Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Super Moderator
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here she is, seems to have come round quickly to me but my new 2019 Tekna is here, I went to collect it yesterday - quite a journey to get to FJ Chalkes in Wincanton. 4 trains in total, Bare to Lancaster, Lancaster to Wolverhampton, Wolverhampton to Reading and then Reading to Castle Cary. I left just before 8:30am and didn't make it back home until 9:30pm so quite a long day.

Handover went smoothly and quickly although I was keen to get going just for the distance so I didn't really check it over that well. A couple of things disappointed me slightly in that there wasn't a sniff of diesel in it and it has a few marks on the seats, I think its excess cleaning fluid but there is also a very dirty mark on the B pillar, it'll clean up but I have let Chalkes know just so they can keep an eye on the quality of the PDI process. However it looked smart on the outside and had 20 miles on the clock.

https://www.nissan-navara.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=61385&thumb=1

https://www.nissan-navara.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=61383&thumb=1

Anyway - first job was to the petrol station and the Euro 6 model with the 73l tank took 69.5 liters in the petrol station. The very best I've ever managed to get in my Euro 5 model has been 71l. Initial range reported as a disappointing 430 miles and of I went with the navigation insisted we went via Bath due to road closures.

First impressions, well for the first 100 miles the gearbox was holding onto gears far longer than I would have liked but it improved through the rest of the 260 mile journey. It feels more refined than the Nconnecta, I'm not sure if its the transmission or the engine or other changes but engine noise is substantially quieter, the windows are much better and there is must less vibration through the cabin. Interestingly, and as I suspected, the 7 speed auto is much wider geared than the manual by around 15%, so 70mph in 7th in the auto is 2000rpm, where as its 2300rpm in the manual and it makes a big difference. It managed an indicated 42mpg over the first 160 miles, I stopped for something to eat and on the second leg it managed an indicated 40mpg. Using just 1/2 a tank to do the 260 mile journey home. I'd have expected 280 from the manual but the auto does have a smaller tank so its not looking bad so far! (I have to admit though the Tekna was of course unladen)

I'm going to do a separate thread with a direct comparison between the two in detail to show what has changed over the years but there are more tiny differences than I expected. I am waiting on a new seal for the tailgate and the hardtop to come before moving them and I probably won't use the new one until next week at the earliest. So she can bask in the sunshine with 280 miles on the clock for a few days!

https://www.nissan-navara.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=61389&thumb=1

https://www.nissan-navara.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=61387&thumb=1

https://www.nissan-navara.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=61391&thumb=1

Attachments

·
Registered
369 Posts
Nice choice of colour... shame they haven’t updated the alloy design.... I put trek wheels on.

The auto really hangs onto gears during the warm up phase to achieve full running temperature as soon as possible. It’s annoying sometimes and I find myself using the manual change at those times.

I wonder if they have increased the fuel tank size though?? My 17 plate eu6 has never had more than 61 litres at any fill in 2 years! I have run it as low as I ever would, way after the display reads - - and still only ever 60 litres goes in!

Good news if your tank is bigger as around 370 seems my average range for my use.

Hope you enjoy it. :)

·
Super Moderator
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers guys, I've not driven it since as still using the old one until the end of the week when I transfer the top over. Might as well put the miles on the old rattle box. The new one does feel much more refined though!

As for fuel tank capacity, id be surprised if they had increased it again but maybe. However it was absolutely on the bone and I just filled it as high as it would go!

I quite like the wheel design to be honest, it is a work truck so I cant be too fussy! Its a million times better than the MY20 new wheel design though they are absolutely rank. I looked back through a few receipts for teh Euro 5 and 68/69l was quite common the most I ever got in was 71 but I don't run it _that_ low. Obviously chalkes hadn't put anything in it but it had done 20 miles which i feel is quite high for a delivery miles vehicle (last time I collected a brand new van it had done 5 miles!)

·
Super Moderator
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's been here nearly 10 days, I've used it for work once now I've transferred the top still on its original tank of fuel its now done 440 miles on the first tank, the reserve light has just come on so I will fill it on Monday and see what its actually done. I cant quite believe it but the "long term" (Consumption 1) has settled at 38.6mpg, exactly the same as the Nconnecta had over the last 100k miles. I notice a difference though when moving away, normally consumption 2 would report as about 18.7mpg when driving away on my usual route in a morning this one is nearer 13mpg. It is much worse round town as it holds onto gears when cold where as in the manual I would rumble along at 1100rpm this seems to want to do at least 1750rpm before changing up. However the longer gearing on a run does seem to help economy even if it is prone to changing down to 6th or even 5th on the motorway without much provocation.

Anyway, we fitted the top with a new seal, I still need to do the tailgate seal but its not a big job and I've reloaded all my stuff into the back of it and so far so good. Some initial observations after a day of using it. The reversing camera has bending lines when reversing, the Nconnecta did not. However the screen is shared with the top view so I find the picture quality of the reverse camera to be inferior to the Nconnecta. However it is quite useful to use as a gauge when reverse bay parking to make sure you are evenly positioned between the lines. Parking sensors are weird as well, of course non existent on the lower spec example. The seats are better, plus being electric on the drivers side the height adjustment leaver isn't sat on when exiting the vehicle. I always felt that was a vulnerable part of the Nconnecta. The aircon seems better as well and quicker to act - however this could be to do with the age of the other machine!

Another change is the engine start up, where as the Euro5 lump would burst into life and idle immediately at 1000rpm, this one seems to randomly rev to 1500/1600rpm on initial startup for a second before setting back to a proper idle.

The gearbox, well I knew what I was expecting. Its not terrible by any means, but its nowhere near as good as a ZF8hp or even a ZF6hp to be honest but it does the job.

And there we have a couple of pictures of a Tekna with a top - the roof rails are a bit of an eyesore I have to admit there may have to be some sort of wrapping takes place if it annoys me much more!

Attachments

·
Registered
369 Posts
Glad you seem to be liking it.

38.6! I bet when you do the calcs it won’t be but you have already beaten my best with your fiirst tank! I’ve passed 400 miles only once when driving long distance. I look forward to the figures. I’m sure you have a larger tank than mine!

The gearbox software is terrible. It will literally drop to 6th at 83 mph even when cruising with no extra throttle input. I pop it in manual when on the motorway and leave it in 7th...l which is great until you forget and have to frantically pull it back over to get it out of 1st once you’ve got going again! In general it refuses to use the engines torque and wants to be in the lowest gear possible at all times.....not good really.

The zf8 as you say is an amazing box, we have it on a BMW X5..... just wish they had used it in the Navara.

One thing definitely worth a look at is the I-drive throttle controller. I have had mine on for a month now and it’s a fantastic addition.
I have removed my TDI tuning box as it’s going for its first service this week and can honestly say it doesn’t need remapping or a tuning box when the I-drive is fitted. Totally transforms the throttle and in turn the gear changes. I won’t refit the tuning box and will sell it on. The economy setting may be useful for your motorway use, but the ultimate mode transforms the response times.

Happy driving.

·
Super Moderator
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers will have a look at the I-Drive throttle controller, not something I have come across before.

No chance it will be 38.6 but its what the manual used to display and returned normally around the 35 mark so will be interesting to see on Monday when I fill it up. As for the gearbox software there must be some room for improvement and what aftermarket solutions exist for that I'm not sure obviously ZF boxes are able to be remapped to improve their behavior and shift times etc. Mine is almost all motorway work I also tend to sit at 65-70 as there is little point rushing and it does help economy.

·
Administrator
11,515 Posts
The Jatco 7AT gearbox isn't the greatest, the same one as in the V6 D40 and various other Nissan/Infiniti vehicles. Obviously it it works, but it doesn't seem to be int he right gear, especially in the 20 to 40 mph range. Saying that it is pretty sophisticated in that it has various g-sensors, a 2 stage TC lock and the gearbox ecu also controls the turbo (to a degree).
There are remappers in the US, mostly aimed at the 370z users, so probably best to ignore the slightly odd behaviour and take advantage of the fact that this gearbox is almost as fuel efficient as a manual.

·
Super Moderator
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Interesting that the V6 displays the same traits! It is annoying in traffic with a lungy downshift at around 24mph and insistence of only changing into 4th at around 2k rpm. It also almost stalled today when pulling up to a junction on a cold engine so will have to monitor that characteristic!

So first fill up today, all told 455 miles to the tank, range showing 52 miles when filling for a total of 58l (I would have expected to get 64l or so in a Euro5) so that's largely inline with what I expected. Economy works out at 35.6mpg I will take that as a win for a first tank as its probably done more town work than normal with running to the bodyshop and back etc. (Phew!) Interestingly having covered 455, Plus 52 "left" that gives us a range of 507 - the truck recalculated at 505 on leaving the petrol station which is very interesting as the Euro5 would claim far more than was achievable I do wonder if they have re calibrated things a bit to make it closer to the actual number rather than pie in the sky (I've seen more than 700 miles on the Euro5 dash!)

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Quavey had an interesting chat this AM , the wait for the new face lift is non existent it officially launches on Wednesday and they have loads of stock in the uk for immediate delivery of manual or automatic in all colours was told I could pick one up Thursday if I wanted one LOL. Having been told it would be Aug/Sept. Not sure about the wheels though! I think they may be an acquired taste or somebody may get my euro 5 with the new pattern wheels on. :)

·
Super Moderator
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quavey had an interesting chat this AM , the wait for the new face lift is non existent it officially launches on Wednesday and they have loads of stock in the uk for immediate delivery of manual or automatic in all colours was told I could pick one up Thursday if I wanted one LOL. Having been told it would be Aug/Sept. Not sure about the wheels though! I think they may be an acquired taste or somebody may get my euro 5 with the new pattern wheels on. :)
To be honest I was quite annoyed at FJ chalkes, (turns out they have put the wrong number plate on as well - id handled it all via email and I hadn't noticed a letter was wrong until I came to full it up today. They sent me the correct reg in the email, so I forwarded that to our fleet insurance and also fuel card company but they ended up printing the wrong plate so as I've been using it for a few days I'm very glad I havn't been pulled!) But yes back to new trucks, annoyed as when I started this process a few months ago they told me the price would go up after the new tax year (it didn't), they also told me no new model was due for announcement until at the earliest August for delivery potentially late in the year. I find out 10 days before collecting mine that the new model is announced, I asked them when they would be in stock and they said not till August at the latest but I kid you not they posted on facebook that the new stock of 20 2020 models had been delivered the day after I collected mine in mid June.

Now its really only the satnav and brakes that I've missed out on, but given the choice of a manual with a better gearbox rather than the 6/10 automatic? It would have been a harder choice. Anyway, its done now but quite annoying as they must have known more information than they told me - I'd been very positive about them up until now despite this situation with the new model, I do feel a bit deceived, plus the dirty marks on the inside of the new truck, the declaration that the gusset plate was now part of the chassis (its not) and the interior covered in greasy marks from either poor cleaning or some lack of attention to detail but have to say this number plate **** up, which could have caused me delay and at worst points on my license is really pushed me to the end of my tether - I just couldn't recommend them to anyone anymore. Shame really.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Why not exercise your 30 day satisfaction guarantee??

List all of the above as reasoning and return it for the new 2020 model?

I certainly would as they took your money under false pretences when not divulging the newer model being available. I know you’ve had it on order a while, but who wouldn’t wait given the correct information??

Send it back while you have the cooling off period... oh and I don’t care how good the manual is... I’d still go with the dim witted auto and pop the idrive on it.

·
Administrator
11,515 Posts
On the number plate, my wife drove a car for 3 years with a different plate on the back than the front, so I would suspect that the fine or penalty risk was very low.

I wouldn't stress about the AT, let it do its own thing. On the earlier D40s the auto gave at least 6 mpg less than a manual, yours will hardly have an impact.
Loads of other benefits from an auto such as a cruise control that works, easier driving in heavy traffic and the ability to use the touchscreen without having to change gear every few seconds.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
To be honest I was quite annoyed at FJ chalkes, (turns out they have put the wrong number plate on as well - id handled it all via email and I hadn't noticed a letter was wrong until I came to full it up today. They sent me the correct reg in the email, so I forwarded that to our fleet insurance and also fuel card company but they ended up printing the wrong plate so as I've been using it for a few days I'm very glad I havn't been pulled!) But yes back to new trucks, annoyed as when I started this process a few months ago they told me the price would go up after the new tax year (it didn't), they also told me no new model was due for announcement until at the earliest August for delivery potentially late in the year. I find out 10 days before collecting mine that the new model is announced, I asked them when they would be in stock and they said not till August at the latest but I kid you not they posted on facebook that the new stock of 20 2020 models had been delivered the day after I collected mine in mid June.

Now its really only the satnav and brakes that I've missed out on, but given the choice of a manual with a better gearbox rather than the 6/10 automatic? It would have been a harder choice. Anyway, its done now but quite annoying as they must have known more information than they told me - I'd been very positive about them up until now despite this situation with the new model, I do feel a bit deceived, plus the dirty marks on the inside of the new truck, the declaration that the gusset plate was now part of the chassis (its not) and the interior covered in greasy marks from either poor cleaning or some lack of attention to detail but have to say this number plate **** up, which could have caused me delay and at worst points on my license is really pushed me to the end of my tether - I just couldn't recommend them to anyone anymore. Shame really.
Its not all Chalkes fault its competition for you. Both Ford and Nissan had expected Sept with 69 reg to be when they came on volume sale . However Nissan short circuited things but still kept their dealers somewhat in the dark . It was only when the pre ordered ones started turning up did they realise the timescales had changed. Funnily enough been looking at Ford as well and was told absolutely no way would I get one till Sept/Oct up to Wednesday last week . Got a call Friday morning saying that there was some available and I could pick what colour I wanted. My local Nissan dealer who will price match Chalkes this morning told me they would have one on the road on Wednesday but had a selection available at short notice.
Just finding it difficult to choose between the two so its down to either Tekna manual which to me is a step in the right direction with the new manual box, Improved rear suspension,Rear disk brakes. Android auto is a big plus as is the trailer sway control with the amount of towing I do with so many rutted roads nowadays. If I go ford it will be a LTD with twin turbo and ten speed auto ,I would never even consider the auto box in the Nav as had one in a D40 and it has always suffered the same issue. I guess at the end of the day what will sway it is the Nav will be at least 5k cheaper.

The word is if you want an extra special deal on old models of Either go to a certain heavily advertised leasing company as they have considerable stock of Ford and nissan and wont even quote on new models.

·
Super Moderator
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cheers guys, yeah its not bad I don't dislike the auto and I know its much better for me in the long run. So far fuel economy seems much the same if truth be told.

I'm only really annoyed because of the new model with better brakes, rear drums what were they thinking!

A slight word on brakes, I always felt the Nconnecta's were pretty poor, despite being very long lasting. Someone had mentioned somewhere that the pad material had changed which contributed to a shorter life and I would be inclined to agree, the Teknas brakes do feel much better despite being auto but the amount of brake dust after just 500 miles is quite amazing.

·
Super Moderator
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The Tekna passed through 1000 miles on Thursday, but some interesting numbers have emerged. I had a fairly good run over to Doncaster (en route to Scunthorpe and Grimsby) and upon arriving at Doncaster Services on the M18 the dash was showing a 510 mile range having covered 122 miles from home - 632 miles? That is big tank Euro5 territory! The economy for that run was also 43.5mpg quite surprising.

I covered a total of 330 miles on Thursday having filled it in the morning, arriving home with a range of 229 miles (note the total had slipped quite dramatically, 559 vs 632) and showing more than 1/3 of a tank left. I will fill it on Monday and do some calculations but I have to say with my driving style the Auto appears to be returning better economy than the manual did when it was new.

Rest of the fleet, well the 520d has had an annoying rattle when driving into wind for some time, not mechanically related I had suspected it was part of the undertray but I found a few minutes the other day to have a poke around and found a couple of plastic bits not properly clipped down but nothing too bad. I then noticed a bonnet adjusted was wound all the way in and realised that all this time it was the bonnet moving a couple of mm so having adjusted that it seems to have cured that minor irritation. It also needs a pair of rear tyres which are here, I just need to take it down to the tyre place and get them fitted.

X5 - Had a holiday at a friends for a couple of weeks whilst I had both trucks here, I do have 4 vehicles at the best of times and thought it best for one to be missing instead of having 5. Anyway, after a jump start last weekend I took it up to a friends farm to see just how laughable the "toy" 4x4 is compared to a proper machine. Actually we had planned to take a P38 and do some laneing but it came over all Land Rover the night before and decided it didn't want to go laneing so that was the end of that. Anyway, my friends farm has some steep grassy fields so I full anticipated the 19" wheel "SAV" (sports activity vehcile is the correct term for an X3/X5) with 285 wide rear tyres to be flummoxed by more than a few blades of grass but how wrong were we. The old girl romped up any slope we could find and even the hill descent control worked as well as any Range Rover we had tried on the same route in previous years. Quite impressed actually, all three of us were. The biggest downside was the lack of height adjustable suspension (mine only has rear air) and of course its stupid steps really limited ground clearance so we had to be careful not to let it drag its belly anywhere but yeah score one for the E53 against 3 doubters! It does help (I think) that its a facelift one with the newer Xdrive system rather than the early models biased rear drive system. I should really try the navara round the farm but with it not being mine I really wouldn't want to damage it!

M5 - Very little use of late it has to be said, it needs some work in the front end as it has a couple of worn bushes - not actually a big job but I can't decide wether to replace everything or just what I think is the problem. I will probably just buy a pile of new bits and tell the garage to fit them all. Often the problems in BMW's of this sort of era are not down to one bush that was worn out, its a combination of a bit of play in all of them so probably best to replace everything!

·
Registered
97 Posts
I wouldn't let the fact that the new Nav has rear discs bother you as the rear brakes only account to about 15% of total braking force and with rear drums you get a far superior hand brake than with a rear disc.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I wouldn't let the fact that the new Nav has rear discs bother you as the rear brakes only account to about 15% of total braking force and with rear drums you get a far superior hand brake than with a rear disc.
I wonder why everybody thinks rear disc are the way forward then. The figures you quote would make a very interesting drive. The momentum of braking increases the front axle loading and increases its need for braking. More efficient rear braking makes the vehicle safer and more likely to stop in a controlled manner . The new vehicle has its braking performance increased by 40% through a combination of rear disc and larger front disc. As for handbrake well a lot depends on the design of the system. However still has to come up to statutory standards so not something I would be concerned by. Who wouldnt want the latest upgrade they could. I have some sympathy with Quaveys position as I dont think he was made aware how imminent this upgrade was.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Rear braking... totally correct with the figures. 20% is an absolute max when considering the distribution in any standard vehicle. Any more than that and you would have lots of people spinning around in circles when cornering in the wet and adding in the brakes.

The 40% increase in the newer model is mostly down to the improvements up front. Having said that I would prefer the rear disk but just for an aesthetic reason. My rear drums are rusted to hell.

Also.... I had a service last Thursday... they sent me a video of my brake pads and a vernier calliper measurement of my disks. They were totally finished at 18800 miles. The brakes are pretty good for a truck but the life is terrible.
You will probably get 50k miles with yours Quavey due to your motorway miles but most rural or urban drivers are going to be less than half that. They wanted 400 to replace the disks and pads.
I laughed but then haggled down and got them for 320 as I just don’t have the time to do it myself at the moment. A real shame as there are genuine Nissan pads and disks on eBay for 169 delivered..... but hey ho... I wasted 150 quid but my time is more valuable at present so went with Nissan.

Re the fuel..... that’s quite interesting figures you are getting Quavey.... good to see you also can’t get more than 61 litres in. I thought it was just me..... having said that you did achieve over 70 with your first fill after the dealer supplied with zero fuel?
It would suggest to me that the fuel left reading is massively underestimating as you have proved 70 odd is able to be fitted in. I don’t want to run out and a modern diesel really doesn’t want to be allowed to run dry so I guess it’s done for that reason. Most times my display reads ”- -“ I would estimate I have at least 40 miles left in the tank as I cannot ever get more than 60 litres in before it spills on the forecourt.

The X5 is surprising! The Jeep Grand Cherokee I had found wet grass on the level a problem but the “SAV” F15 has no such problem. It’s quite a good system to be fair! The Jeep was hugely over powered and geared for tearing off the mark so I suppose it had a good excuse........the X5 is good.....but not as good as the Navara! Had to put it in 4wd the other day as I was on site and needed to get up a very difficult bank. Everyone laughed as my rears spun up and it went nowhere... they were surprised when I told them I’ll have to pop it in 4wd as they thought it was full time. Once selected nothing could stop it. It went everywhere! Very impressed although could I get it out of 4wd?? It just wouldn’t deselect until I did a few reverse/forward/reverse manoeuvres... it was annoying.
The 4wd system was hugely impressive though, I think it will go into some serious terrain... it also pulled a scissor lift out of mud without batting an eyelid.

I’ll test it out properly one day.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
s60r to what does your 20% refer as im confused , are you talking front to rear imbalance which would be acceptable or maximum 20% of total braking effort from the rear axle as this would never pass an MOT let alone be safe.
The legal requirement is 58% of axle loading for braking effort front and back so at times the rear axle when fully loaded has to have a higher braking force than the front. Which of course is where the LSV comes into play.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts