Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a Spain spec VSK VIN number 07 twin cab D40 in South Africa and through various research decided that when I upgrade my radio, I would like to add some steering controls for the radio, I based everything pretty much on this video I saw by an Australian company where it was plug and play, they had a harness available for this upgrade as well which made it look real easy.

So I ordered the radio which is a kenwood ddx9905s, I ordered the harness from AUS and I started looking for the steering controls online as my Navara did not have them and had a blank console on the left of the steering wheel with the speed control on the right console. I found some steering controls on Ebay, and yes I should have done more research, but the ones I found looked really good, no scratches on them but they were the trip computer buttons, they did however have a volume spring switch as well as a source button so I though seeing that all these send out a signal and the radio giving you options to remap the switch on the radio to whatever you want it to be, that we could make this work.

Here are the ones I bought:

So we installed the stereo and wrongfully plugged the mini jack from the harness into the AV jack plug in the radio, we removed the airbag, put the new steering controls in as well as the new speed control, the Navara never had factory fitted steering controls.

What we noted:
*Speed controls work fine
*The radio under user interface has no menu for steering controls, not even a blanked out one so from all the videos I have seen online it looks like it needs a signal before it will bring a menu up on the radio for the steering controls.

So doing further research with me being super stupid with stuff like this, we noted that this radio has a blue wire with yellow stripe on it, labeled steering remote which we found in the manual and that it has no jack plug for steering controls:

What I noted afterwards:
*There are various types of setups for steering controls ranging from everywhere and different countries for the D40, some have different buttons to others
*All of these had different wires plugged in behind the airbag plug

We have tried everything we possibly could so far:

We started with just the volume switch and found 600 ohms measured volume up and 600 ohms volume down.
We have tried connecting the wires directly from the steering controls to the blue and yellow wire but it seems that it needs something else for it to come up and register an input on the radio.
We have taken the car to a stereo company and they mentioned that it goes through the can bus and that the car is not wired up for steering controls.
We emailed Kenwood asking what does the radio need to receive on the blue wire, is it a DC voltage, and they dont know.
We emailed axxess interfaces regarding the awsc1 remote module box and they said it wont work seeing that the car is not factory fitted and that their remotes taps into the wires just behind the radio.
We emailed the people that sold us the remote in AUS and they dont know.
We have tried multiple avenues to get wiring diagrams just to see where the wires go and what they need.

I have gone through various topics and just cant find an answer, the friend of mine where the car is at is determined that he will eventually make it work, he is really good with electrics and so.

Now my question, can this work or not or is this a wiring or computer issue that my Navara just doesn't have components for?
Where do the wires go once they leave the plug in the steering wheel and do they go through some module or computer before they return to the back of the radio?

·
Administrator
12,976 Posts
For a Kenwood, you need a steering wheel interface, Google CAW-RL2001.

This allows the resistive (not canbus on yours) swcs to interface with the Kenwood.

From what others have said, the wiring is in place. There aren't any other connections to the ECU.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For a Kenwood, you need a steering wheel interface, Google CAW-RL2001.

This allows the resistive (not canbus on yours) swcs to interface with the Kenwood.

From what others have said, the wiring is in place. There aren't any other connections to the ECU.
Thanks a lot for that, I just had a look at the link on the EU Kenwood site for the CAW-RL2001 and looked at the user manual https://kasc.kenwood.com/files/prod/2752/5/CAW-RL2001_K_JVC_Total_v1.0.pdf

Seems I would need a universal harness for the CAW-RL2001, part number part number CAW-DY2999 https://www.kenwood.eu/car/accessories/steeringwheel_remote/CAW-DY2999/

Thanks for the update on the wires, so even if the car is not factory fitted with steering controls the wires are in place from the steering wheel plug all the way to the back of the radio?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I seem to remember others have found the wiring is in place.
You have been a huge help man thanks so much.

I can hardly find any installation videos or topics on this but the user manuals seem to be quite good.

So for I have noted that I need the CAW-RL2001 module box with either the universal harness CAW-DY2999 or the Navara harness for 2007 models and up CAW-NS2510.

I cant find the module box in model number 2001 separate, I can only find the 2000 model, so far from what I can see the 2000 model is the original steering remote box (https://www.kenwood.eu/car/accessories/steeringwheel_remote/CAW-RL2000/ https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KENWOOD-CAW-RL2000-Car-Universal-Steering-Wheel-Remote-Control-Adapter-Box-NOS/113697374270?hash=item1a78e4403e:g:ghcAAOSwCPZb2Iwj) with the 2001 being the universal box, so from that information, I take it the 2000 wont work?

However I have found the CAW-RL2001 with the universal harness CAW-DY2999 together for 80 Euro's (https://powermusic.es/interface-mandos-volante/interface-mandos-volante-kenwood-jvc-caw-rl2001caw-dy2999.html)

I also noted that there is a Navara harness CAW-NS2510, which is 70 Euro's alone, no module box included, and this is the only place I could find it from https://www.toms-car-hifi.de/zubehoer/car-hifi-zubehoer/marken-zubehoer/zubehoer-kabel-kenwood/7513/caw-ns2510

·
Administrator
12,976 Posts
Looks like you are having loads of fun.

Have you had a look at the cwrl2001 user manual in detail?

Firstly I would check that the steering wheel control signals are getting to the pins on the white connector (page 8 in the user manual) noting there are 3 different types on the Navara for some reason.

If good then I would use the generic plug for the interface and hardwire it in, the vehicle specific harness is bound to have the wrong plug.

·
Administrator
12,976 Posts
For anybody else reading this, buy a Pumpkin head unit!

Not only does it have Android, OBD and loads of other features, it does not need a special interface.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The problem we are having is that we are not getting any continuity between the steering controls and the wires at the plug on page 8, or the cars harness that goes into the radio, and we have tried all of them.

Thats why it is still very confusing as to how can the wires not run through some can bus or something before they reach the radio, because if the ran straight there with resisters fitted, it would register some continuity.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks a lot for that man, will send it on and let you know. I tried to reply to your PM, got the email, thanks a stack for your help!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts