Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got the opportunity to buy a bose sub and amp out of a 2014 v6 nav for £50 !
I was previously planing to build my own box as i already have a 1000w amp and a 10" 300w subwoofer from a previous install !
So can anyone comment on the performance of the standard bose sub or should i proceed as planned with the custom box?

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
I am quite keen on quality home audio and also live music, and while I reckon anything in a car or truck cannot be anything better than simply a "loud" compromise (and usually distorted), I have to agree with Landmannnn and say the V6 has an OK Bose stereo and with a bit of fiddling the sub is not bad at all... It only lacks a bottom octave rather than the usual 2 or 3 octaves, bearing in mind a bass E-string is 40Hz, so your lower -3dB point needs to be say 15-20Hz to get that properly. A kick drum goes lower, and some organ pipes go to 16Hz....

What I don't or can't know is how well a V6 sub meshes with a different, existing head unit.... Some head units already filter out a channel for a sub-bass, and it all depends on the filter parameters and the system as a whole..

Bottom line: if the price is right, get it and try it!

Top Tip 1: Low bass is only needed on one channel, not in stereo. Your ears are not very able to locate where low bass is coming from in a stereo sound-field. Most car-stereo enthusiasts are unaware of what a proper 3D, stereo sound field sounds like until they hear a proper quality home hi-fi set up, which tends to make them give up in a car or truck....

Top Tip 2: In a moving vehicle, you are subjected to a lot of low bass and infra-sonics that tend to confuse or drown out low bass in any music, so don't get hung up on making it too loud - it's a hiding to nothing that just makes "real music" sound fake and odd... But at least you may get a little bit of kick-drum and the bottom two octaves (like a bass guitar) with a good sub-woofer.

Reactions: dobblerdave

·
Super Moderator
4,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I am quite keen on quality home audio and also live music, and while I reckon anything in a car or truck cannot be anything better than simply a "loud" compromise (and usually distorted), I have to agree with Landmannnn and say the V6 has an OK Bose stereo and with a bit of fiddling the sub is not bad at all... It only lacks a bottom octave rather than the usual 2 or 3 octaves, bearing in mind a bass E-string is 40Hz, so your lower -3dB point needs to be say 15-20Hz to get that properly. A kick drum goes lower, and some organ pipes go to 16Hz....

What I don't or can't know is how well a V6 sub meshes with a different, existing head unit.... Some head units already filter out a channel for a sub-bass, and it all depends on the filter parameters and the system as a whole..

Top Tip 1: Low bass is only needed on one channel, not in stereo. Your ears are not very able to locate where low bass is coming from in a stereo sound-field. Most car-stereo enthusiasts are unaware of what a proper 3D, stereo sound field sounds like until they hear a proper quality home hi-fi set up, which tends to make them give up in a car or truck....

Top Tip 2: In a moving vehicle, you are subjected to a lot of low bass and infra-sonics that tend to confuse or drown out low bass in any music, so don't get hung up on making it too loud - it's a hiding to nothing that just makes "real music" sound fake and odd... But at least you may get a little bit of kick-drum and the bottom two octaves (like a bass guitar) with a good sub-woofer.
I know what your saying about expectations of a car install i used to be massively into car audio + home cinema so fully aware of the limits of each
Ive recently installed a android headunit and infinity 6x9's in all 4 doors (wish i hadn't with the rears because it wasnt easy) and just feel its lacking the thump of low bass
Anyone got a wiring diagram of the sub connections?

·
Registered
203 Posts

what a write up! i love stuff like this :) really useful.

back on track, i recently fitted a small 8" sub and i love it (pics in build thread).. i make no claim to be any sort of audophile (im pretty sure im tone deaf) but i do like the be able to feel my bass.

now, i assume i have factory 6x9s in the doors, and the bass on them at volume was pretty good. But having a small, dedicated sub, has made a huge difference in my humble, yet equally valid, little opinion.

With regards to going aftermarket or OE+ i think 1) Bose know their stuff.. and 2) if its OE+ then it should fit like a glove? and will save you so much effort...
However, this being said...there is some satisfaction in doing it yourself.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts