Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would anyone recommend getting the factory rear difflock fitted when buying new?

I drive on steep hills that are untreated daily when going to and from home, in the winter it gets very icy and slippy where I live, I won’t be going off road often, but more for the country roads in the bad weather.

Is it worth the £400 odd?

Thanks in advance.

·
Administrator
2,364 Posts
Would anyone recommend getting the factory rear difflock fitted when buying new?

I drive on steep hills that are untreated daily when going to and from home, in the winter it gets very icy and slippy where I live, I won’t be going off road often, but more for the country roads in the bad weather.

Is it worth the £400 odd?

Thanks in advance.

For your use it would not be useful, the (very well tuned) traction control system is more useful to you. Diff locks are primarily for scenarios where one or more wheels will leave the ground, such as Utah-style rock crawling or heavily rutted tracks.

However, that’s substantially cheaper than you could retrofit one for later, so if your use of the vehicle may change with time, it could be wise.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
We use our Nav (s) on a farm nearly every day in wet slippy conditions as we use irrigation has the diff lock EVER been useful NO!

Im afraid for the conditions you want to use it in it would be totally dangerous ,i dont think you understand the total loss of steering you could achieve on a road surface as I can tell you if you use it doesnt just drop out when you dont need it .
The TC on the Nav will give you all the help you need on slippery roads

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for that.

I didn’t know the traction control on the Navara was quite as good as it has been described on here.

Seems decent enough in standard set up.

Cheers again.

·
Administrator
2,364 Posts
Thanks for that.

I didn’t know the traction control on the Navara was quite as good as it has been described on here.

Seems decent enough in standard set up.

Cheers again.

It’s good in that its intervention is gentle and it allows a fair bit of wheel slip before it intervenes. This is better than some older systems that just shut down the power at the slightest hint of slip. This is not good in icy or muddy conditions where steady, smooth momentum is your friend.

·
Super Moderator
4,285 Posts
I forgot what its like to have tc
My d40s more of a "sit and spin" kind of girl

·
Registered
19 Posts
As a long term 4x4 driver, on and off road, I can tell you that there is very little that will help in the specific scenario you mention, and certainly not a diff locker. You'd be better off upgrading your tyres, possibly even using snow tyres which will make a big difference.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts