Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not to knowledgeable on mechanics.

Coils and leafs make sense in my head but How do you lift the supension on a vehicle with torsion bars?

Thanks, Thomas

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:D Great!

I'm looking at OME suspension, the rear springs say 30mm lift but the torsion bars dont actually mention any lift!?

G

·
ok - a 'torsion bar' is i think a misnomer.

1970s F1 cars, and porches have torsion bar suspension - nissans dont.

i think they are referring to anti roll bars.

so - shorten or lengthen the anti roll bar to wishbone link, and theres a tension against the rubber holders.

its a total bodge, and is horrible in my opinion.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Thomas,
My understanding of torsion bar suspension is that it uses the twist resistance of a bar to do the work of a spring... ie, the inner end of the bar is attached to the vehicle, the outer attached to the hub assembly. As the hub assembly moves up and down, the bar resists the twist thus return the hub to its neutral position.

With respect to Guy, my '79 Subaru had torsion bar suspension, I thought it was actually quite common.

In theory, I would have thought it should be simple to "lift" a torsion system as you would only have to fit a bar with an offset securing mechanism at the inner end (ie, same as artifically pre-twisting the shaft). You may need to alter other components to keep the wheel central in the arch but if you are buying a kit, I'm sure this is all accounted for.

I have no doubt that the OME kit you are looking at is well designed and may use better material for the torsion bar that can provide more movement at the hub end etc.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Most if not all Jap 4x4's have torsion bar front suspension.

There will be an adjuster bolt under the car, crank this a few turns and it will increase the preload on your front suspension giving an inch to an inch and a half of lift at the front end but making the suspension a bit stiffer.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have asked about, you right Simmo now that I remember one side was lower than the other and my mate sorted it out by this adjustment, I guess ading more torsion to the bar which lifts it. :D :D

·
Registered
224 Posts
adjusting the front torsion bars will raise the front, it will not pre-load any more stiffness to your suspension as they are already loaded to your vehicles sprung weight. you'll get about 2" of lift out of a 4x4 nav, but your steering geomatry will need resetting.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Has any one here actualy changed their torsion bars? or had them changed?

Can you Aussie guys help?

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What after market suspension is avalible to the UK?

I have been looking at OME but what else is there? Do Rancho sell to the UK?

·
Registered
566 Posts
Thomas,
Although I found quite a few manufacturers for the D40, I only actually found OME in the UK, as supplied by TBR, Frogs Island, Devon 4x4... The price was cheaper than importing myself and moochos less hassle, as I've already had OME for other vehicles, I caved in and ordered. :D

·
Registered
224 Posts
i did say 'kid'

when you look at the choice you had thirty years ago (allegro, hunter,avenger) it's styling was way ahead of its time.

it's like a half scale model of a discovery, and that never surfaced 'till 1989

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Dunc said:
Thomas,
Although I found quite a few manufacturers for the D40, I only actually found OME in the UK, as supplied by TBR, Frogs Island, Devon 4x4... The price was cheaper than importing myself and moochos less hassle, as I've already had OME for other vehicles, I caved in and ordered. :D
Thanks Dunc,

The OME suspesion looks good but only gives 30mm lift, I'd like a bit more than that :wink: Also tbr arent replying!

LA Supertrux have a 2"kit at a good price but I would ether have to leave my Nav with them (in Northhampten) for a week or fit it myself but possibly fabricate my own brackets, niether of which I can realy do.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well I have just joined and payed my £10 now they just have to get back to me!

I will thank you in advance, Thanks! 8)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts