Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I hope you can give some advice I have a 2009 R51 that has developed a noise from the front right wheel which can best be described as a sounding similar to a helicopters at first I thought it was the inner wheel arch rubbing on the wheel, so I had a look but no marks but removed it any way, no deference so swapped the tyres front to rear still the same.

The noise is speed related loudest at 20 40 or 80 km/hr and is slightly better when the wheel is unloaded turning right it’s not affected by backing or if you are in 2WD, 4WD or rolling in neutral and there is only a very very slight vibration in the steering wheel.

I have taken it to my local work shop but they have not been able to find anything, fortunately they are not just replacing thing it the hope of getting it right in the end.

Has anyone come across this before or have any ideas what it might be and how to resolved it
Hope to hear some not to expensive fixes:smile2:

·
Administrator
12,985 Posts
Hi guys I hope you can give some advice I have a 2009 R51 that has developed a noise from the front right wheel which can best be described as a sounding similar to a helicopters at first I thought it was the inner wheel arch rubbing on the wheel, so I had a look but no marks but removed it any way, no deference so swapped the tyres front to rear still the same.

The noise is speed related loudest at 20 40 or 80 km/hr and is slightly better when the wheel is unloaded turning right it’s not affected by backing or if you are in 2WD, 4WD or rolling in neutral and there is only a very very slight vibration in the steering wheel.

I have taken it to my local work shop but they have not been able to find anything, fortunately they are not just replacing thing it the hope of getting it right in the end.

Has anyone come across this before or have any ideas what it might be and how to resolved it
Hope to hear some not to expensive fixes:smile2:
Very likely to be the wheel bearing, not adjustable , it is a sealed component, around £50 if you search ebay etc.. If you jack the truck up, the wheel will feel rough when turned

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply I did have a quick feel for any movement in the wheel or joints but all felt fine and sounded ok but the wheel bearing seem to be the most lightly. If the garage can’t pin it down I think I will start with the wheel bearings, thanks again

·
Administrator
12,985 Posts
Wheel bearings do not have any playing them when they are failing. They tend to last about 80000 Miles so if you are around that mileage then the wheel bearing is quite likely.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have a similar noise but I do have play in the bearing as it was mentioned on the last MOT. I will be replacing the unit in the next week. Looks to be a straight forward enough job.

·
Administrator
12,985 Posts
You will need a 32mm long reach socket for the drive shaft, and from memory a 19mm cranked ring spanner to get at the bolt heads holding the hub on.
It's not a long job, if you have a local cash in hand garage it will save you a skinned knuckle or two.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your replys the wheel bearing seem to be the most lightly. If the garage can’t pin it down I think I will start by changing the hub and bearings, thanks again for your help

·
Registered
158 Posts
You will need a 32mm long reach socket for the drive shaft, and from memory a 19mm cranked ring spanner to get at the bolt heads holding the hub on.
It's not a long job, if you have a local cash in hand garage it will save you a skinned knuckle or two.
I am doing it using the wobbly bar extensions method 17mm the bolts holding hub on.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Guys - It’s not the wheel bearing the work shop change them today and the noise is still there!

So back to square one anybody come across this before where should I look now? I have up till now ruled out a warped disc because the noise is not affected by backing and you feel no vibration on the pedal am I making to bigger assumption.

Any thoughts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Guys - It’s not the wheel bearing the work shop change them today and the noise is still there!

So back to square one anybody come across this before where should I look now? I have up till now ruled out a warped disc because the noise is not affected by backing and you feel no vibration on the pedal am I making to bigger assumption.

Any thoughts
Hey mate did you figure out what it was, as I got a similar sound coming on my car aswell, it started couple of days ago and my car is a pathy 2008 ST Spanish with 208000kms

·
Administrator
12,985 Posts
It is really comments n for the front wheel bearings to get rough. If you jack it up the wheel will feel slightly rough when spun by hand.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Good it's not the wheel bearing, while running the dog a few days ago found an older nissan that had ploughed a 20m furrow in the sand and the wheel less bearing laying beside it, no bodies so presume occupant/s were ok as no one around.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Good it's not the wheel bearing, while running the dog a few days ago found an older nissan that had ploughed a 20m furrow in the sand and the wheel less bearing laying beside it, no bodies so presume occupant/s were ok as no one around.
Hope the dugs are o.k.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yeah haven't been back out to see if still there and didn't hang around long then as dog had gone missing and needed to find him in a fairly large area of bush, no pigs there and he's not allowed to chase anything else but found him 3klm's away near gate out, now he will have tracker on all the time.
They would have had a walk of 4klm's across country to the nearest house and 8-10klm's to nearest town.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Yeah haven't been back out to see if still there and didn't hang around long then as dog had gone missing and needed to find him in a fairly large area of bush, no pigs there and he's not allowed to chase anything else but found him 3klm's away near gate out, now he will have tracker on all the time.
They would have had a walk of 4klm's across country to the nearest house and 8-10klm's to nearest town.
Is it wild pigs similar to wild boar, As you say safer keeping a tracker on them, The dogs in the UK are all micro chipped now the brother lost one of his collies a few weeks ago he got a phone call from the local vet about 4hrs later someone gave it in and they scanned it and got his details.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts