Nissan-Navara.net banner

Satnav reversing camera without navtv?

26K views 80 replies 24 participants last post by  cosmin01 
#1 ·
#2 ·
#3 ·
It can be done as pathfinders allready have reversing cameras (spec dependant) on the same sat nav unit, so it is just a case of finding out where the wires need to be soldiered onto the board. On the pathfinder there will be a extra plug that will be soldiered onto the board over the navara.

#4 ·
Many thanks - embarrassed I couldn't find it with a simple search!

Anyway - I think I will have a go at this, as I was going to take the dash out to fit my parrot handsfree kit, mearly for the ipod streaming.

It appears to be relatively simple (I hope). This is my understanding of it - Behind the sat nav unit taking soldering onto pins 11 & 12 for AV source for camera. Nav control under seat - shorting 67 & 1 together (so the computer knows there is a camera). As an option 65 & 5 can be shorted to enable the aux input to be activated when not in reverse, perhaps needs some diodes or swicthes somewhere. But if the latter is done, a front camera can be fitted plus DVD player input if needed.

I do have some questions I haven't yet worked out;

1. 11 & 12 - unclear about polarity
2. Do I need to do anything to the "hidden advanced control" settings
3. Whilst doing this, is there an easy way of putting an input for sound in (for if using DVD player), perhaps which could also be used for aux ipod input, other than fitting the parrot hands free

4. Are these pins marked with the numbers?

I think the navara owners who successfully did this, apart form the spanish group, are SJS & stumpy69, but if anyone does have any information I would be very grateful and promise to take photos for a how to (if it works!)

Thanks for the replies

#6 ·
There is no sound option just the extra video input for the reverse camera. The Pathy has an additional interface in the middle that gives you nice lines on the screen.

You will love the camera! It makes parking a piece of ****!! I want to add forward one and ones in the wing mirrors one day!

#7 ·
Thanks for replies, I think I might try adding this ipod connector at the same time, instead of the parrot kit, just to keep things a bit simpler. Anyone tried it - I will have to check what aerial type the nav has,

iConnect FM iPod and iPhone 3 Channel FM Modulator Integration Adaptor Kit
Ebay number 160723342259

#10 ·
TSEJ said:
This guy on youtube claims to have soldered a few wires without any extra interface to get reversing camera on sat nav screen.
That was me :D
A rather poor video that shows it working but doesn't show you how to do it :roll:

Sadly, I don't have the Nav anymore :(

I do have some questions I haven't yet worked out;
1. 11 & 12 - unclear about polarity
So was I and I can't remember which way I went but I got it right 1st time, not that that helps you much

2. Do I need to do anything to the "hidden advanced control" settings
No, it'll just work as soon as you connect it all.
The hidden menu will just show the diag system has detected the camera.

3. Whilst doing this, is there an easy way of putting an input for sound in (for if using DVD player), perhaps which could also be used for aux ipod input, other than fitting the parrot hands free
Dunno, I never went down that route

4. Are these pins marked with the numbers?
Err... I don't remember TBH but it should be relatively easy to ID the correct pins.

Sorry mate, I'm not a lot of help, like I said I don't have the Nav anymore and as it's been a while since I did mine I don't remember the details.
But, it is fairly simple to do, it works as soon as you solder the connections and connect the camera. The Navs systems even adds the guidance marks for you.
I found it really useful :thumbleft:

Good luck if you go for it :D

#11 ·
Still awaiting delivery of my reversing camera (10 days now!)
I have done the soldering mods - I wont comment or post pics before I get it working! It would be alot easier if I had matching pins to insert into the plugs themselves, to avoid haveing to solder very small pieces. Maybe these could be taken off a scrap loom if I had to do it again.

However, I have fitted the Harman Kardon kit. Bought cheaply on ebay, with aerial adapter transmitter. Works great! Have the screen on right of dash, and twist controller just under the gearstick, with ipod connector coming out of cubby box phone section. Took 1 hr to fit (but longer to do the wiring on the screen). I took a permanent live from a blank connector left hand of glove box (I had a pin that fitted into a spare hole in the connector plug), ignition from cig lighter and earth onto the dash frame.
Music quality great. The only problem is although it charges the ipod, my iphone 4 doesnt. This might be something to do with changes for newer iphones changing from 12v to 5v,so I have bought an adapter from ebay and hope this will solve this.

Pic - wire installation rods very handy bit of kit!

#13 ·
Where's the camera coming from?? - Don't ask - an ebay "special". Learning point - UK sellers only from now on!

What's the on your steering wheel? RM Williams steering wheel cover. Been on all my cars since I lived in Australia. RM Williams was a renound bushman, now has a durable, but expensive clothing range. In Northern territory all the good aussie boys had RM Williams stuff on their utes!

#14 ·
There are some more inputs hidden on the nav system somwere as when you plug the consult II in it shows i think digital TV interface and DVD player maby sompthing els but i cant remember however there grayed out as not connected
Now i no the pathfinder mamoth editions did have a DVD player in the centre console and i have seen someone sucsesfully install it in a navara just using the factory looms
Not sure about the digital TV that might have never actally been used on a Nissan although some renault espaces use the same NAV box

#19 ·
Finally got the camera....
Fitted no problem, however, functionally not too good.

The satnav screen "knows" the camera is there - when reverse selected the screen goes blank and a message of something like "look behind when reversing".
Sadly, thats as far as it goes! The screen has horizontal lines flashing across (like when a TV was badly tuned), whatever the polarity from the camera.

So where from here? I suspect the problem is either my soldering at the satnav screen or the camera. I think the underseat control box is OK as that part seems functioning.
So, I'm going to buy another reversing camera (from this country this time!). I also think that if I had the female pin sockets to fit in the wiring sat nav plug, it would avoid the need for soldering completely and be a far tidier job. So, I will ask a breaker if they can cut the plug off a loom for me.

Then hopefully it will work!

#21 ·
TSEJ said:
Sadly, thats as far as it goes! The screen has horizontal lines flashing across (like when a TV was badly tuned), whatever the polarity from the camera.
do you have any other type of monitor you could connect to the camera?
or any other video source you could connect to the screen?

And you're definitely getting power to the camera?

Also, I don't means to cast aspersions on your soldering skills but make sure there are no stray wires or solder shorting pins in the monitor.

#22 ·
any other video source you could connect to the screen?
Just bought another camera to test it with

And you're definitely getting power to the camera?
Yes

Also, I don't means to cast aspersions on your soldering skills but make sure there are no stray wires or solder shorting pins in the monitor.

Quite alright - I'm perhaps better with the 3/4" socket set! I'm "hoping" its the camera, but 2nd guess is my soldering.

Will update when the new camera arrives (2 days)

[/quote][/quote]

#24 ·
Thanks - extremely helpfull. I am on the case of the female pins to simply fit
Inside the excisting plastic moulded socket for the sat screen. I think I had some on an old loom in the shed. With these it would avoid soldering and really be an easy job.
Will update (will be next week probably)

#25 ·
TSEJ said:
Thanks - extremely helpfull. I am on the case of the female pins to simply fit
Inside the excisting plastic moulded socket for the sat screen. I think I had some on an old loom in the shed. With these it would avoid soldering and really be an easy job.
Will update (will be next week probably)
Good idea if you have the gear, I think that's how stumpy69 ended up getting his working

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.