Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning all,
I agree with most that the service interval seems a bit long so I'm doing filters and oil at the half way point myself.

According to the manual, you can loosen the oil filter from above with a cap type tool? - I've only ever seen strap types, (chain or fabric) so is this a Nissan special ? I did have a crawl underneath and tried to get the filter off by hand but it did not want to play ball :roll:

My other query was - Does the upside down filter drain when the engine is off or should I get ready to be covered in oil when I break the seal and start to remove it? :shock:

While I was messing around, I checked the air filter and it was fairly black with tyre dust so changed that for new. (On my Disco, you could tell when the air filter needed changed because the turbo used to get quiet, it also tended to clog up with tyre dust :( )

G

·
Re: Removing the oil filter - who sells the tool for the job

Dunc said:
While I was messing around, I checked the air filter and it was fairly black with tyre dust so changed that for new. (On my Disco, you could tell when the air filter needed changed because the turbo used to get quiet, it also tended to clog up with tyre dust :( )
dont know about the oil filter tool dunc, but when you replaced the air filter did the truck run better..

·
Registered
47 Posts
Easiest Oli Filter removal tool is a screwdriver, they're easy to pearce and a quick spin and it's off...

Best off all 99% already have one to hand :D

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Scarey,
I am fairly sure it is running a bit smoother with a new air filter.

With regards to the oil filter - If you have not seen it, its a short runt of a thing, upside down on the back of the engine under the diesel filter (RHS). You can't easily get to it from the top with a hand (but a big socket thing might wiggle in) and I think it would be difficult to get to it with a screw driver from the bottom. I'm cautious about piercing the short filter incase I hit the threads in the middle :shock:

·
Registered
113 Posts
rhaines said:
Easiest Oli Filter removal tool is a screwdriver, they're easy to pearce and a quick spin and it's off...

Best off all 99% already have one to hand :D
My m8 did that and the oil filter he bought was the wrong one so he had to wait till someone could give him a lift to get the right one. :D

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm a bit cautious of piercing the filter because it can't have get messy and chewed up if it is tight. The filter maintains more strength if it is gripped as a whole unit :eek:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Is the D40 filter the same as the D22?
If so it's a plastic housing with a filter element inside.
The D22 has a small housing around the filter that catches the spilled oil and drains it to the bottom of the vehicle,basically, if you have the drain pan/bucket under the sump plug, this will be in the correct place to catch the oil from this drain point too.
The filter housing has a nut moulded onto it, so a large socket will fit, it's 24mm or there abouts from memory.However, the plastic is soft, so make sure you have the correct fitting socket, and make sure it doesn't slip.
I no longer use this method, but prefer a strap type wrench, that takes a long extension bar into it from the top, and removes the poo design from the equation!

Hope that helps, clear as mud!

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In which case a strap filter wrench will work perfectly.
You must be double jointed then with slim hands ... :wink:

·
Registered
11 Posts
re oil filter tool

Dunc,

I know exactly what you mean, you must have the diesel motor, I tried to buy the special tool off Nissan Dealer but he looked blank and said it would be to hard to do and also expensive. ie he was lazy.

I tried my mechanic mate and he lent me a tool that is spring loaded and clamps onto the end of the filter and then with a half in driver with ext bars you can get at it. Its a pig of a job but without the tool its near on impossible, I like you tried from underneath and had no luck.

CNAV

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cnav,
Cheers for the note. I've just accosted our local Snap-On man and he had the piece of kit. Fortunately I had a new filter with me because there are three variants. The one which fits is Part Number FW9315 and cost £9.99.

Its basically a tin socket with 3/8" drive that goes over the serated end of the filter. :D

·
Registered
132 Posts
Although this is an old thread I thought I would add a bit of detail with regards to removing the oil filer on the D40 as I have just done this today.

I removed the top engine cover, the plastic one with DCI on it.

I then removed the 2 12mm nuts that hold the fuel filter onto its bracket. This was then tie-wrapped to the bracket that sits on top of the engine. No pipes were disconnected.

Apart from a couple of water pipes I was able to get a hand through to the filter which was too tight to remove by hand.

I managed to get it loose quite easliy with a chain wrench and 2 long 1/2 extensions.

The rest is childs play although the filter does loose oil down the back of the engine.

Hope this helps.

Wayne.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts