Nissan-Navara.net banner

421 - 438 of 438 Posts

·
Administrator
11,702 Posts
120 miles at 56 mph, how could you bear that?

Wait a minute, my hundred mile trip to London took me 3.5 hours this morning, so I take it back.

·
Registered
214 Posts
LOL

To be honest, I'm getting old and quite happy to sit with the HGV's on inside lane, relax, smoke fags and listen to music. I used to do 80 everywhere when I was younger until I realised it was costing me a fortune. I now have a wife and three daughter to bleed me dry instead ;-)

·
Registered
214 Posts
Can anybody confirm where the NP300 odometer gets it measurement from? is it the same place as the Speedo?

I have checked my speedo (at multiple speeds) against GPS and it is over reading by 7%. eg. it shows 60mph when GPS shows 56mph.

The problem is that if the speedo is out by 7% than the odometer may also be out by 7% which means mpg figures are way out and not easily worked out for real because I don't know the actual distance travelled to divide my litres figure off the fuel receipt.

My last trip showed 416 miles but for the moment I have taken that to be 387 actual miles. I used 49.18 litres which gives 35.77mpg for mixed driving, mostly with 4 people on board. If the odo is accurate then that mpg figure would be higher.

I have set the vehicle up on fuelly but it won't show on the search until I have 3 fuel ups on there, be another two weeks or so I guess.

·
Administrator
11,702 Posts
Cars virtually all over read by 5% to 10%, both the speedometer and odometer, normally the speed is taken from one of the wheels speed sensors. Some car makers calibrate the fuel consumption so it is right, but not Nissan.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Cars virtually all over read by 5% to 10%, both the speedometer and odometer, normally the speed is taken from one of the wheels speed sensors. Some car makers calibrate the fuel consumption so it is right, but not Nissan.
Yeah, it should be more accurate once I fit bigger tyres. I remember on my B2500 I went up by 1" in diameter and the speedo read bang on then.

Just got to save up some cash now to buy some bigger tyres. The damned 18" x 7" alloy wheels are a PITA as they limit tyre choice so I'm going to have to buy new wheels too, probably 17" as I can get a decent tall tyre without going too wide.

I'm doing a 200 mile trip next week so I can see how far out the odometer is compared with the GPS mileage.

To be fair, 36mpg is not bad at all for the sort of driving we did on last tank. However sadly it is no better than the B2500 was getting for similar journeys and that only had a 5 speed box and archaic 2.5 engine design with 280K miles on the clock. I was hoping NP300 would be getting at least 40mpg in like for like driving. Thankfully fuel economy is not really a big issue for me any more as I don't do the sort of annual mileage I was doing when I was younger. I just like monitoring it more for fun these days than for concern of how much the truck is costing me! ;-)

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Can anybody confirm where the NP300 odometer gets it measurement from? is it the same place as the Speedo?

I have checked my speedo (at multiple speeds) against GPS and it is over reading by 7%. eg. it shows 60mph when GPS shows 56mph.

The problem is that if the speedo is out by 7% than the odometer may also be out by 7% which means mpg figures are way out and not easily worked out for real because I don't know the actual distance travelled to divide my litres figure off the fuel receipt.

My last trip showed 416 miles but for the moment I have taken that to be 387 actual miles. I used 49.18 litres which gives 35.77mpg for mixed driving, mostly with 4 people on board. If the odo is accurate then that mpg figure would be higher.

I have set the vehicle up on fuelly but it won't show on the search until I have 3 fuel ups on there, be another two weeks or so I guess.
Many would be very happy to get anywhere near 35mpg mine using true figures is nearer 24 lol. Once you get on a serious motorway trip at near the legal limit that figure will plummet down it is one of the quirks of the NP300 having a very low geared 6th . the odometer picks up the same info as the speedo so the factor is the same! The computer for fuel economy can at best be described as wishful thinking it is just an algorithm set up withing the engine ECU that predicts fuel use there is no fuel metering going on . This example may illustrate what I mean . On sunday I travelled 60 miles from our base near Huntingdon up to some land we farm north of Boston at the end of the journey it was telling me the truck had 20 more miles to empty than when I started ,if only this was the case!! Just out of interest the VW V6 we have to evaluate is so far spot on for computer to actual fuel use and is better than the NP300

·
Registered
214 Posts
Yes, I have already noticed that 6th is not as high as expected, is actually lower than 5th gear in several of my previous trucks (although to be fair they all had 32-33" tyres which kept revs down at motorway speeds).

Our 109" Series Land Rover runs on 33" BFG KM2 mud tyres, has high ratio transfer box and overdrive meaning she sits at just 1800rpm at 56mph, giving 33mpg on long runs, not bad for an indirect injection normally aspirated engine designed in 1957 :)

I can't wait to get some taller tyres on the NP300 both for looks and for lowering rpm so I can cruise at higher speed. I'm going to sell the Nissan hard top off my truck which should fund a set of new tyres/wheels and a tonneau cover. Not sure what to ask for it though, it is only 1800 miles old and would have cost £4K new!! Crazy price.

·
Administrator
11,702 Posts
Our 109" Series Land Rover runs on 33" BFG KM2 mud tyres, has high ratio transfer box and overdrive meaning she sits at just 1800rpm at 56mph, giving 33mpg on long runs, not bad for an indirect injection normally aspirated engine designed in 1957
Guessing with a huge 56bhp that this cruising speed is the same as the maximum speed.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Guessing with a huge 56bhp that this cruising speed is the same as the maximum speed.
:grin2:

actually, it'll do 75mph on the flat with wind behind it however you would need ear defenders, much more comfortable to sit at 56mph where it is quieter (relatively speaking, still have to shout at passenger to be heard).

Also, it has been on a rolling road several times and the best we've had is just 36hp at the rear wheels and that is with a rebuilt engine in perfect condition. I kid you not. The transmission takes about 30% of power and the big tyres sap another 20%. Factory spec is 62hp at flywheel. You wouldn't know it was that little though because she fairly zips along the country lanes around us and as I say, more than capable of cruising on motorway. It is just hills that are painful and acceleration is pretty slow, approaching dangerous on motorway slip roads if road is busy.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Got an amazing mpg figure today, 47mpg!!! 608 miles using just 59 litres of fuel, giving a range of over 700 miles from a tank.

To be fair I do not think anybody could achieve this in normal day to day driving. It was damned painful! This was achieved mainly by doing two 250 mile round trips on motorway at 55-58mph on the GPS (60-64mph on the speedo which over reads), sticking mostly to the inside lane of the motorway with the HGV's. The truck was unladen other than the genuine Nissan canopy, not towing anything and just had two adults and two children on board. It would have been even higher but I had to do some trips into town to do Christmas shopping.

I have found that, like many modern cars, the eco mode is useless and actually encourages you to drive badly! I choose to ignore it and drive from experience instead. I got the 47mpg with an eco score of just 71 whereas last week I only got a 36mpg with an eco score of 81! The eco score marks you up for slow acceleration but in reality I've found that quickly accelerating up to speed, maybe slightly above the speed where I want to be and then backing off and cruising along gives far better mpg than building up speed gradually over a long distance. Also I always tend to avoid stopping at all costs so will slow down on the approach to traffic lights and roundabouts in the hope that they will have changed or be clear by the time I get to them to avoid a complete stop. This seems to get marked down on the Nissan eco scoring but in reality achieves significant fuel savings!

EDIT: On a side note, the NP300 is growing on me, 500 miles of motorway trip with the family on board and I can honestly say it was as comfortable, relaxing and quick as a family estate car :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Euro 3 [ ] Euro 4 [ ] Euro 5 [X ] Euro 6 [ ] Manual [ ] Auto [X ] Chipped/Mapped [ ] Average MPG [21 ]

Mostly short journeys, recent tank fill was 17 MPG which is a hard pill to swallow considering I thought these euro 5's were meant to be better than the euro 4 on fuel. Short journeys in my euro 4 would see me roughly 24 MPG. Pretty disappointed with the euro 5 I upgraded too

·
Registered
34 Posts
Improved MPG?

Took part in the survey earlier in the thread.

Reminder; have an old d22 2.5 that was returning a consistent 23mpg regardless of driving style etc. Tractor tyres & a very non-aerodynamic Ifor Williams top:grin2:

Have had to remove the centre on the old thermostat due to back pressure, suspecting cracked head following fitting new water pump, thermostat & flushing system to no avail. Was getting 270 miles to a full tank which has now jumped to 330 miles since modifying the old thermostat (checked twice on trip counter)?

Driving over to Billcar on the 8th Jan for a fully reconditioned engine & a few other bits.

Will be interesting to see what the MPG will be on the refurbished engine???

Darren

·
Registered
10 Posts
Im averaging about 13-14MPG or 17-18 liters pr 100km. Must say im driving 35" wheels, mostly short trips (5-10 minutes), in the city (max50kph) and now in the wintertime its usualy idling 5 minutes with the powerheater on before driving.
Summertime with 2WD i have been able to get it under 10liters pr 100km (23-24mpg) highway. It seems to rund cheaper in speeds of 90-100kph than 80kph, witch is the speedlimit on most of the roads here.
Just got it tuned by a tuningcompany claiming to increase it to 200-210bhp and they programmed the EGR off. Havent tried it on longer trips after that but is expecting improvement. If only the consumtipon would drop 5% i believe i can have saved the cost in under a year...

·
Registered
28 Posts
just completed a 2000 mile journey Margate to inverness then a week around Scotland and then back home , the truck performed faultlessly , all manor of driving lots of mountain passes and miles of motorway , loads of Navaras and Rangers up in the mountains , as for fuel when it needed some I filled the tank when it needed it tank range full showed 572, averages 35 -40 mpg and that was near enough safe warm and comfortable , now it needs a clean if your up that way check out the Drovers inn Loch Lommand steeped in history and serves a great Steak and Ale Pie Navara NP300 2017 now showing 25900 miles

·
Registered
53 Posts
Last Thursday I needed to go up from the West Country to Bedford and back the same day. We had rain here, rain most of the way, standing water on some sections, then bright at the other end. About 200 miles on each leg with mainly motorway driving. The 18" General Grabbers are at 35/40psi and coped without aquaplaning. I repeated the double trip on Sunday/Monday and returned 34mpg over the 800 miles.
I might put up the tyre pressures to see if the mpg improves, or the handling suffers in any way.

421 - 438 of 438 Posts