Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So basically i had all 4 tires replaced at the same time about 15k miles ago and im quite happy with how the rears are wareing that still have arount 5-6mm left
However the front are down the the ware markers and are worn even accross the tread
I noticed about a month ago that they were getting close and thought not much of it but in that month ive burnt off a good 1-2 mm surly thats too much for just normal driving?
I had the ball joints replaced about 3 month ago and since then the handling has been "sketchy" i took it back and found out he took the wishbones off to do the job, so told him to re-aline them as the jobs not finished! Which he did and the handling improved slightly (still not as it was before the ball joints were replaced)
So my question is, im assuming 1-2mm in about 1000 miles is to much? And if it is am i looking to get the alinement done again or is the problem likely to be something else

·
Super Moderator
4,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
As said the tires are worn even across the tread and i always thought wheel linement caused ware on just one area of the thread?

·
Administrator
11,565 Posts
Yep, it doesn't sound like there is an alignment issue. You might want to check the nut behind the steering wheel, they can often cause rapid tyre wear.

·
Super Moderator
4,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lol theres nothing wrong with the nut holding the steering wheel
most of my milage is 60-70mph on the motorway and off motorway my drivings not too erratic as im usualy in rush hour plus i would expect hard driving to do the rears in before the front?
Ah well ive got to get a new set of rubbers now anyway
So ill see how they get on

·
Registered
39 Posts
What are the tyres that are on it? And are all four that you had fitted from the same batch? Are they the same brand/type/size as what was on it before? When my NP300 arrived and went straight onto AT2's from it's stock tyres the alignment needed doing due to different tyre compounds, real world rolling circumference etc.

I'd get the tracking and alignment (all four wheels) done. There's about 4 different adjustments, castor, camber, toe, track etc to get the vehicle to respond properly. And they don't always show themselves as uneven tyre wear.

·
Super Moderator
4,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There 285 35 22 all fitted at the same time when i bought the wheels
Think there toyo or something similar
Ive had a phone around for 4 wheel alignment and been quoted £85 all in so just to put my mind to rest im gona get it gone

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Your problem may not be as simple as resetting the wheel alignment.
As you say your mechanic removed the wishbones to replace the joints (once again I do NOT own a D40 so can only comment on a D22 suspension but would have thought it would be very similar), the chassis centre pivot bolts are eccentric to allow the camber to be adjusted, unless he reset the camber using the correct gauges it would be really lucky if the pivot bolts were replaced in the correct position.
If the camber is out and the alignment is within specs, the tyres could be expected to wear evenly (NO feathering) but more on either the inside or outside.
So a simple re-alignment would have no effect on the camber angle.
Also if you are running them over-inflated the crown or centre portion will be more worn, if under-inflated then both shoulders will be worn, it is always a guessing game when non standard tyres are fitted, the best pressures are found after trial and error, this is relevant for standard fittings as well.
Having said all that, in my experience once tyres wear down to 2-3mm they seem to wear away overnight.
Toyo's are good quality performance tyres, but they may well be 'soft' regarding tread compound, have a good look on the sidewall for the tread compound number, this will be in a group of 2 or 3 other indicators (but, it may not be shown) a tyre with a figure of 400-420 will be a hard wearing all round tyre, one around 200 pretty soft short expected life but giving good grip performance.
As with most things performance and tyre life are a compromise.
None of the above has been written attempting to teach anyone to suck eggs or insult peoples intelligence.

·
Super Moderator
4,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Its the fact that the front and rear were fitted together and theres still loads of tread on the rears that makes me concerned so its booked in for a 4 wheel alignment on Saturday were he will check and if necessary adjust the toe, camber and castor
He seems to know what hes talking about and suspects the gargage that did the ball joints only did the tracking. because i mentioned the steering feels very sketchy ie. constantly and randomly wandering around the road
He also said if the alignment is found to be out he will write me a cover letter to take back to the garage that did the original job, stating that because they did not realign properly it has prematurely worn out the tires!
Dont know if it will help but its costing an extra £85 for the alinement and another £240 for the tires because it possibly wasn't re-aligned properly when i had the ball joints done
And yes the D40 is also on eccentric bolts
I found that 38psi works best as recommended by someone on here when i first fitted the wheels

·
Super Moderator
916 Posts
I would expect the fronts to wear quicker even on rwd, especially on a 2 tonne truck.
Think of the strain involved for them when cornering at 60/70 mph with that lump of an engine sat on top.
The fronts on my Pathy wear alot quicker(all tyres a cheapo's though)

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
I would expect the fronts to wear quicker even on rwd, especially on a 2 tonne truck.
Think of the strain involved for them when cornering at 60/70 mph with that lump of an engine sat on top.
The fronts on my Pathy wear alot quicker(all tyres a cheapo's though)
I also take into account the weight of the engine, I run on 42 front and 38 rear, over the last 10 years this evens out tyre wear perfectly across the treads, although the rears do wear quicker.

·
Super Moderator
4,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got the alignment done today and he said "it was all over the place" he set the camber and toe but the castor bolts have seized on the right wheel so it cant be adjusted without risking snaping the bolt in the subframe!
That said thought its only slightly out so he said it shouldn't be a problem
Also got the tires replaced while i was there for £200
So its been a expensive day but needed doing

·
Super Moderator
4,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not really had a drive yet but does seem better in the short drive home
But will see tomorrow what its like on the motorway

·
Super Moderator
4,292 Posts