting around 10ltr to 100km..

regards

·
Registered
976 Posts
is it still making black smoke?

the other ything to look at is EGR mods. i don't know what EGR system it has (if it has one). quite comman for egr valve to stick open and casue loss of fuel economy and make it smoke.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks tweak'e

black smoke has dissapeared, but now i'm getting a little white smoke during cold morings on cold start. generally the smoke stops when engine is warm.
there is a strong smell coming from the exhaust, where my friends hilux has hardly any smell. I feel that somehow it is running rich....
could this have something to do with my injection pump timing being out of whack?

·
Registered
217 Posts
have your pump checked in my opinion generally with the older vehicles they tend to start drinking fuel like a fish but you can not compare are vehicle in aus, nz, uk and africa because the vehicles timing are different because of the altitudes that they are set to because down under you guys tend to say that your vehicles are much more heavier on gas compared to us up on the north of the world (uk) but i strongly recomend having your pump checked and the usual oil filter air filter (if you have after market filters then it also has a effect on the fuel consumption)

another thing is a vehicle fuel consumption is a estimate, it is given on average speeds of 60kmph or 50mph and not 100mph 120kmph so if you driving at higher speeds i would exspect the fuel consumption to be higher

my 2p and i do stand to be corrected

·
Registered
71 Posts
no correction just addition :)
we have vehicles that get similar problems when hitting that amount of milage, we account for fuel/oil/mileage usage each month so the monitoring is quite good, and the standard checks involve a diestest and pump timing, (after full service), if the oil and fuel consumption gets too high, just to check compression and therfore wear on cyl liners and piston rings. i dont know the engine but this can account for oil smoke on cold start but also turbo wear can account for the initial oil cloud. all things which occur with age dependent on usage.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 3.2 D22 with 123000klms on it bought just recently and it was getting about the same consumption which worried me a bit. My problem was the thermostat. The truck would take ages to warm up and when puttin' around in the bush the temp would go all the way back to cold. So i put in a new thermostat and temp sits at exactly the same point no matter what i do and now it seems to have better fuel economy. About 12-13L/100klm. Also the way you drive it can make a big difference to fuel economy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts