Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Don't know if it's been posted before, I couldn't find anything, anyway I am trying to replace the rear springs on the silver dream machine D22 and have managed to remove all the nuts and the bolts and hangers from the rear but how do you remove the bolt through the chassis at the front? I have removed the little 12mm bolt and managed to get a little movement on the bolt but how do you remove the pin style bolt? I have tried most things today even shouting at it but to no avail.

All help appreciated as normal.

Mark

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Tonight: Penetrating oil for the bolt, cider for you. Shout at pigeons. Tomorrow: a better day to work on it....
(and don't forget the bolt is, I expect, under tension)

·
Super Moderator
950 Posts
THIS might help

I know yours is a D22, but similar problems are faced.

EDIT: The stubborn fixing hierarchy, generally speaking, is funnily enough, in order with the posts on this thread; Lubrication/Shock > Heat/Shock > Cut/Burn.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, guys, the cider worked, the penetrating oil didn't and so I resorted to a multi-tool and bought new bolts from Nissan, I shouted at nearly everything today lol but to no avail again so yeah its now cut into pieces and off, well the near side is anyway, halfway through offside but all with luck and touching any wood I can find finished tomorrow :grin2:

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for all the advice and words of encouragement, today after 2 1/2 days of fighting, swearing, hitting things with a big hammer and still not getting anywhere my father and I decided enough was enough and we got on with the truck :grin2: no seriously it has taken 2 1/2 days of hard work and tears to get the old springs off and a brand new set of old man emu on, what a nightmare, the guy on Youtube lied about oh its so easy!!!
Now the silver dream machine goes round corners with all four wheels firmly on the tarmac and I am a very happy boy, now we can see how good the tyres really are

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It was those stupid ones that are attached with the cam style end on the chassis, as they were only £15 from Nissan I decided rather than fight anymore to just cut the things off and renew, this bit that got me was the new nuts they wanted £10.50 each so I managed to get a pair from a local store for £1.50 the pair :)

·
Administrator
2,382 Posts
This is the story of most of my mechanical projects:

1) Try the job and realise I don’t have the right tools and/or it’s not going how the instructions said it would (15 mins/$0)
2) Try to improvise with what I’ve got, injure myself and break something (1hr/$0)
3) Go and buy the tools I should have had to start with, and after this job will never use again (2hr/$200)
4) Do the job using proper tools and technique, realise earlier attempts damaged unrelated thing which now also needs replacing (2hr/$200)
5) Finish at sunset, $400 poorer.

And that’s just changing windscreen wiper blades.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would add a point 6) Realise that I already had tools to do the job, in a big box with all the other random tools that i will never use again.
I would also add point 7) Realise I now need a bigger box for all the tools I will never use again

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Life on the road in a caravan taught me one thing. Well, loads, but one thing that came from my wife was about minimalism....

"Do you need all that ****?"
"Yes, I do - as an engineer I want to be prepared for self-sufficiency in all possible situations..."
"So if you give most of it away/sell it/dump it, what is the minimum you still need?"
"Well, you never know..." [although a catch-can maybe should have been on the list, as I traverse the Spanish mountains]
"OK, so if, as CFO, I'm happy to sign off anything you need to buy while on our travels, does that change the amount of kit you want to bring?"
"Err, maybe, say £300?"
"Done. Now show me how little you will be bringing...."

I was wrong, she was right. All I've bought was a riv-nut popper and a proper torque wrench....

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Life on the road in a caravan taught me one thing. Well, loads, but one thing that came from my wife was about minimalism....

"Do you need all that ****?"
"Yes, I do - as an engineer I want to be prepared for self-sufficiency in all possible situations..."
"So if you give most of it away/sell it/dump it, what is the minimum you still need?"
"Well, you never know..." [although a catch-can maybe should have been on the list, as I traverse the Spanish mountains]
"OK, so if, as CFO, I'm happy to sign off anything you need to buy while on our travels, does that change the amount of kit you want to bring?"
"Err, maybe, say £300?"
"Done. Now show me how little you will be bringing...."

I was wrong, she was right. All I've bought was a riv-nut popper and a proper torque wrench....
Tell me you haven't let the side down and told her she was right? I get do you need it? If I say yes then I get to pay for it, I don't get pocket money so I have to buy it myself :crying:

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Always tell your wife she was right.
Then something needs attention, and you buy what you need - and just smile.... It's only beer tokens in the end, and a happy wife is worth more :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have something similar coming up. I already renewed the rear leaf parts (replaced rubber bushings with pvc, and made new greaseable shackles). I wonder how to get the front pin out, expecially the rubber bushing. I expect that they are horribly stuck. How did it go with yours if I may ask?

Cheers,
Mark

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have something similar coming up. I already renewed the rear leaf parts (replaced rubber bushings with pvc, and made new greaseable shackles). I wonder how to get the front pin out, expecially the rubber bushing. I expect that they are horribly stuck. How did it go with yours if I may ask?

Cheers,
Mark
I can honestly say get a good angle grinder and buy new ones, they don't come out at all, the guy on YouTube lies!! I tried for 2 1/2 days and in the end, had to cut them off and replace, they were £16 each or so from Nissan and the nuts were £11 each so I went to a fixings place down here and bought two nylocks for £1.50 :laugh2:

Hope that helps

Mark

·
Registered
62 Posts
Cheers, Mark!

I already have a set of new greasable pins with PU bushings from Milner Off Road. No way the old stuff goes back in there, no matter how it comes out.

Was the fuel tank in the way? I have read something that you have to unscrew the tank and lift it a bit to get access to the rh pin. I looked at it and it seems to be a close fit, not sure if this is necessary.

Best,
Mark

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Cheers, Mark!

I already have a set of new greasable pins with PU bushings from Milner Off Road. No way the old stuff goes back in there, no matter how it comes out.

Was the fuel tank in the way? I have read something that you have to unscrew the tank and lift it a bit to get access to the rh pin. I looked at it and it seems to be a close fit, not sure if this is necessary.

Best,
Mark
I found that you can get a spanner on the nut and then use a dead blow hammer to get it to move, if not then I used a multi-tool with a hard metal cutting bit to remove the nut once it's off you get a little play so you can move the outside away from the chassis and use a grinder on the actual elipse bit, I did it very slowly and with a big chisel behind it so I only cut that and not the chassis, then you should be able to work enough away to be able to actually cut the bolt.

Good luck mate, its a very nervy thing taking an angle grinder near your chassis trust me

I have just found the pins on Milner, I never even looked on there to be honest, I went straight to Nissan and they aren't greaseable, well too late now but I might end up changing them again soon...... Buggar

Cheers

Mark

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Cheers, Mark!

Best,
Mark
Greasable pins with PU bushings ? You will spend the rest of your life renewing the bushes. Dust and grease make a wonderful grinding paste they dont last five minutes . Some of your suspension reaction control comes from the tight fit of the bolt within the bush.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts