Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wouldn't advise anyone to buy an Aventura Euro 4 unless you can test drive the one you are actually buying.
I have bought a new one, Late Nov 07. It has a werring noise when I put my foot on the clutch (Worse when changing up) After the dealership had had it for over 9 weeks looking in to it and replacing various parts without sucess, Nissan inspected it and said it is a characteristic of the model, not detrimental and that I should expect it from a commercial vehicle.
If this is a characteristic, I don't believe I will be able to sell it for what it is worth. I can see few potential buyers believing that it is not a major gearbox and/or clutch fault. And I feel the noise is uncomfortable enough to make me want to sell it.
If you have bought one with the noise please consider rejecting it stright away. Do not let your dealership put spanner to vehicle as this will complicate the whole rejection process and take forever. (I've owned mine for 10 weeks but have only had it for the first 5 days. It would have been less only the Dealership couldn't book it in. Nissan seem be very blase about the whole issue.
Please be cautious.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Colin,
The car has a 3 year warrantly which is quite a while. I'd suggest that although it is very annoying / disappointing, if it is a duff or dying component, it will expire quickly and force a replacement..

I would have seriously spat the dummy if faced with a nine week wait and got Trading Standards involved.

"Commercial Vehicle" has got nothing to do with it IMHO. If they were aiming purely at the commercial market, why fit Sat Nav / Leather / etc etc....

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dunc.
I think that if it is not resolved in the next fortnight I will involve Trading standards.
Regards
Colin

·
Registered
79 Posts
Newbie here! Just trying to sort out a deal on an Aventura at the moment... part ex-ing a 350z!

Interested to read about the change in spec for Euro4. Have there been any reviews of the 'new' model, as obviously most of the info out there is about the 171bhp version?

Interesting that Nissan don't seem to be making a huge noise about the change...

·
Registered
257 Posts
The changes can't be that bad as the Nav won the 4x4 magazine pickup of the year award although it appears that they were using an 06 plate model for the test.

The changes aren't big a slight loss in power Bhp that you wouldn't notice as there is so much torque and a reduced mpg but road tax is cheaper.

I would gladly drive both.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I was thinking about this surely the less mpg would cost more than the extra road tax over the year if you do a few miles :?:

·
Registered
257 Posts
The road tax on euro 4 Nav is £110 and non euro 4 is £176 so that's a £66 saving.

Fuel consumption on the euro 4 is 28mpg and 32 mpg on the older model.

All figs are approx and depends on your driving style.

Deisel based on 96p per litre or £4.37 per gallon means that you can buy an extra 15.10 gallons for the Euro 4 model which equates to 422 miles @ 28mpg.

By my calculations you would have to do just under 3500 miles per annum to be worse off buying a Euro 4 model.

3500 miles/32 mpg = 109.37 gallons x £4.37 =£477.96 spent on fuel
3500 miles/28 mpg = 125 gallons x £4.37 = £546.25 - £66 tax=£480 spent on fuel.

So the power reduction isn't really the issue it's the mpg that will cost you more in the long run.

Maybe the non Euro 4 models will hold their value better due to the better fuel consumption,power and weight carrying.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've been told you won't have to pay the CC charge in London next year if you drive a Euro 4. I go in to London 2-4 times a week thats £16-£32 per week I will save. Add that to the calc and Euro 4 works out a winner alround. Shame old Ken Livingstone don't run the whole country cos we Euro 4 drivers would save a fortune. Ha Ha. Basta8d. :lol:

·
Registered
257 Posts
That means everyone who doesn't drive in London, probably 75% of the population will be better off with the non euro 4 assuming the old Gordon doesn't take a flakey and increase the road tax for non complaint models.

Interesting thing, I just got my road tax renewal in for my old Clio 172 and it's £190 ouch!!

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Well mines a Euro4 Outlaw and I'm more than happy with it.

With around 2000 miles on it I did a trip of approx 450 miles in one day 99% motorway and my fuel consumption worked out at circa 35mpg.
I would regularly get 30+mpg .

However, since its been really cold my mpg has dropped to 25 ish, but that could be partly due to short stop start urban journeys and leaving the engine running to warm up the cab all the time.

Overall I can see that long term the dealers will say non Euro4 vehicles are worth less at trade in time and the way things are going with the government, Euro4 owners will end up with an even bigger tax saving!

Bob

·
Registered
257 Posts
Couldn't agree more Bob.

With most dealers being robbing [email protected]$ds they would use any excuse to give less for a trade in.

I would be more than happy with either.

With road tax for ever changing and the study into taxing per mile travelled you never know where you are.

That's before you take into account the fluctuation in fuel prices.

I would say that it is the fuel price which will ultimately make a bigger difference to most users as it's doubtful that it will ever decrease and the dearer it gets the more beneficial it would be to a non euro 4 model due to the higher mpg offered.

Then again it all depends on your driving style and type of road/congestion encountered.

A careful driver of a euro 4 model could probably get the extra mpg that was lost during the update of the model where as a heavy footed driver of the non euro 4 model would get less than the advertised mpg. That's if you believe the actual mpg stated for both versions.

Horses for courses :wink:

·
Registered
10 Posts
euro 4

hi still waiting for mine but have been reading this topic what about the tuning boxes would they be able to get the later d40 back to better mpg gordon

·
Registered
257 Posts
I'm not so sure that a tuning box would help that much but someone else may be able to enlighten you.

The other option is to find out what was actually changed and remove/replace it.

I believe that some sort of partical filter was introduced into the exhaust to reduce fumes, so it should be able to be removed until it comes around to the M.O.T and then replace it back.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well it's now 5 days with me and 10 weeks with the dealership for my new Aventura. I was hoping the general manager was going to ring me and sing 'happy birthday, 10 weeks in today'. But no luck there either. He rang and asked me to return the loan car :lol:
Is there no one out there who owns an Aventura Euro 4 who has this 'characteristic' of a werring noise when putting the clutch in? Oh by the way I heard today that a 'characteristic of a model' should be recorded somewhere by the manufacturers for it to be classed as an acceptable characteristic. Could this be true and does it mean you can ask to see the report/record? Interesting if right for all us owners of vehicles with 'characteristic' noises. :evil:

·
Registered
566 Posts
Colin,
I guess that you are refusing to accept the car. If that is the case and it is parked at the Dealers, any "dodgy" components are not going to get used and therefore fail...

It would appear that Nissan are waiting for something to develop to further fault find.. If it don't get used, the stale-mate will continue until your warranty expires and then you are snookered.

Personally, I'd take the car and drive it like normal to see how it goes. Meanwhile you can continue polling other D40 owners to get more information.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I would tend to agree with Dunc on this one.

I have had issue in the past where I had a new cylinder head fitted to a brand new car with 500 miles on it due to a leak.

It was probably only the head gasket that went but they replaced the cylider head anyway. I wasn't happy with this and told them that I wanted a replacement new car.

As soon as you let them put spanner to the work your stuffed and even contacting trading standards/consumer advice wasn't any help.

I eventually gave up and got 500 business cards printed which said the dealer and manufacturer sucked.

These were then placed on every car I could find at the dealership and anywhere else I could find.

The car was fine and I had it for 4 years without any hassle.

If it's a major component that is on it's way out or not within manufacturing tolerance then it will eventually go and it would be better for it to go within the warranty period.

My first impression of the sound would be that it is the clutch release bearing, but I'm no mechanic.

It may be that as the truck is basically new and you've only had it for 5 days the sound may eventually disappear once things start to bed in.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi Guys
Thanks for the advice. My Brother an I bought one each of these. His has the same fault. He has reported his one to the dealership but held on to it to wait and see what happend with mine. He has now done over 2000 miles and the noise is still there. We spoke to an RAC solicitor who advised that he has an independent look at it and and write out a report, but before doing this test drive as many Aventura Euro 4s as poss to see if they have the fault. If they have, he said to forget it and go for the warrenty angle if the part fails. If we are proved right he advised that my Brother gets his back to the dealer ASAP. He advised me to leave mine there.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
To all who gave me advice.
Thank you all very much, I really have appreciated it. It has helped me no end.
I will keep you posted as to what happens and hopefully my experience will help others who finds them selves in similar situations.

As a clever young lad said on the television last night: 'If your drive is for perfection, your attemps can only be conducted within a frame of imperfection'. I think we all find ourselves within that frame on occasions and we just gota do the best we can. :)

Colin.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Whirring sound

Colin, I drove the demo manual at my local dealers and that had a whirring noise just as you put your foot on the clutch to change up into the next gear. The speed of the whirring slows as the engine slows, so it must be to do with the clutch and not the gearbox. It is not an attractive sound and is more in line with a noise that you would expect from a vehicle with a much smaller engine. I had a 2.2 turbo diesel espace a few years ago which I bought new and that made exactly the same noise. I am pretty sure it is to do with the clutch thrust bearing, and although the noise is not what you want, it is not really very loud and in the espace never got any worse, or went away. It is a shame it is there as it is not what you expect from what is a large meaty truck. I have put down a depo on an advantura and I hope the one I get will not be too loud. I pick it up 1st June.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts