Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a quick look on the searches, but can’t seem to find anything – sorry if this has already been asked.

I have a problem with the steering on my 2007 D40, its miss aligned ever so slightly – so instead of being 9-3 across its more like 10 – 4 – and it’s annoying.

It does not pull - if I let go of the wheel at when it’s at 10 – 4 it goes in a straight line, but if I put the wheel back to 9-3 it steers to the left.

It’s been back to the garage twice now, and they say the tracking is all ok and that they can’t adjust the wheel as it’s only out by a slight amount, so it must be something else that’s worn but they don’t know what

Anyone got any ideas?

·
Registered
543 Posts
I had the same problem, it's down to tracking and steering box play. ETB have a steering geometry program written for the Frontier that cures the problem but the secret is finding someone that wants to do the job properly.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
564 Posts
It is very easy to correct this.
You need to open a quarter thread in the left side of the steering rack tie rod and to close a quarter thread in the right side tie rod.
This way you simply turn the front wheels to the direction of the offset of the steering wheel.
If this is not enough to correct the miss-alignment do one quarter more on the both ends, close on side and on open ion the other side.

·
Registered
564 Posts
You need to open a quarter thread in the left side of the steering rack tie rod and to close a quarter thread in the right side tie rod.
This way you simply turn the front wheels to the direction of the offset of the steering wheel.
If this is not enough to correct the miss-alignment do one quarter more on the both ends, close on side and open in the other side.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
GreaseDonkey said:
If this is not enough to correct the miss-alignment do one quarter more on the both ends, close on side and open in the other side.
Yup as he says :thumbright:
Woz

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Ahtyrrell said:
normally when the tracking is set up they forget to centre the steering wheel
If they don't centre your wheel before they start tracking, you should go somewhere else to get it done. Tracking a vehicle is an art. There are very low tolerances set out by the manufacturer, and most tyre places don't have the patience or skills to track within those limits.

I travel nearly 140km to get my tracking done, because it's only place where I've seen it done right. They have a clamp that fits between the wheel and the driver's seat to make sure the wheel stays centred during the tracking. A lot of places don't bother with that. If it's done right, it stays right for longer. I get mine done about every 6 months, which is nearly 50,000km worth of driving. Having said that, I'm careful to avoid potholes and rough patches of road.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Long time since I did automotive technology, if the steering wheel is not correctly aligned when the wheels are tracked then you will get some degree of crabbing, a few degrees will be almost unnoticeable. Laser tracking helps and with rack and pinion can work on its own but Navs LR etc. pretty well all have a steering box, built into the steering box is an amount of play that may or may not be adjustable via a locking screw, its this play that has to be compensated for when tracking the vehicle, that's where experience and willingness to do the job come in, when mine was last done the guy doing the job went off to find a junior fitter to show him how to do this, took for ever with him explaining every step but she drove very well.

Any misalignment will be exaggerated if you are towing and especially under braking if you have a heavy trailer the force exerted by the weight of the trailer under braking will not be linear and try to turn the towing vehicle, it will feel as though the front brakes have become unbalanced.

Here endeth the lecture.

·
Banned
280 Posts
what a load of rubbish. if the wheels are tracked 100% the steering wheel could be at 12 & 6 and it wouldnt make any differents to the way it drive its only the way the wheel looks, it would still go where its ment to, i will say the the steering wheel need to be held when the tracking is done but i had my old one done 3 times before they nealy got it right, my new nav is spot on :lol:

·
Registered
543 Posts
It will still go where you point it yes, but the rear wheels won't follow in the same line. They nearly got it right because when it was set up they used the extent off free play in order to have something to index against.

The amount of free play will be very small possibly no more than +/- 0.5 degree's I cant say what degree of precision/accuracy the ESP and GPS work to but would guess the ESP would register an error first. The GPS will probably forgive quite a lot as the course you are driving must continually be corrected.

I've no accuarte means of measuring it but the circumference of the wheel I estimate to be 1190 mm. divide by 360 degrees multiply by 1.0 = 3.30 mm. (+/- 1.65mm.) free play measured at the outer edge of the steering wheel steering wheel.

Consider driving along a road that has camber, all manner of natural unevenness bends and hills are you going to notice this degree of inaccuracy, probably not.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Usually, steering wheel angle sensor will log the new position of the steering wheel after a short drive even if wheel is extremely out of centre. In case log is not self adapt, battery disconnection will do the trick or calibration with a scanner.

The way I mentioned to correct slight miss-alignment is not "tracking" because both side are corrected evenly and to the same direction and this is the only way to correct steering wheel centre position in cars that’s don’t have tooth in the steering shaft or to correct a small angle that can not be done from the steering wheel.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If this is not enough to correct the miss-alignment do one quarter more on the both ends, close on side and on open ion the other side.

Hi mate.
My is pulling slightly to the left so how much and which side i have to open and wchich have to closed ?
thanks for the clue.
Appreciate.
Val

·
Administrator
12,349 Posts
If it is pulling one way you won't improve things by adjusting the tie rods. You need to check tyre pressures and condition first. Bear in mind the Navaras are quite sensitive to camber, so will often pull to the left, or the right for those who drive on the wrong side of the road.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts