Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Super Moderator
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i've probably bored everyone to death I know in the real world and on here about it... BUT my NP300 has FINALLY arrived today! (about 1:30)

My first thoughts? Well the entire process of ordering a vehicle through a lease company for a petrol head like me is very frustrating. At the start of the process they say " we will be in touch to give you regular updates" that to me was an email to say it had been given a chassis number, started on the production line, finished, tested, dispatched, delivered etc etc. Anyway as it happens their idea of regular updates is to basically commence radio silence for 12/16 weeks (only pestering from me got an acknowledgment it was even ordered properly!) with nothing more than a simple email to say "its at the dealer, we will ring you when we want to deliver it!" Even today "we will ring you when they are an hour away", no phone call and it suddenly arrived outside!

Anyway, she arrived as a virgin truck without a protection pack or anything so I set to in the 30*c heat fitting an Eagle 4x4 tailgate power lock, tailgate liner, load liner, tailgate seal and finally a hardtops UK SJS hard top with gullwing windows. Now finally waiting for a kebab to be delivered and its pretty much "finished" just the wiring for the lock kit to finish and a touch of bonding to put here and there.

Anyway enough waffle - here are some pictures!

·
Premium Member
11,345 Posts
Very nice mate, very nice. Great colour too, a lighter shade than the D40.

Have fun with the new toy :confetti:confetti

·
Super Moderator
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks fellas, it should be good! I'll see how it goes for the 35-40k a year I do.

Shes up to 138 miles now... lol

·
Super Moderator
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks good. Is that the silver or twilight grey?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks mate. It's twilight grey although I admit it looks quite light in the pictures.

·
Super Moderator
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Very nice Np300 , enjoy it :awesomework

Are you going to do some mods or keep it stock?
Pretty much the only mods it will get are the ones I have done already.

Its a company and work vehicle so I won't be spending money on it (other than some genuine mats I found on ebay for it last night for a bargain!). I think it will be hard to convince my MD that it needs more money spending on mods haha.

I am pleased though, after yesterdays high temperatures we had a big thunderstorm and a huge amount of rain from about 6am till 10am this morning, and I've been out and the back of the truck bed is bone dry, its full of cardboard at the moment from the hardtop so that would show any rain. There are two small gaps I need to do something about at the front of the bed. I was going to bond them but having looked in closer detail I might try and find some sort of seal to go over them.

Out of interest, I noticed mine has been wax oiled to death underneath - possibly as an attempt to stop the chassis issues with a D40. Is everyone else's NP300 the same?

Now to be honest I couldn't care less as it will be in warranty till the end of the lease (give or take) and if its rusted through in 3 years that's a serious issue but its interesting if its the dealer doing this rather than the importer/manufacturer

·
Super Moderator
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've now managed around 30 miles in it, absolutely pathetic but I've been so busy with work and other jobs and not had any site visits its been hard to actually find a journey to go a complete. So yesterday I managed to get to the tip, nervously as they are known to be a bit picky when it comes to commercials but I pulled up at the cardboard bin like I knew what I was doing and just started unloading. One of them trotted over and I thought "here we go" and much to my surprise started helping! I don't know how many times I've been there in a multitude of vehicles, (My old M5, both range rovers and a 5 touring I had, often with the trailer!) and they've never helped so I'm not sure what was different this time!

Today I've been to the railway station to collect a colleague who was taking my old van back to Glasgow so that was almost 10 miles of a round trip.

Economy so far is just shy of 29mpg which for a vehicle that still only got 160 miles on the clock round town I don't think is half bad!

I've also been and had a proper key cut for the tailgate lock as I am yet to complete the power lock wiring and thought it best to have a proper spare. £15 from Timpsons in the end as it was a key with a chip in it, I went to our local Asda which has a Johnsons dry cleaners advertising key cutting who said they "didn't do car keys" so be warned if anyone is thinking of being clever like I was!

One final observation, it might just be people pointing saying "look at that knob" but twice today I spotted people pointing out the NP300 as I drove past. One guy in a D4 pointed it out to his mate, and another couple of chaps walking along the road, I feel like a minor celebrity!

·
Super Moderator
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll have had her a week tomorrow, today I've managed just over 200 miles at an average of about 37mpg according to the trip. It doesn't seem far of as I've done about 240 miles on a fraction less than half a tank.

A nice relaxing cruise down the motorway taking it easy as we are still in the running in stage, up to 370 miles all told now! However it was very pleasant to be able to pull strongly from little over tickover with a part throttle application. My shoulder doesn't hurt and I feel the NP300 is undoing 6 years/260k of damage caused by an astra! My only gripe? I feel the idle speed is very low for an oil burner causing some NVH through the chassis of the car an I had noticed that rolling along in gear at tickover in traffic it seems to hold around 900rpm for 30 seconds or so and then drop to 700rpm despite being still in gear which was a bit annoying as it causes the truck to slow down. Still minor points, hard to get out of "astra mode"

Also had a touch of Tekna envy today as a Black one on a 16 plate overtook me just below Preston with its LED DRL's making mine look like a poor relation!

Glasgow tomorrow so we should be nearer 700 by the time I get back on Wednesday and then to the Isle of Man on Thursday although I can't decide whether to take the the 650i, the Rangie or the Navara over there... First world problems eh?

·
Super Moderator
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You've got a Range Rover & a bmw 650i & a Navara :-o

What RR do you got? P38,L322 or L405?
Haha well the Navara is my company vehicle I am going to the IoM for work but th ferry goes a few miles from my house so no problem to use my own.

I have a late 01 P38 Vogue, one of the last which I bought in January before I knew I was getting the navara so it's kinda silly having it but it does roar around nicely!

http://www.nissan-navara.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=22825&stc=1&d=1469486380

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So two weeks in, and up to 1223 miles shes going well. Becoming more of an old friend that the "new vehicle". We spent the weekend in the IoM and I even found a little ford to splash through - pictures at the end.

Thoughts? Well I have to say though the keyless ignition is so annoying. You get in the truck, nowhere to put the keys so you sling them on the passenger seat and come to stop and want to take the keys from the ignition and of course they are hiding somewhere on the passenger seat.

I'm also finding the navigation a bit odd at times, it doesn't have use some odd routes to get to places and I find it frustrating that it doesn't deal with a post code such as CA2 4HQ as CA24HQ, if you don't add the space when entering it tries to use CA24 0xx. However I have finally found out how to turn of the irritating beep when it displays a new instruction on the central cluster screen and I've also found the setting for the very annoying and pointless "dial flick" and turned that of.

Despite the mileage I have only filled up twice, the first tank being a genuine 31.9mpg (410 miles) and the second being 33mpg even (475 miles). Dash is currently saying 33.8 on the overalll from new so its not a million miles of. Now on the third tank and past the running in stage we seem to be well on for 500 miles from this tank. Wigan tomorrow, Chester on Thursday and Warrington on Friday should see me well into another tank before the end of the week.

·
Super Moderator
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A month in and we are up to 2400 miles.

Some more thoughts... I drive slower than in any other 'van' I've had. I think it's because I actually like it, it's quiet and a combination of advancing age.... 30 this time! Where as the old Astras were so noisey in comparison, I don't feel like I need to rush in the navara. The fact it's got some guts to pull out from behind a slower vehicle means I don't mind waiting. Funny how a change of vehicle can change your driving habits!

However I do wish 6th was a bit taller 2500rpm @75 is really not needed although I noticed 55 (towing speed) falls nicely at peak torque at 1750rpm so I suppose that's where the short gearing comes from.

Economy seems to be improving, not many fills ups yet but they have been genuine 31/32/33/33/34.5 mpg so moving in the right direction! I feel my next fill (tomorrow morning) will show around 37mpg which is getting to where I'd like it to be.

The connect thing is still annoying me a bit, it doesn't have choose some weird routes. Having looked st the manual tonight it claims it's possible to see the route list although I couldn't find it today. Will check tomorrow!

Next issue today was I jumped in the truck today in Barnsley to return home and immediately called a colleague I'd missed a call from as I nosed out of the car park. Once the call was in progress I was unable to actually choose a new route through the navigation although I could view the map just not set the destination as home. No huge drama but very annoying!

Final thoughts for this update? My other half as a little manual 1 series and th gear lever movement is comically short compared to the signal box gearbox in the navara. Whilst driving my old P38 at the weekend I realised just how obstructive the navaras high bonnet edges are compared to the Range Rover which has so much more visability and much thinner roof pillars. Such is progress! The 650i has mainly remained on the drive so no recent comparison between the two other than I feel exceptionally low down and performance dramatically improves compares to the navara and the P38!

·
Super Moderator
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Approximately 7 weeks in, now just shy of 5000 miles.

Interestingly my shoulder has begun to hurt which is not something I've had for a while, I dont think is navara related but will see if it goes.

Dash economy (from new) is now showing 36.7mpg which isn't far of what I actually get from a tank. Some journeys can be very economical, approaching 40mpg and beyond according to the trip 2 which automatically resets on each journey, however others in the low 20's seem to drag the overall down considerably. I am a little disappointed that its so far from the claimed figures especially as I do drive with a mind for economy (possibly guilt, a colleague just collected a new fiesta van his own choice, but still!). I think its frustrating that its only 3mpg better than a 4.8l petrol V8 BMW 650i when driven in the same manor! (I know the nav is heavier is as aerodynamic as a warehouse...). I'm not paying and no one seems to bothered, I'm still comfortably managing 500 miles to a tank often before the fuel reserve light illuminates.

My Eco score is 83 at the moment, I did reset that a while ago from 80 ish and it seems to have settled back at 82/3 again.

I thought I would use the smart phone integration but the fact there is only one USB socket and no onboard memory in the connect system for music storage means I've never removed the memory stick full of MP3's from the USB socket, so no room for the phone to be plugged in... Why on earth it can't use the integration through the bluetooth I don't know but here in lies the limitation of the Nissan connect 2.0 system.

SJS hardtop still doing OK, surprisingly the locks have become a little stiff after two months but it appears to have stayed pretty dry despite the torrential rain of late. I have not yet found any water on anything in the back but there are some tell tale water drip marks on the load liner. However this could easily be from me opening and shutting the gullwings and it dripping at that time.

I have however found a pretty stupid Nissan Design flaw, I park my NP300 on the left side of the road up on the curb, If you open a left door, particularly the rear left door and its been raining the water left in the door seals/gutters I think promptly empties its self into the rear foot well... Brilliant when its full of IT equipment!

Last thoughts for this one? Well in a minor bout of frustration the other day I thought I'd let the little YS23DDTT in the front sing up to 4500rpm red line for the first time I had never felt the need, all the torque at the bottom end whats the point in revving her... Well what a treat I got with those 190 snorting beasts making them selves available in the last 1000rpm it really pulled quite well at the top end which is unusual for a diesel and I was pleasantly surprised, once I had regained my hearing.... If anyone cars about the rest of the fleet, OH back at work now after 13 months on maternity so the "due" service on her 1 series is now really "due", P38 looks majestic as ever with sparking blue Oslo paint work and an empty petrol tank (standard feature @ 15mpg) and the 650i is also currently gleaming and glinting in the sun after going for a hugely expensive "wash" at the detailers where she spent the night and was treated to a full spruce up and machine polish. I got that home and I kid you not within two hours a bloody seagull had blown its load down the side of it. You couldn't make it up!

·
Super Moderator
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
A route through the calendar tells me that my NP300 arrived on the 19th of July, which makes tomorrow two months! How time has flown.

I cruised through 6000 miles on Thursday, ended up home on 6017 or so which puts me right on the money of 36,000 a year, leased amount was 35,000 so thats not bad. Trying to keep it down as I would normally do around 40k a year. So far so good!

The back end of last week saw me run from Peterborough to Wellingborough. A fill up near Kettering was expensive and a quick mental calculation saw that tank being in line with most of the others at around 36mpg genuine. However the resulting cruise back to the Lakes and the following day over to Leeds and back resulted in some curious figures on the dash. Every journey completed at more than 40mpg, astonishing. I actually stopped for some food at hartside services and the resulting run down into Leeds saw well north of 50mpg, heart breaking to see it bleed away in the traffic despite by very best genuine efforts that individual trip was 49.2mpg when pulling up outside the customer!

Anyway with all these unbelievable dash figures, a range showing 300 miles despite covering 390 miles on just over half a tank (!) I decided to fill up on the Thursday evening just to see what she had managed. I was gutted to find it was just 39.2mpg genuine (dash overall showing 37). Still 39mpg? I'll take that as its what i said it would do to my company (phew). Interestingly the range showed 700 miles on leaving the petrol station. Perhaps that's a hyper mileing goal for someone?

As for the rest of the fleet, the 1 series is still politely requesting a service. The 650i burst into life on Friday to take my son and I up to a preserved railway for some lunch and we had some "sport" with an M135i on the way back. Much to my surprise there wasn't as much in it as you would image but the speed of the gearbox in the M135i (8 speed) was astonishing compared to the old 6 speed in my 650i. He would gain a car length just from the gearbox reaction time (and I think ability to block shift) and then the big V8 would then start to reel in the little 1 series (325bhp/332lbft vs 367bhp/360lbft). The P38 got a run out on Saturday for some lunch and the only thing to report is the ever optimistic dash economy jumped from 18.1 to 18.2 mpg.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts