Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had this before on my 12 plate v6 and it corrected itself after a few days. Basically the sat nav and screen work fine but there is no audio working. I can't select the radio or cd player and all audio settings are greyed out on the screen. No bluetooth connection either.

The radio fuse under the bonnet is fine too.

I'm thinking an earthing issue or a loose connection. Is everything behind the dash for the audio?

·
Administrator
11,692 Posts
I wonder if the amplifier has failed? I think it is around the gear lever area.

Have you tried the inbuilt diagnostics?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, found the diagnostic menu and I can't see anything reporting a fault.

Is the unit under the passenger seat for the.audio functions like radio, cd and Bluetooth etc?

·
Administrator
11,692 Posts
I don't know, but good news the diagnostics saying it isn't the head unit as they are seriously expensive to fix.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
The fact all audio is dulled out on screen sounds like the head has locked.
Have a search through the menu and go for a system reset.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The menu has an initialise setting that seems to wipe the HDD. Is that the one as I cant find another.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tried a reset, tried all the connections behind the dash after figuring out how to get to them and still nothing.

Left the battery disconnected all day today and everything now works again. Something was obviously upset.

Anyway, it works again.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Tried a reset, tried all the connections behind the dash after figuring out how to get to them and still nothing.

Left the battery disconnected all day today and everything now works again. Something was obviously upset.

Anyway, it works again.
I had the same issue last year (you will find the posts if you do a search). I did the same routine left the battery disconnected overnight, got a lead, put it between the disconnected terminals and switched the ignition on and off a few times, I had to repeat this on a number of occasions, but it has had no problems for over 9 months.
What did you have to do to get the dash removed? Are there screws on either side of the central panel that have to be removed?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Once the gear surround is out of the way, the dash just pulls out after lifting the corners with a plastic pry.

Anyhow, it stopped working the day I posted my "it's working" post. Left the battery off for 24hrs, touched the terminals and it's back working without a glitch all week. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Back to not working again. Taking the battery leads off overnight doesn't help anymore.

With it being as intermittent as it is, I'm thinking dry solder joint or a faulty cap. Nothing to lose by taking it apart and testing a few things. I'll post back in a few weeks as I'm busy with an engine build for another vehicle that went bang. No rest for the wicked.

·
Administrator
11,692 Posts
I saw somebody with exactly the same problem on a Nissan 370 Z forum.
It might be worth crawling around various Nissan and Infiniti forums to see if you can find somebody with the same head unit who has resolved the problem

·
Registered
451 Posts
Back to not working again. Taking the battery leads off overnight doesn't help anymore.

With it being as intermittent as it is, I'm thinking dry solder joint or a faulty cap. Nothing to lose by taking it apart and testing a few things. I'll post back in a few weeks as I'm busy with an engine build for another vehicle that went bang. No rest for the wicked.
Based on my experience I think it was more likely to be a software code lock issue than dry joints etc. It has been ok for nearly a year (persevered with battery disconnect) after experiencing the same issues you and others experienced. Mine is on a 2012 V6.
Nissan in the early days of the facelift seems to have had problems in the Uk and US and addressed it by replacing the head unit and carrying out the factory reset? Some people out of warrantee paid megabucks to replace the head unit. I suspect this was a costly mistake, as I said IMO it is more likely to be a software / code link issue. I think you can get a replacement head from clarion but it is very expensive.
I have tried to remove the consul but it seems to will not fully come out, so thinking there may be additional bolts requiring both sides of dash to come out.. Is your Nav a facelift V6?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Jeff,

Mine is a 2012 too. So do you think I should keep trying the battery disconnect? I also have aftermarket towbar wiring too, which I believe may have caused you an issue.

Thanks,

Wayne.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Jeff,

Mine is a 2012 too. So do you think I should keep trying the battery disconnect? I also have aftermarket towbar wiring too, which I believe may have caused you an issue.

Thanks,

Wayne.
I thought it was the towbar wiring at one point when I had the problem and disconnected the axillary and sound did come back after I did the battery disconnect, but it went off again the following week. I also have an led bar on the front of the car which has a delay before switching off when the ignition is switched off - I thought at one point it may have been that. It doesnt appear to be either as the sound has been back on for nearly a year. When I had the issue it would initally be off for weeks then when driving would suddenly come on again, as soon as I switched the engine off and started it up again the sound was off again. I was thinking lose connections or earths but did not find any. I finally concluded it is a sortware issue, where it is intermitantely dropping the pairing of the head unit to the car. Nissan are pretty useless in understanding the issue and causes of it. They will be less interested now the D40 is confined to the past. I would continue to try the battery disconnect overnight and put a shorting wire between the lugs (withbattery disconnected), switch the ignition on and off a couple of times and then reconnect the battery and try it.If you ever need to take it in to Nissan for any other work then maybe ask them to do the factory reset.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have the same problem, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. you can be listening to the radio and start the car and the radio stops working. The last time it went off, I was driving along and it came back on. it is off again and has been for about 3 weeks now

1 - 19 of 19 Posts