Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone fabricated steel bumpers for their trucks. See a few that have been done but wanted to know if anyone was willing to share their process or drawings as I fancied having a go myself but not entirely sure where to start. Any advice on the matter would be appreciated

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers guys. The 2k is well out of budget. I did read about those people. 300 very reasonable. I've tried the search function but for some reason it always seems to lead off topic. I will search some more as sketches would be fine. I'm a fabricator by trade but I'm not supposed to do "home jobs" in work. I was hoping I could find rough dimensions so I could make it up in several pieces and take home to finish welding. Didn't really want to be taking the bumper on and off more than I had to.

I've been watching a few videos online and it doesn't seem very difficult to make. Hopefully with a few hole centers and anglee, I could start fabbing a few bit up ready.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've been watching a few videos online and it doesn't seem very difficult to make. Hopefully with a few hole centers and anglee, I could start fabbing a few bit up ready.

I made one for my 2012 Ford Ranger from scratch (I'll try and find a pic)... Basically mock-up it with cardboard till I was happy then scanned thos patterns and created DXF's... from there I had 3mm MDF waterjet cut and tweaked design till it was happy....... then had 3mm steel cut.

·
Administrator
11,565 Posts
A few things to think about before launching into the project

You should inform your insurance company

It will impact on how the airbags are triggered

Making it too heavy will mean you have to upgrade your front springs

Will you integrate a winch?

Personally I would start off replacing the flimsy rear bumper and side steps as a fabrication project

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fondles, pics would be awesome! I have read and watched videos on mocking up with cardboard. Then using to pieces to cut steel plate and fabricate.

Landmannnn, this is very true, although I didn't know about the airbags. The side steps will be the first as this is an easy fabrication job. Also got rear bumper planned (couldn't have an awesome front bumper and a big plastic/chrome one on the back). I know I need to tell my insurance, although it seems like a bit of a grey area, especially when it comes to non winch bumpers and to bumpers with hoops on the front/top

1 - 8 of 8 Posts