Nissan-Navara.net banner

The last few weeks BOAT Action

3K views 23 replies 6 participants last post by  TJ16 
#1 ·
After the xmas break, I thought I'd post up some of my Greenlaning over the plain. Some pictures of the snow we had too. The Church is St. Giles in Imber on the plain.

Attachments

See less See more
Reactions: pistol6000
#2 ·
Some more pics of the Byways of Wiltshire in the snow. The Pathfinder (Hank) didn't miss a beat.

Attachments

Reactions: pistol6000
#3 ·
am so jealous all ourr BOATs have gone the way of TROs so all action is Derbyshire way or up in the Lakes but am not going up or down there until i get some proper sump guards and sliders been there done that repaired the damage V8 Jeep gearboxes are not cheap even secondhand

#4 ·
It's a shame, they are slowly being taken away. Not sure why really, walker and horse riders have the rest of the country to roam over. :crying: But they seem to target the little bit of access they do have to share, and remove people from it.

#9 ·
For some reason I didn't notice that you were so close to me. We should do a little trip out at some point.

Also, for everyone reading, Salisbury Plain has got a voluntary TRO in place at the moment on some of the routes. Please check before going on the Plain which routes are covered as we don't want them going to a permanent TRO

#10 ·
Yeah we should, there are some good lanes around here, any in Berkshire?

Yes the VTRO is on the lanes between Shrewton, Tilshead and Chitterne. Essentially, out by the German Village.
No signage though which is a bit frustrating, because how are people going to know?
The rest of it was open over xmas though.

#12 ·
I would not be surprised to see wide scale road charging schemes in place within 20 years anyway because IF electric or hybrid use takes off then HMRC will suffer a significant fall in fuel duty. Not easy to apply fuel duty to an EV so seems fair to switch to a pay for use scenario?

Once that technology is in widespread use on public roads it will be cheaper and easier to apply to ROW's?

#15 ·
We lost 90% of the so called green lanes in 2000 with the NERC bill, sponsored by the handful of exceedingly wealthy individuals who own most of England.

The councils have resorted to TROs as they don't have the power to close the byways, claiming that they don't have the funds to repair them. They never maintained them anyway.

Personally, apart from Salisbury plain, I haven't used a byway for over a decade. If I want to do some off roading I go pay and play.

The anti 4x4 lobbyists have pretty much won.

#18 · (Edited by Moderator)
I don't need anyones permission to use a BOAT therefor its not private land, it may cross your land, but so what? You just have to keep it passable, as in don't obstruct it on purpose. If you do obstruct it, I have the right to move the obstruction to allow me to pass, it or go around it. My vehicle has to be road worthy, taxed and tested, as if on the queens highway. If, as has happened here trees fall across the path, I call the council to clear it. Now I don't know who ends up clearing it in the end, it may well be a land owner. But ultimately, its a PUBLIC right of way.

#19 ·
In fact why do the councils slap TROs on them if they run over private land and its not their responsibility? Why are there ROW officers in the council? I would agree the land either side of a byway is more than likely private. As in the case of the plain. But ultimately the byway is public.

#21 ·
Can we keep it friendly please?

In fact, some unsurfaced rights of way are in public ownership and some are not.

Even weirder, those in the Midlands might know of Packington Ford, a river crossing a few minutes from Birmingham. The land owner managed to get it closed, and since he owned the land on either side, he managed to get it converted from a public right of way to his own property.

Try that in your cul de sac.. might you it helps if your name starts with Lord not Mr

#22 ·
Lord or Mr. makes no difference he still owned the land that the right of way went over. Just because its a right of way it does not give people the right to do with it what they like in the way of damage . Try going and screwing up an access you share with somebody. My argument is not with people using them but the damage that is done ,I concede not by every one but when you get a whole group of 4x4s turn up with MTs on in the middle of winter damage is done and often makes it impassable to other users. They then drive away and its of no consequence to them as they often have driven from miles away. These routes were set up years ago for local use long before the vehicles of today were ever thought about. Years ago locals using the routes would never have used them if the conditions were not right as they knew they needed that route on a regular basis. Ask yourselves would those routes be created in this day for the purpose of recreational 4x4 driving? Im afraid the attitude as exhibited of I will do as I like because I can is the exact reason they are being closed . The councils are not blind to the damage and have huge opposition from the horse riders and cyclist who use these routes as they push for the bans. At the end of the day using these routes when it is unsuitable and making them muddy wet holes (Which to many is the 'Fun') makes the 4x4 drivers using them their own worse enemy as then everybody else who uses it is on your case. Im sorry if these views upset a few and I hope most can see the logic of it . I am in no way looking for a fight and we welcome all users onto our rights of ways however the land owner and other users should be equally respected.

#24 ·
I'd agree with pretty much everything you said popsdosh, other than the reference to MT's. I guess it depends on the vehicle, the skill of the driver and the terrain but I found that my Series Land Rover on MT's (yokohama mud diggers or BFG KM2) could drive over wet grass with virtually no trace of its passage whereas on AT's they would be quite easy to spin up and break the surface. However I'm a very careful driver and used to green lane for the scenery, to find remote picnic places and to find remote areas to get out and have a walk. I was not out for the sole purpose of challenging myself or my vehicle. Not only did I not have a winch but rarely carried any recovery equipment, my philosophy being that if a stock Land Rover couldn't drive it then it should not be driven. If I wanted to challenge myself or vehicle I had plenty of opportunity as I used to attend RTV trials most weekends or go to P&P sites.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.