Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi had my truck 2 weeks and enjoying everything about it except the throttle response . Its slow on the uptake ie push accelerator down then down then it picks up is there any one else that feels this and has anyone got a fix rgds mark

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
In the auto this is a common first impression I once shared.

I don’t think it’s objectively true, or perhaps the gearbox gets better with time and learning, but the loud engine huffing and puffing on initial acceleration doesn’t seem to match your road speed, which is where the impression is born.

There are aftermarket devices like the iDrive that claim to address this, but Nissan are tighter than a Scotsman’s wallet in warranty claims, so i would 10/10 not recommend this.

·
Registered
362 Posts
As above apart from the opposite recommendation....

I would 100% recommend you get the idrive. Totally transforms the drive of the truck. It’s so good I have removed my tuning box. The truck now runs stock apart from the idrive.
In ultimate 9 mode you can get it to spin it’s wheels when pulling away. The throttle is so sharp in that mode. I often turn mine off just to see how amazingly sluggish the throttle is from the factory.

As for warranty, it’s plug and play in around 60 seconds! The first time you install it takes a while as the plug on the pedal is fiddly but after couple of times it takes seconds. So removing it for dealer visits is easy.

I run mine in ultimate 7 or the auto mode which cleverly adapts to your inputs, in the wet I run it in ultimate 5 or so as it’s too aggressive on wet roads...get one it’s literally a no brainier. :)

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
As above apart from the opposite recommendation....

I would 100% recommend you get the idrive. Totally transforms the drive of the truck. It’s so good I have removed my tuning box. The truck now runs stock apart from the idrive.

In ultimate 9 mode you can get it to spin it’s wheels when pulling away. The throttle is so sharp in that mode. I often turn mine off just to see how amazingly sluggish the throttle is from the factory.

As for warranty, it’s plug and play in around 60 seconds! The first time you install it takes a while as the plug on the pedal is fiddly but after couple of times it takes seconds. So removing it for dealer visits is easy.

I run mine in ultimate 7 or the auto mode which cleverly adapts to your inputs, in the wet I run it in ultimate 5 or so as it’s too aggressive on wet roads...get one it’s literally a no brainier. :)

It’s good gear, I just worry how Nissan Oz would view it. Maybe when I’m out of warranty... in 2021...

(Although in stock trim on BFGs in a straight line on wet tarmac, I have no trouble getting wheel spin in first, then second, then third, as I pull out of my neighbourhood onto the high speed B road. All handled beautifully by the ESC of course.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for replies always good to discuss for and against i will now look into the idrive and is it available in the uk as its plug and play i wouldnt mind trying it based on your findings rgs mark

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Thanks for replies always good to discuss for and against i will now look into the idrive and is it available in the uk as its plug and play i wouldnt mind trying it based on your findings rgs mark

Yes it is. Several results if you google “iDrive throttle controller NP300 site:.uk”, and not all of them are eBay

·
Registered
362 Posts
I should add I’m auto and it makes a huge difference.
Not sure if the manual will be as transformative?

As for warranty... how on earth would they ever know? As I say it can be removed in seconds without any trace of it ever being there.

I imported mine and paid duty.... worked out around the £150 mark all in.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
I should add I’m auto and it makes a huge difference.

Not sure if the manual will be as transformative?

As for warranty... how on earth would they ever know? As I say it can be removed in seconds without any trace of it ever being there.

I imported mine and paid duty.... worked out around the £150 mark all in.

Unsure about iDrive, but I understand that certain other black box adjustments are noted and recorded in the vehicle computer, even if subsequently removed.

That may be an urban legend.

I’ve never felt unhappy enough with the factory product to find out.

·
Administrator
13,317 Posts
It has been discussed quite a lot on here, a fairly large turbo diesel engine with a large turbo will always take a bit of time to wind up the power if you are sitting at the traffic lights with the engine at idle.

In a manual, you can dip the clutch to get the revs up before engaging. Not as easy in an automatic.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Another vote for iDrive, i got mine last week after it shipped from Australia. Only took 10 mins to install, and instant transformation. Using U4 at present which is significantly better than stock whilst not too agressive. Went back to U3 on the icey mornings just to be on safe side. Think it vastly improves the automatic response and definitely adds to driving enjoyment. Would recommend it, and an extra gadget to mess around with when mood takes you :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
How so these idrive throttle controllers get classified from an insurance perspective? I can imagine all sorts of confusion with them being a "tuning box" but with no power gain maybe? :unsure:

·
Administrator
13,317 Posts
If you had an accident and the pedal box was deemed to have been the cause, then the insurance company could reject the claim.

The same might apply if you fitted fog lamps, go faster stickers or furry dice. (However unlikely they are to cause an accident)

So you should inform the insurance company. I suspect most people don't.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yes I agree, just wondering if it's a common or well recognised modification? I guess you could call it a tuning box, it is tuning the throttle response afterall

·
Registered
362 Posts
Utterly ridiculous to even consider mentioning it to an insurance company.

They will have no clue what it is and will load your policy regardless. Why be so honest with them when the opposite does not apply. They will do anything they can to not pay out a claim regardless of any modification.

I have a family member who works in the industry and it’s almost laughable what they will do to avoid pay out. people in the U.K. view insurance as a service. It is not. It is a legal requirement and that is all. They will offer you no service and are solely there to make money. No one reads through all the small print and there are things in there that are way more worrying than adding a throttle adapter. Let’s also not forget it has an off road setting that will further retard the throttle response so it isn’t all about adding performance.

Are you required to declare it?........yes.
should you declare it?......... that’s up to the individual.....I did not and nor will I ever again should I buy another.

rant over lol.....

as regards the pedal box.... I could remove mine in literally 60 seconds. Unless I died in the car accident (in which case it wouldn’t matter) I would like to think I could remove it before an insurance assessor could get anywhere near the vehicle.

it was literally the best modification I ever made to the Nissan. Far better than a remap or a tuning box. (I have remapped or tuned everything I’ve owned for the last 20 years including the np300).

I wouldn’t hesitate to get another idrive if I had the same poor throttle response in another vehicle. Thankfully the ford custom I now have doesn’t suffer from lag at all..... if it did I would buy another idrive. I cannot speak highly enough of them. Totally transformed the drive and you could choose the level of sharpness according to your requirements.... great for towing, stuck in traffic, off road or pressing on. The stock throttle map is a “one size fits all” solution and is way too slow to respond to input. Not until you have one of these do you realise how bad it is in stock form.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks for the reply, I have to disagree with one bit in particular though...

The stock throttle map is a “one size fits all”........i would say in the Navara's case "one size fits none" :D

Sometimes it astounds me how poor the throttle response is, it caught a friend of mine out pulling out onto a roundabout....the 1 second delay left him in a bit of a precarious spot! :rolleyes: I'm used to it now and it just seems normal but would love to improve it.

Is this the same thing for sale here, seems cheaper than people have been talking about:

Probably has incorrect connectors for us but if the unit looks the same as what you had I'll get on touch with them and ask about connectors.

Thanks
Dan

·
Registered
128 Posts
I purchased the windbooster I Drive from Australia through eBay it worked out £130 with all taxes and has specific electrical connectors for the Navara. The system connected is electrically the same as selecting sport mode in other vehicles and has transformed the way my Navara drives. I only have it set halfway on the second level as I want my rear tyres to last. ?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Hi Dan,

Yes that is the drive controller. You do however need the exact model for each vehicle. The Nissan connector is a right PITA too!

I totally agree with one size fits none!

The lag is woeful. This sorts it out....please get one.... you won't regret it I promise!

:)

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Navara D23 NP300
84 Posts
iDrive is definitely a must have. I also turn mine off occasionally to get a reminder of how it is without it haha.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts