Nissan-Navara.net banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all does anyone know if the timing chain kit from FAI is any good or should i stick to nissan parts ? And has anyone posted DIY guide to do the job i find much on here on the chains. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers Mark.

·
Registered
5 Posts
hi not trying to be a smart **** but why do you want to change the timing chain on your d22.but the job is fairly simple, the hard bit is timing the balance shafts back correctly under the crank sproket as it locates on a cut gear and its so easy to get it wrong, secondly there is a spring loaded part to the helical balance gear that must be kept in tension to eliminate backlash.If you do replace the chains you must tighten the crank pulley up to the correct torque setting as this is critical,the gear for the timing chain only just locates on the woodruff key and is really a compression fit hope this helps. ive done many d40,s.regards

·
Registered
58 Posts
hoopy29 said:
hi not trying to be a smart **** but why do you want to change the timing chain on your d22.but the job is fairly simple, the hard bit is timing the balance shafts back correctly under the crank sproket as it locates on a cut gear and its so easy to get it wrong, secondly there is a spring loaded part to the helical balance gear that must be kept in tension to eliminate backlash.If you do replace the chains you must tighten the crank pulley up to the correct torque setting as this is critical,the gear for the timing chain only just locates on the woodruff key and is really a compression fit hope this helps. ive done many d40,s.regards
The D22 timing chains are ara big job if you want to replace both che chains as to remove the bottom chain you have to drop the sump pan to remove the oil pump. This is unlike the D40's set up where the oil pimp can be removed without the need to remove the sump. Alos the D22 does not have any counter balance shafts to worry about.
The d22's are not known for chain problems. In fact people are retro fitting the D22 chains to the D40 engine. So why do you want to replace your timing chain?

·
Registered
5,987 Posts
brianooo said:
hoopy29 said:
The D22 timing chains are ara big job if you want to replace both che chains as to remove the bottom chain you have to drop the sump pan to remove the oil pump. This is unlike the D40's set up where the oil pimp can be removed without the need to remove the sump. Alos the D22 does not have any counter balance shafts to worry about.
The d22's are not known for chain problems. In fact people are retro fitting the D22 chains to the D40 engine. So why do you want to replace your timing chain?
Not entirely true, there were a batch of d22's that suffered catastrophic engine failure due to faulty timing chain tensioners, Nissan actually ran a 'campaign' to replace these FOC, all you had to do was give them your chassis number to see if yours needed it.
Timing chains are meant to be for life though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help but i think i need more info !
Ive done the big end mods on my d22 but was told that i should have done the timing chain as well. I spoke to Billcar and they said with over 120k on it it is due for a change + some times on morning start it does sound like there is some chain rattle. i am happy to do the job to put my mind at rest, unless you guys all think i should leave it be. Cheers

·
Registered
5,987 Posts
the dude said:
Ive done the big end mods on my d22 but was told that i should have done the timing chain as well. I spoke to Billcar and they said with over 120k on it it is due for a change + some times on morning start it does sound like there is some chain rattle. i am happy to do the job to put my mind at rest, unless you guys all think i should leave it be. Cheers
The tensioner is tightened by oil pressure so it may take a few seconds to take up the slack.
What age is your nav? Mine was an 03 and it got the tensioner changed by Nissan FOC.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
diggerman said:
the dude said:
The tensioner is tightened by oil pressure so it may take a few seconds to take up the slack.
What age is your nav? Mine was an 03 and it got the tensioner changed by Nissan FOC.
Shes on a 02 plate

1 - 16 of 16 Posts