Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day everyone, I would like to know the factory speaker size and what brands and sizes have you upgraded too.

Also has anyone added a sub woofer behind the bench seat?

Is it possible? Is there any room back there?

All help is appreciated.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Good day!

In my np300 I have upgraded the front doors only to date. I was planning on doing the rear doors, dash mounted tweets and perhaps an active sub also. I haven’t done the last 3 items as I am happy with the huge improvement the fronts have given. I will get around to it one day in the summer I’m sure....

Firstly, if you are keeping the oem headunit (I did to keep the 4 camera around view system) and not amping you will need very sensitive speakers. The most efficient I could find is the hertz at 95 dB........Any speaker upgrade is only as good as the install. I spent nearly as much on sound deadening as I did the speakers. Luckily the doors allow a 9 x 6 and I used Hertz DCX 690/3. 180 w 3 ways. They sound excellent but as I say the doors are now sound deadened (inside and outer skins) and I made sound deadened MDF speaker mounts to suit them as the magnets are hugely larger than stock. You need around 20mm to clear the window mechanism.

There is room for an active sub under the passenger seat but it really doesn’t need it. The bass from the Hertz is excellent. The dash mounts will be next followed by the rear doors.

Give these Hertz a try... they have really impressed me!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you provide a link to the speakers please. I will look for those or something similar.

And you did say the 6x9 speakers fit correct?

"I did to keep the 4 camera around view system" - I am not sure what this is but I will be using the OEM head unit.

·
Super Moderator
4,472 Posts
I believe both np300 and D40 have 6x9s up front and 6.5" in the rear

·
Registered
203 Posts
i fitted a small 8" sub in my D40 king cab:
https://www.nissan-navara.net/23-members-trucks/105219-dobb-s-d40-toy.html

the 6x9s up front are plenty good as this type of speaker lends itself well to good base reflex and low end sound (i found that by upgrading my head unit, i actually got a better sound?)
i suspect my speakers were already upgraded by the previous owner however.

but with this smaller sized sub, i do find you can get a more "punchy" base, to compliment the low end coverage of the 6x9s, if that is what you are after.

a good set of dash and rear speakers should cover you for more high and mid range sound, which will finish off the install nicely.

·
Administrator
12,667 Posts
There isn't any space below or behind the rear seats for a sub.

Not many options..
A small sub and a custom made box might fit under a front seat.
A box could be made to fit on top of the rear transmission tunnel.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Speakers

Fitted the speakers below, as noted by others sound deadening material is a must. These Speakers make a big difference....

See below fitted, the adaptor was used to mount speakers with the sound deadening material.

Rainbow sound line 6.5” speaker ICT speaker
adaptor ford fiesta 08on ka 09on 165
skinz sound deadening skinz wave diffuser
Hope this helps.....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fitted the speakers below, as noted by others sound deadening material is a must. These Speakers make a big difference....

See below fitted, the adaptor was used to mount speakers with the sound deadening material.

Rainbow sound line 6.5” speaker ICT speaker
adaptor ford fiesta 08on ka 09on 165
skinz sound deadening skinz wave diffuser
Hope this helps.....

Thanks for your reply, but are the factory speakers 6x8 or 6x9 upfront and 6.5" in the rears?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As per post number 4 above.

Thank you, as he said believe I wanted to be sure as I would need to order.

Gonna go with the Rockford Fosgate P1692(front) and P1650(rears)

I will make a thread about it once it's happening.

Thanks for the input everyone.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I made mine myself from mdf as I wanted to cover them in sound deadening.

A previous post in this thread mentions adapters that were purchased but they will be cheap plastic as they all are.

Most installers will make their own...

·
Registered
203 Posts
I made mine myself from mdf as I wanted to cover them in sound deadening.

A previous post in this thread mentions adapters that were purchased but they will be cheap plastic as they all are.

Most installers will make their own...
s60r - do you have any pictures or advice? im looking to put sound deadening in my D40 but dont really know what im doing? i was just gonna slap a few sheets on the inside of the door skin and anything that rattles?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Hi Dave,

Firstly get sound deadening from eBay or Amazon. Don’t use Dynamat. It is the market leader and is excellent but it is hugely expensive. The cheaper makes are 5 times cheaper and easily as good for most people’s purposes. Get some “in phase’” or “vibe”. If you want to go mad like I did buy it on a roll it can come as big as 4 mts by 500mm or in single sheets. I got enough to do all 4 of the front speakers for about 25 quid I think.

Don’t be tempted by non butyl cheapies, they get hot in the summer and smell then fall off.

I removed the door cards, removed the speakers. Threw the oem speakers away as they are woeful (drew around them first though for a template). Made mdf rings from the template with a Jigsaw (takes minutes). I used 2 rings of 12mm mdf bonded and screwed together and completely covered in the sound deadening. (18mm would be very close for clearance on my chosen Hertz speakers so went with 24mm total depth)......... I then reached in the door cavity and deadened everything I could see and reach on both inner and outer skins concentrating mostly on 100% coverage immediately behind the speaker and all around where it sits. I went around 400mm away from the speaker site as that was the size of my roll. I cut the plastic membrane where necessary and put the stuff everywhere I could see rattle points like behind cables or loose plastic parts. Then re sealed the plastic with duck tape.

The speakers once screwed to the adapters make a perfect seal with the sound deadening. I also added a bit to the inside of the door card around the speaker opening only.

The result is zero and I mean zero vibration. Anytime I get vibration from my door card it’s because I have some **** floating around in the door pockets that needs wedging or removing.

I think the effort in deadening is so worth it particularly on the 6x9’s as they can produce some decent bass. I think this is the reason I have not felt the need to add my active sub. The sound improvement is huge. I will do the rears one day but in my experience the improvement you get from the fronts is massive.... when you upgrade the rear speakers the improvement is very small and not worth the effort....unless you sit in the back a lot of course!!

Anyway.... apologies for waffle.... you did ask though!!! ;)

I have pictures somewhere.... But I’ve never posted pics on this forum.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts