Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all can anyone help with the location of the starter motor fuse on a d40 automatic please. Thanks again Taag

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
Normally the starter motor circuit isn't fused, even the crank feed isn't.

why do you feel its a fuse issue?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for coming back to me just expolring all avenues as all of a sudden the starter motor wont turn, my next thought would be possibly a jammed starter motor any idea how to unjam one of these . Thanks

·
Premium Member
15,733 Posts
It is unlikely the starter is jammed on.

Have you had the engine running since the problem came up? If so how did you start it and did it make any unusual noises?

When you turn the ignition key to the starter position, is there any kind of noise from the starter?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi there, no engine hasn't started since it wouldn't if that makes sense? all ll i hear is the click from the solenoid, dont think starter jammed on ,I only do about 1000 miles in total a year on two separate journeys one summer , one winter to go home to North of Scotland from South Wales, so am not really surprised it has possibly stuck due to lack off use, seems to have been getting lazier starting in October last year, March this year and now. It started two weeks ago when it went down for its annual MOT, when i picked it up was lazy turning over again, and brought it home , parked in drive as normal. Now battery 12.94v so I know thats ok but just the solenoid clicking niose. If it turns out to be the starter is it worth getting this one reconditioned or just going for a new one. Wessex Nissan currently have a genuine starter on the bay for less than £100 , before i forget, not trusting Nissan parts to give 100% accurate answer is there a difference between a starter for a manual and a starter for my auro
Many thanks again Tagg

·
Premium Member
15,733 Posts
Have you tried a jump start from another vehicle? (With decent jump leads).

Before spending your hard earned cash on a new starter, try cleaning up the electrical connections. You'll need to undo any earth connections and use wet and dry/emery cloth to polish the bodywork and connections to shiny bare metal. You can cover the re-done connection in waxoyl or similar.

Start at the battery, disconnect the earth lead.(leave it off for now) clean the battery terminal and the connector, follow the lead down to where it connects to the inner wing and do that connection. Finally follow the lead to the engine block to do the same. Any earth leads your find en-route treat the same. 

There is an earth point on the inner offside wing (behind the ECU) open it up and clean it.

Go back to the battery and do the same with the live/positive lead, following it to the starter motor and any connections between.

If you go to the Amayama website you can search for genuine parts for your truck and get the right part number.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is really helpull thanks. I am going to try and get the truck down to a friend of mine who has a pit and will try everything above just as you recommend and will let you know. Really appreciate it cheers

·
Super Moderator
4,529 Posts
Give the starter a whack with a decent weight mallet
Old trick for stuck starters
Worth a try for nowt

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well the good news after following all the recommendations from above and then tapping the starter solenoid everything all fixed turns out it was a bad earth connection coupled to a sticking solenoid so I am one very happy chap. Just like to say thanks for all the help and advice . Cheers Taag

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anyone have any ideas my Nissan Navara D40 titanium edition all of a sudden won't start battery is brand new all fuses ok when I go to start it no crank nothing could it be a ignition relay

·
Administrator
12,991 Posts
Welcome along.

Does everything else work?

There is a very high current fuse on the passive battery terminal that would be worth checking.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts