Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all have just had a reply to an insurance claim I had put in for pot hole damage to our caravan which has caused the wardrobe to come away from the wall been they have refused the claim saying that in the caravan handbook it says that you should not tow with a commercial vehicle but on my truck insurance it states that the vehicle is a pick up the assessor also claimed it was a 4x4 has anybody heard of this before as they are saying I should have had a shock link fitted never even heard of this before do not even know what a shock link is ?
regards Martin

·
Administrator
12,991 Posts
A shock think is a rubber block that goes between the tow ball and tow bar.

Contact the manufacturers to get written confirmation that a pickup is a suitable tow vehicle.

Are you sure a repair would be more than the excess on your policy?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi LLandmannn I phoned Dixon bate this morning and was given a number to phone the person I spoke too told me that shock links were finished in 2014 and were no longer made he also said that he could not understand why I should need a shock link to tow a caravan so I am going to take it further as the quotation for repairs to our caravan are £1500 + vat thanks for your help landmannn also how can you cure the part that they say caused the damage if it is not available anymore.
regards Martin

·
Administrator
12,991 Posts
I had it in the back of my mind that that they were no longer made, they were used on leaf spring landrovers as they did break caravans without them.

Definitely worth discussing with the caravan manufacturer.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
HI landmannnn just a quick update Dixon bate do not make shock links anymore but there is a firm called peak dynamics who make a part called flexi tow which appears to do the same thing and has a review which says this part is excellent for towing caravans so thanks for your help and guess what Dixon bate part £650 approx. flexit tow £221 also guy I spoke too said that could possibly crack caravan chassis as well if not fitted so once again thanks.
regards Martin

·
Administrator
12,991 Posts
Interesting.

By the way, lots of people are getting payouts from the local council for pot hole damage to their cars.

While it doesn't seem right to take a couple of grand off the council in some ways, it would be another avenue.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi guys here is a further update from Swift caravans who made our caravan it is from the technical director a guy called Andy spacey and was dated 2011.
As the Navara is a passenger based vehicle I see no issues.
hope this helps regards Martin

ps got so fed up with yes you can no you can't answers decided to go straight to the horses mouth wish I had done so in the beginning would have saved so much time wasting.

·
Banned
1,474 Posts
Hi guys here is a further update from Swift caravans who made our caravan it is from the technical director a guy called Andy spacey and was dated 2011.
As the Navara is a passenger based vehicle I see no issues.
hope this helps regards Martin

ps got so fed up with yes you can no you can't answers decided to go straight to the horses mouth wish I had done so in the beginning would have saved so much time wasting.
Im afraid the issue is really in semantics as technically a pick is designated by statute as a commercial vehicle ! and is registered as such on its V5. So you may have a long messy claim.
Actually the technical guy has got it so wrong as the Navara is not a passenger based vehicle of any description

·
Registered
41 Posts
Only Lunar won't allow the Navara-lots of internet chatter if you look but the Navara has proper multilink suspension not leaf so is fine; shock links are not now legal on eu certified tow bars! And given how hard some car suspension is I fail to see the problem. Our dealer tows with a Navara and he said ours would be fine!

·
Registered
41 Posts
PS the caravan and motorhome club tow car awards actually tested lots of trucks-Amarok Ssangyong and Navara!

·
Banned
1,474 Posts
they are still wriggling out of it now saying wear and tear what a load of testicles
Its not caravan club insurance by any chance?
They have only recently dropped a claim against me for writing off a caravan when a guy pulled across me on a dual carriageway. His caravan took the front off my navara luckily Aviva who insured his towing car had already paid for the damage to my truck (12K) but wouldnt cover his caravan obviously. It took 18months to convince them they were barking up the wrong tree.
I know it will upset many on here but at least I had the knowledge I had took the Van off the road for good!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Its not caravan club insurance by any chance?
They have only recently dropped a claim against me for writing off a caravan when a guy pulled across me on a dual carriageway. His caravan took the front off my navara luckily Aviva who insured his towing car had already paid for the damage to my truck (12K) but wouldnt cover his caravan obviously. It took 18months to convince them they were barking up the wrong tree.
I know it will upset many on here but at least I had the knowledge I had took the Van off the road for good!
Got it in one I will be shopping around next year there useless

1 - 14 of 14 Posts