Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title, 2008 D40 navara and there is a rattle, not sure if it’s injector or chain, it’s not present on tick over but is while driving although it disappears under load, any advice on how to pin point it without a tear down would be appreciated, thanks guys.

·
Administrator
12,091 Posts
Engine hot or cold or both?

If you disconnect a battery terminal and turn the key a couple of times it will reset the ecu and an injector rattle will disappear for a few hundred miles.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

If you disconnect a battery terminal and turn the key a couple of times it will reset the ecu and an injector rattle will disappear for a few hundred miles.

engine hot and cold, done a pedal reset and disconnected battery and hasn’t changed anything?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is from cold and doesn’t go away when hot, it only lessens under load at which point you can barely hear it, where should the needle sit when hot? Mine sits just under half way, is that normal?

·
Registered
14 Posts
This is from cold and doesn’t go away when hot, it only lessens under load at which point you can barely hear it, where should the needle sit when hot? Mine sits just under half way, is that normal?
I’ve had this issue on my 05 pathfinder for 3 years, it’s not been an issue but always in the back of my mind :unsure: sounds like a ticking under load but nothing on idle cold or hot. Almost disappearing around 40-50mph but mostly hear it on acceleration, my local garage said it sounds like noisy injectors but my gut tells me it’s a partial slipped chain tensioner.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thing is with mine is that there is no noise on start up or idle but when I pull away it’s there, if I put my foot down the rattle stops, if I’m only just on throttle it’s there and if I lift off completely, no noise? I did notice today that my steering pump was struggling at times, could the pump make that sound? Can’t help thinking the rattle is telling me money!

·
Super Moderator
4,381 Posts
D40s do have rattly injectors !
I find turning the radio up cures it 🤣

·
Administrator
12,091 Posts
Thing is with mine is that there is no noise on start up or idle but when I pull away it’s there, if I put my foot down the rattle stops, if I’m only just on throttle it’s there and if I lift off completely, no noise? I did notice today that my steering pump was struggling at times, could the pump make that sound? Can’t help thinking the rattle is telling me money!
Everything you have said points to injector rattle, a timing chain or even a loose pulley would rattle at idle.
Injector rattle is most noticeable on a very light or trailing throttle at about 2k rpm.
One other thing to check is the exhaust heat shield, they can come loose (underneath next to the engine)

It might be a single injector, worth unplugging them one at a time to see if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Light and trailing throttle is exactly when I hear it, even if in doing 60 and let off, there is no rattle, lightly put my foot down and it’s there! I’ll have a look at said heat shield and see if it’s loose also, do I leave the engine running whilst unplugging each injector?
Thanks for your help and advise by the way 👍

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When checking the injectors by unplugging them, do I keep the engine running or switch off in between?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yes mines the exact same on light throttle, sounds like we have exact same issue but this rain hasn’t stopped for weeks :rolleyes: not sure when I’ll get a chance to check injectors but please let me know what you find.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts