Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - I'm looking for some advise please. I primarily use my Navara for when we go away camping or short trips away. But as time has gone on and the children getting older we seem to take more and more stuff with us. To the point I've run out of room! I do have a Pegasus4x4 canopy fitted which probably actually limits space if I'm being honest. So I'm looking at my options as per title ... do I get a roofbox, small trailer or towbar mounted bike rack?

In the past I've managed to get 2 x MTB's as well as enough food / clothes / tent stuff / etc in the back just about. But now with the prospect of 3 or 4 x MTB's that's never going to happen. I could probably get 4 x MTB's in the back but then I would need a roofbox or trailer for everything else. Or do I get a towbar mounted bike rack and have the canopy for everything else?

Has anyone else had this predicament or already do this? I'm really just after knowing what the best option might be or are there any pitfalls I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance.

·
Administrator
12,991 Posts
A regular challenge for me.

Trailer,
If I had space for a trailer I think I would have gone down that route, especially one big enough to put bike racks on top. It could be packed before the trip saving that last minute hassle.

Roof mounted.
I've mounted bikes on the roof and a roofbox too. It's a potential solution, but awkward to get stuff up there, and chances are you will have to put it all up there when you finish work on a Friday.
Not a lot of fun when it is raining.

Towball mounted bike racks.
I bought a towball mounted track to replace the roof bike racks. Actually works well and easy to store the rack when not in use. Had the added advantage that you can easily drop the bikes on while you are away if you are starting the ride away from the campsite.

Nowadays I have a flat mountain top on the pickup bed. I then fix the bikes on the mountain top and strap on some boxes.

·
Super Moderator
4,529 Posts
When we were into camping I built myself a 4' x 5' trailer with a 5mm aluminium checkerplate lid on gas struts. Onto which i mounted a 3 bike rack (which i could still lift with the bikes on) and it was the best thing I ever did!
Pack the trailer up in the back garden, then when ready just wheel it round clip it onto the nav, throw the dogs in the back and we were away!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got a Thule RideOn 3 - cheap(ish) and cheerful. Would a trailer have been better? Almost certainly but I didn't have small trailer money - and some of the really cheap ones looked like they would fall apart or not last long.

·
Administrator
12,991 Posts
That should work. I think you can hire a camping trailer for about £200 per week if you get to the point of needing even more space.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts