Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks I'm a newbie, nice friendly forum here!! Anyway i was looking at buying a 2002 Navara form a dealer, it has 82k miles with a good service history, it has the 2.5Di engine(sorry don't know the code), two tone blue and silver with the snugtop, I really liked it, but after reading the Sticky on the technical forum regarding the conrod issue on the D22 I'm kinda scared now, will i spend my time driving it with the stereo off waiting on THE bang? I can't afford to buy an engine, and had my share of nissan engine failures with a S13 200sx. I will be changing from a 01 530D.
Any advice would be very much appreciated.
Thanks in advance,G.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Have a look at this posting.

http://www.nissan-navara.net/viewtopic.php?t=2068&highlight=

It may be useful.
You might have already done this but IMO I think it's also really useful to go and have a conversation with the dealer you are getting the vehicle from just to get an idea of what support/backup you are going to get.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Ducktape, I live in Ireland so the dealers are not so helpful :roll: , I had a read at the thread earlier you posted, but I still have my doubts and to be honset I don't want to buy a car and hope that the engine doesn't self destruct, maybe a slot on watchdog might help. I really don't want to buy an L200, so it looks like an Isuzu D-Max for me, any other suggestions?. Gutted too as i had my heart set on a navara, what do you think?

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have owned my D22 from new and it has been a great vehicle to own, on and offroad.

I am part exing it for a new Toyota Hilux next week but it was a close run thing with the D40.
To cut a long story short the deciding factor was based on the need for greater rear interior cabin space and access.

For the generation of pickup you are looking at I don't think you can beat the D22 but I must admit although I had my D22 serviced by a main dealer from new and was given assurances in the event of conrod failure they would liaise favourably with Nissan it was always a nagging thought in the back of my mind.

However someone is going to get a great 53 (2004) D22 with only 36000 miles on it and a full documented Nissan service history which will probably go on to last 136000 miles if looked after properly.

Cheers

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers for the replies, Naughty Nissan man I can't stretch to a Newish Hilux, in Ireland toyota's hold their money like nothing else, must be due their good reliability reputation and the wonderful irish roads, NOT! I would still love a Navara but I told the wife about the " possible " conrod issue and she straight away reacred with " you can forget one of them then " schoolboy error telling her. Does anyone know the percentage of failures as I bought a 530D although they seem to have a reputation of turbo failure, I never usually go with the what if attitude, but a turbo can be replaced but an engine with a hole.......

·
Registered
221 Posts
I did some 'ball park' figures based on European sales of only UK registered sales against the number of failures that we know of and it came out at less than half of one percent!

Not accurate by any means but not alarming either.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheers for the replies Ducktape, certainly not alarming but still concerning, are you worried? I would still love a Navara, drove the D-max, another navara and an L200 today, and if i never new about the con-rod issue I would be collecting the Navara next week as it was by far the best drive. i asked the dealer about the " known " issue and his reply was he had never heard of this and only ever recovered these vehicles with clutch or driveshaft issues, is he being ignorant? or trying to bluff me??? My head is wrecked as i know I really want a navara but might have to settle for second choice, but then I might never be happy with 2nd choice and every time a Navara goes past me I will probably be envious... I guess I'll have to keep researching, but as any forums that are used it's mainly problems that are reported as no-one really starts a thread in a forum with " my car never breaks down, etc "...all reples very much appreciated
cheers.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Logic would say..don't be worried.

If you started a thread on D22 ownership I am sure the vast majority of owners would have had no significant problems.

In all this uncertantly there is one 'fact' that we do know of...and that is the design of the YD25dti engines oil feeder system requires you to have regular oil change intervals with a good quality 10W30 or 40 semi-synthetic oil.
If you look after it things should be fine. If you neglect it things might not be so fine...

·
Registered
515 Posts
my nav has never broke down. i havent changed a light bulb.sure they could have con rod issue i am changing my bearings and bolts for peace of mind.keep the oil and filter fresh,use molyslip.i also think reading ducktapes findings from nlssan it may pay to drop lower sump now and again to check pick up for interference.i trust when you buy it you will have a warranty :?: .fill your boots buy it theres a lot out there still going strong.remeber its a truck not a car . it will go like **** off a stick and thats partly what fcuks them.
neil

1 - 10 of 10 Posts