Nissan-Navara.net banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short but due to a communication....****-up my '07 navara has had a massive oil overfill, about 15l! It now won't crank and start. I'm not techie so bear with me.

Whilst overfilled it made a thunking noise, brief engine shake and subsequent complete electric loss with the key fully turned. After realising what had happened I drained and put the correct amount of oil in, but not much difference, although there's now a brief whine and half a weak sounding crank before cutting out.

Looking on the net most people's issues are with smaller volumes of overfill and are whilst the engine has been running but I haven't even be able to start, so hopefully no major damage caused and I just need to drain some specific areas of the engine? Any suggestions - cylinders get mentioned? There was a little bit of oil in the air hose and around the turbo inlet.

·
Administrator
15,479 Posts
You can damage the crankshaft by overfilling the engine, I can't think why there would be an electrical problem.

Oil in the intake is normal by the way.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can damage the crankshaft by overfilling the engine, I can't think why there would be an electrical problem.

Oil in the intake is normal by the way.
I've seen lots of issues with the crankshaft frothing the oil, I can't even get started. I've had leads attached, no difference. There's no codes showing either at least not on a cheapo odb2 dongle. Could it be because a sensors covered in oil?

I took out the glow plugs, tips were about an inch covered in oil. How do I drain oil from there, should only be diesel in there right?

·
Administrator
15,479 Posts
It sounds like the combustion chambers got oil in them, if so then apart from taking the glow plugs out and turning the vehicle upside down, turning the engine by hand with the plugs out should let the oil drain psst the piston rings.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks landmannn, got it running - with the glow plugs out ended up jacking the front up and spinning the wheels with it in gear. Put plugs back in, start it up and with a lot of blue smoke it's running fine.

Took it for a little spin and smokes pretty much cleared now.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There was a bit of metallic sludge spat out around the glow plug holes so I am worried about contamination, will fill up with premium diesel next time but may need something more heavy duty, are there any recommended cleaners? UK equivalent of sea foam motor treatment type cleaner? Even after 2 lots of oil through it was still as black as the midnight sun.

·
Administrator
15,479 Posts
The oil should burn off eventually. Saying that, they may be a fair amount of oil in the catalytic converter.

There are various additives available, not sure which to recommend.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I would check your air filter as well, just in case. I had a garage put some 3l of oil over in a car a while back, and while at a set of traffic lights, smoke from under bonnet. Yup, air filter on fire.. heaven knows how, it was full of oil, guess a backfire and shazam. Fortunately, a bus going by had a fire extinguisher.
Garage admitted liability when the dipstick was pulled out showing huge overfill..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts