Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, Can anybody offer advice on swapping the A/C condenser on the D40, mines rotted away and I have been quoted around £400 to replace. Ive seen condensers with 2 year warranty at £90.00
so £320 for swapping and gassing seems excessive. Any help on what to do will be much welcomed.
Many thanks, Grahami

·
Registered
115 Posts
hi grahami

sorry cant help with your problem personally but I do have the exact same issues on my own '05 D40. just been told it'd be £500+ from Nissan to replace.
i've seen replacements on 'airconparts' @£90, 'advanced radiators' @£105 and then also 'eurocarparts' @£182. was informed by local garage that these can sometimes not be quite to same spec etc as original parts, so I've left it for now.

would be very helpful if anyone could advise on this, and also whether this a job for a capable home DIYer...???
cheers

·
Registered
120 Posts
I've just done this on my Nav and it's easily achievable for most people I'd think.

Remove the engine cover & front grille
Remove the two top radiator bolts & the air con pipe fittings (note I could only do this as the air con was completely empty!). I bagged up the ends of the air con pipes at this point.
Disconnect the pressure sensor switch.
Undo the two condenser to radiator bolts.
Lift/slide the radiator assembly towards the engine block to give enough space to lift out the condenser.
Swap the pressure sensor onto the new condenser when out of the vehicle
Refit is opposite - note the air con people suggested I use a smear of vaseline (nothing else, apparently) on the pipe o-rings on reassembly

Note be careful of the somewhat delicate aluminium pipes that won't like being bent!

HOWEVER - when I came to get it regassed (and there's an amount of compressor oil to add too as the condenser has been replaced, according to the Nissan manual) there was a leak (bad weld) in the new condenser. I have had serious arguments with the supplier (Advanced Radiators) and only after quoting my rights under the Sales of Goods Act have we agreed a course of action (they wanted me to send it back and run without for several weeks at my own cost and risk). I then bought another one (from Mister-Auto) which arrived totally mangled (bent in 2 axis and the high pressure inlet bracket bent) so I haven't even tried to fit that. They immediately agreed to send a replacement - but this hasn't happened as yet. So £225 down (2 useless condensers and a regas 'diagnostic charge') with nothing but hassle to show for it so would be tempted to advise not to do this yourself due to the apparent fragility of the condenser during shipping.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Many Thanks for the info. I think I may do some ringing round to get a better price.
Kind Regards, Graham

·
Registered
115 Posts
just to reiterate from Graham, thanks very much for the info and feedback. kinda making me now think 'how much do I want/need this to be working...'
will sit on it a while probably. much appreciated though! cheers.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Ok, so Mister-Auto have sent through a replacement condenser with actually very little hassle. This one arrived in good condition, so I fitted it at the weekend it has just been regassed successfully. Now all I have to do is to reclaim my money for the first condenser (they're collecting it on Monday) and send back the second (bent) one.

On a really positive note, I've gotten very good and quick at swapping condensers, should anyone in the Leicester/Coventry area need a hand :)

·
Registered
308 Posts
ed_g said:
I've just done this on my Nav and it's easily achievable for most people I'd think.

Remove the engine cover & front grille
Remove the two top radiator bolts & the air con pipe fittings (note I could only do this as the air con was completely empty!). I bagged up the ends of the air con pipes at this point.
Disconnect the pressure sensor switch.
Undo the two condenser to radiator bolts.
Lift/slide the radiator assembly towards the engine block to give enough space to lift out the condenser.
Swap the pressure sensor onto the new condenser when out of the vehicle
Refit is opposite - note the air con people suggested I use a smear of vaseline (nothing else, apparently) on the pipe o-rings on reassembly

Note be careful of the somewhat delicate aluminium pipes that won't like being bent!

HOWEVER - when I came to get it regassed (and there's an amount of compressor oil to add too as the condenser has been replaced, according to the Nissan manual) there was a leak (bad weld) in the new condenser. I have had serious arguments with the supplier (Advanced Radiators) and only after quoting my rights under the Sales of Goods Act have we agreed a course of action (they wanted me to send it back and run without for several weeks at my own cost and risk). I then bought another one (from Mister-Auto) which arrived totally mangled (bent in 2 axis and the high pressure inlet bracket bent) so I haven't even tried to fit that. They immediately agreed to send a replacement - but this hasn't happened as yet. So £225 down (2 useless condensers and a regas 'diagnostic charge') with nothing but hassle to show for it so would be tempted to advise not to do this yourself due to the apparent fragility of the condenser during shipping.

Am I reading this correctly that the radiator does not need to be removed to get the condenser unit out? I had mine re-gassed a year ago and after 48 hours it had gone back to being empty; I got the re-gas done free as a guvvy job by a friend so it wasn't the end of the world. He spotted that the condenser was about knackered but gave it a go anyway. The Nissan service manual pretty much says strip the front end down to get the condenser unit out- would be great if it doesn't need all of that doing.

I'm looking at ordering one from carparts4less - http://www.carparts4less.co.uk/cp4l/c/Nissan_Navara_2.5_2006/p/car-parts/car-cooling-parts-and-car-heating/air-conditioning1/air-conditioning-condenser/?222700261&1&4e2787fc18c7ce2e4505ef6b025553b46b6bc20f&000382 with using the saveme75 it comes out at £86.58 which is a bargain, so I'll be back running all being well for about £120 - however if I'm unlucky and the new condenser has a leak, and I have to send it back, is it safe to seal the ends of the air con pipes with electrical tape or similar and run the vehicle until a new condenser unit arrives or is that asking for trouble? The old girl is my daily commuter you see.... :)

·
Registered
115 Posts
can't help with the installation / removal advice mate but would be good to hear an update from you on how you get on with that condenser and fitting... still not moved on whether to bother with it myself from last year.

good luck :thumbleft:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Not familiar with changing the bits on a Navara, however provided access is easily achievable as described above the mechanics of it is the easy bit. What I would advise is that when breaking into a refrigeration loop cleanliness is paramount make sure everything is squeaky clean when you are putting it back together..making connections.
I would also avoid kwik-fit type organisations and go for a refrigeration company that also does auto systems. The car course is half a day course.
Any refrigeration engineer worth his salt will carry out a pressure test of the system using dry nitrogen to the correct pressure multiple for the standing pressure of the refrigerant. He will also then use the Nitrogen to flush moisture out of the system which is a fridge systems worst enemy.
He will then also carry out a vacuum test and again if he knows what he is doing check for leaks using a Torr Gauge to measure the vacuum accurately... the gauges on a charging/service manifolds and the all in pne units quick fit use are not accurate enough to check this.
You should insist the oil charge comes from a new tin of oil and witness the seal being broken as the oil is hydroscopic and as such absorbs moisture from the atmosphere when exposed.
Oil should be sucked in to the system using the vacuum and the system vacuumed for at least half an hour to remove any moisture from the oil. If they do not do this then do not pay them..
It is also against the law punishable by a huge fine and possible imprisonment to charge a fridge system you know to be leaking.
A word of warning regarding cheap refrigeration system parts especially condensers as you get what you pay for. Poor quality alloys can become porous very quickly which is not overly apparent during a pressure test or vacuum test as the holes are numerous but microscopic and the charge will leak out over an extended period leaving you scratching your head as no leaks can be detected. The only way to find these is to add a fluorescent dye to the refrigerant and look for it in th dark using a UV backlight

·
Registered
3 Posts
in regards to the ac condenser, im fairly new and was wondering if anyone has links to buying a new one. my mechanic said itd be cheaper to purchase one on my own for him to install.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I would use eBay.
OK for some things but not good if you buy one thats already porous as you may not know until the mechanic has fitted and regassed , hence the mechanic passing the buck as they are notoriously difficult to get one that doesnt leak. we use a local supplier so we know quality and problems will not hold us up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts