Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been unloading my windsurfing stuff today and accidentaly scratched rear door with a mast. I mean, i barely touched it... deeep scratch from 1mm to 2mm wide and i can see a bit of its original factory metal.

This paintjob is rediculus. I had my board accidentaly blown off on the hood of my Landrover a year ago where it hit it with a fin, slided all the way and fell on the sand. No scratched... both cars are black. My D40 has a metallic paint option? what difference does it make? it looks like this paint is made out of **** exuse me me french.

any agents i can use to polish it off? its really thin.... i guess something can be done?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Paint

Hey, (Ray is it?) i've been waiting for someone to comment on the black paint. Mine must be the same black, slightly metallic and as soft as s**t. Everywhere I look there are scratches and they show through because the base is white. I've even had it machine polished and coated with a hardglaze type coating, made no difference. Every time I look after having been to the supermarket or in a tight carpark and it's scartched again. Anyone else having this problem? I know black is notorious but ......... Sorry about the ranting............... it's still a great vehicle.

David
DCWILK2

·
Registered
515 Posts
try turtle wax color magic plus.it comes with a colour stick you rub into scratch then apply color magic takes a couple of applications.my D22 is aruba blue very soft for first 12 months. took it thro car wash 3 weeks old scratched to buggery.color magic sorted them ok.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I hate to say it but I think Black is the problem. I've got a Silver one and its paint is much better than the dark metallic I had on my Discovery.

(Land Rover paints are notorious because they are going onto alloy panels, Nissan don't have that problem).

There is not a lot you can do to hide it effectively but if you have someone like Dent Master / Car Doctor / Car Medic in Cyprus, they can repair it properly. Basically, they mix a pot of paint and fill the scratch then lightly rub it back down to blend it in. Then polish it. Its worth doing quickly before rust sets in but I suspect that isn't too much of a Cyprus problem!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I don't think it is just black. When i looked at the showroom model (storm grey) someone had obviusly rubbed against it and made a big scratch on the wheel arch with the white base showing, and that was just in the showroom

G

·
scratched my silver navara 2 days after i got it taking stuff down the tip....dread to think what this truck would be in a '' proper '' work environment...

·
Registered
79 Posts
There have been very similar comments about the quality of paintwork on every new vehicle I've had, since I started buying new ones in 2002 anyway.

It has been said that it has something to do with the latest paints having to be water based rather than 'oil', and this makes them less hard... although it is probably more accurate to say less soft, because again there is an argument to say that the problem is due to the paint being too brittle rather than if it was softer and had more give in it.

I'm not a paint expert, and am just passing on what has been written in other Nissan and BMW forums I've read. But I would say that I haven't noticed that the paintwork on any of my recent vehicles has been massively better or worse than any other. IMO the bulk manufacturers are probably all using similar processes with similar results.

·
Registered
78 Posts
It must be the paint they use on the Nissans. I also have a BMW in the same metallic black - after a year I have not noticed a single scratch. My Nav is 6 weeks old and already loads of scratches (fine with white base/primer showing). And I haven't even done anything exciting with it yet... :roll:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Im use mine for my small building business, I do refurbs and general repairs.

The pickup body has had a liner since new but the tops and sides are scratched to buggery, there are scratches on the door panels too. Its seems somedays I just have to look at it to scratch it. Its storm grey.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
last night i went and had a look round westway nissan in stourbridge they had a selection of D40's there everyone was covered in scratches :( even the wife commented on the state of the vehicles, bearing in mind they were about 19k +vat. For this reason alone i will continue my search for a silver one don't know wether the paint is any better than the dark metalics but like David mentioned when it gets scratched the white base coat under the black looks awful

·
Registered
566 Posts
Rich,
I've got a silver one and it scratches just as easy as the rest.... but as you say, at least it is not as noticable. :?

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Dunc said:
Rich,
I've got a silver one and it scratches just as easy as the rest.... but as you say, at least it is not as noticable. :?
Thanks Dunc, are you pleased with everything else on your D40 :) reason i'm asking many questions on the D40's when i went to book my D22 in for the mot the mechanic mentioned about the con rod issues i said i was after a D40 he said but it's the same engine,that i'd be better to go for an hilux :cry: but i still would rather have the D40

·
Registered
566 Posts
Rich,
I don't think its the same engine as the D22.

Apart from that, I quite happy with it. I've changed the springs and shocks but engine / transmission wise, its very good. Towing wise it seems to be very strong and the most I've pulled is about 3-1/2 tons with no hassle.

If you go second hand, be careful to check recalls and service info with regard back axles (half shaft brgs), clutch / flywheel etc. Be very careful with service intervals as well - I've seen a couple of cases where the Manufacturer try and use any escuse to get out of warranty claims (inc, its 500 miles over service :shock: ).

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Dunc said:
Rich,
I don't think its the same engine as the D22.

Apart from that, I quite happy with it. I've changed the springs and shocks but engine / transmission wise, its very good. Towing wise it seems to be very strong and the most I've pulled is about 3-1/2 tons with no hassle.

If you go second hand, be careful to check recalls and service info with regard back axles (half shaft brgs), clutch / flywheel etc. Be very careful with service intervals as well - I've seen a couple of cases where the Manufacturer try and use any escuse to get out of warranty claims (inc, its 500 miles over service :shock: ).
Thanks for that Dunc, i'm after a king cab probaly 55/06, had been looking at an 06 plate with 19000 odd miles which went in for it's first service yesterday which did worry me about the warranty side of things

·
Registered
6 Posts
my paint seems **** to i have a black aventura ive only had it since march 07 and compared to my old d22 that was also black, the paint on this one is terrible already got a few scratches on it have to polish it every other week to keep it looking good ( i use the Turtle Wax colour magic and the chipstik thing works ok!) i did read an article in 4x4 magazine about mitsubishi l200s having problems with new water based paints dont know if nissan has changed to this paint to?
otherwise what a great truck so much better than the old D22 ( nothing but problems!)

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Gpreen said:
my paint seems **** to i have a black aventura ive only had it since march 07 and compared to my old d22 that was also black, the paint on this one is terrible already got a few scratches on it have to polish it every other week to keep it looking good ( i use the Turtle Wax colour magic and the chipstik thing works ok!) i did read an article in 4x4 magazine about mitsubishi l200s having problems with new water based paints dont know if nissan has changed to this paint to?
otherwise what a great truck so much better than the old D22 ( nothing but problems!)
I agree with you where the D40 seems to be a vast improvement over the D22 (although i haven't got a D40 yet) :roll: they seem to have cut costs with the D40 paintwork as the paint on my D22 seems a lot tougher :?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Brian,

Do they do colour sticks by the kilo? Mine is 3 weeks old although used as a proper builders vehicle and i swear it's trying to shed all the blue paint!

It's questionable about the 1050kg capacity as well!

Still a great truck though, just bought another 2 SE's for the fleet although they are white so less obvious to scrathes, especially covered in my logos.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Dunedin Development Ltd said:
Brian,

Do they do colour sticks by the kilo? Mine is 3 weeks old although used as a proper builders vehicle and i swear it's trying to shed all the blue paint!

It's questionable about the 1050kg capacity as well!

Still a great truck though, just bought another 2 SE's for the fleet although they are white so less obvious to scrathes, especially covered in my logos.
I like the white ones :D :D

1 - 20 of 36 Posts