Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Advice / Experiences required...

It's coming to that time when I will be considering chopping in my 53 D22 for a D40 perhaps.

The experiences on this forum seem to be reasonably favourable about the D40 on the whole, however on other sites like 'what car' 'AA' other 4x4 forums etc the feedback on the D40 is dreadful.

Problems with rear axles / half shafts / bonnet catches / paint and build quality / heater bearings and most of all clutch problems.
I know some of these are recalls but there is a suggestion on some sites that Nissan are covering up a design fault in the clutch mechanism of the D40 and a general failure to accept warranty claims.Some clutches going after 2000miles / 4000miles and even 10miles :?

I know being the type of people we are we tend to only feedback on these sites when we have a problem and need to complain so i might not be getting a balanced picture :roll: .
So to end a rather long winded post 'sorry' can anyone provide me with warts and all experiences of their D40.
Any comments / experiences from those who are in the 'trade' would be good.

Ta

·
Premium Member
1,445 Posts
Buy a Auto ;)

A 06 plate

No recals, no clutch :) Im not gloating at all, just lucky mine was delayed for so long its build number didnt fall into the earlier ones that have been recalled.

Build quality is great,

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hadn't considered an auto....but might now :wink:

What's the auto box like offroad :?:
One of the advantages of the manual is that you can put it into 2nd gear and roll it out of most stuff...

Cheers

G

·
i've got an auto **** and its such a pleasure to drive, with auto lights , auto windscreen wipers ,and cruise control , all you have to do is steer..

brian, do you have a clunk when selecting reverse on your truck?

·
Registered
20 Posts
One of main points about off-roading with an Auto is the Low Ratio Gear 1 is not usually low enough for really steep descents. However, nowadays this is not so much of a problem because of all the electrical trickery on the brakes - I am not talking about hill descent stuff just ABS and EBD...

The other problem I think is that you cannot lock it in second or top (I may be wrong) i.e. no Hold function. This can help sometimes, but the low ratio and the rear diff lock (especially when I was stuck in the sticky stuff) should be more than adequate.

However I never had a problem with my Automatics offroad, though I would think coming down really LONG steep hills would be interesting. Of course if there are other less experienced (panicky) drivers off road then an Auto can help them drive better in the rough stuff.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
It would appear that most of the problems are related to earlier production D40's so NEW D40's shouldn't be a problem.

I have '56 plate D40 DC Outlaw with the manual 6 speed 'box and think its brilliant :mrgreen:
So far its taken everything I've thrown at it without faulter be it on or off road driving.

Bob - Hoping he's not just jinxed himself :roll:

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
scarey said:
also ,how many times are you going to go off road in your brand new truck..(except for brian.. :D )

Errm . . . at every opportunity!
(Though Not to Brians degree)
It's got more chance of getting a few marks on it from trolley tarts in the supermarket car parks, so I may as well have fun with it off road and take the risk :)

Bob

·
Registered
279 Posts
i have a 06 Manual Aventura got it a couple of months ago and has now done7500 miles with no issues.
the only problem i thought i had (which was another drivers fault) was slight judder from slipping the clutch on a very steep hill in wales. but that seems to have sorted it's self out now.
cannot comment about off road as living in northampton there are no oppertunities that i know of.
overall so far i am really impressed with the truck but the dealers are a waste of time and have no regard for there customers.
i think as with all ne models there are teething issues but so far mine has escaped them.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies so far.

Scarey, whatever I change the D22 for will be off road quite a lot...almost every week. It will get used on Search and Rescue shouts as well as safety covers and events and needs to cope with open moorland / fellside as well as forests etc.

The D22 has equipped itself well, also doubling up as a family vehicle when I am not on the motorbike.

As I will be looking to change at the end of January I will be probably be looking for a low mileage 56 plate, with teething problems sorted :wink:

So far it certainly looks as if the 06 model onwards is more sorted.

Another question...what is the Euro4 model mentioned in other threads (is it a sop to european emmission laws) and when is it available?

Cheers

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Mine is a Euro 4 model, 1st Reg'd 29th September 2006.

Don't know what the physical changes are (propbably another cat) but it reduces the road tax down to £110 for 12 months but the power is reportably down to 171 although you wouldn't know the difference.

So if you're buying a used 56 plate Navara, make sure its a Euro 4 and you'll save yourelf £70 each year!

Bob

Not done serious off roading, mainly farm tracks, farmers fields, a quarry and various other stuff.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cheers Bob

That's worth knowing.
I am not really bothered about the few extra horses and £70 a year saving is good news.

·
Premium Member
1,445 Posts
Ducktape said:
Hadn't considered an auto....but might now :wink:

What's the auto box like offroad :?:
One of the advantages of the manual is that you can put it into 2nd gear and roll it out of most stuff...

Cheers

I looked deep into auto box, and the Navara Auto Box is Brilliant !!!

So much Torque and is very quick :)

Its fantastic off road, i really cant compliment the auto box more :)

·
Premium Member
1,445 Posts
scarey said:
i've got an auto **** and its such a pleasure to drive, with auto lights , auto windscreen wipers ,and cruise control , all you have to do is steer..

brian, do you have a clunk when selecting reverse on your truck?
nope no clunk

·
Premium Member
1,445 Posts
scarey said:
also ,how many times are you going to go off road in your brand new truck..(except for brian.. :D )
to be honest i don't use low off roading i stick it in 1st ( auto ) and off it goes

i have many land rover owners comment " what gear you got it in " ?

And i say 1st, its all just so good, :)

·
Premium Member
1,445 Posts
Euro 4 has a bit lower BHP but don't know if the Torque is down ???
to add all the recalls will have been sorted by now :)

if you are not sure phone the dealer with the build number and they will tell you about the recalls on that number :)

its a WIN WIN situation :)

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Cheers Brian

I think I am being slowly convinced about getting a 56 D40.
Have checked on the VOSA and AA sites for build numbers re: recalls.

Cheers

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hi duck tape
From what i have read on forums most of the problems have been with the early models....I have a 09/05 V6 auto and haven't had any major problems apart from a few recalls the only other problem i have had is a couple of rattles in the dash which i fixed myself.
For off roading the manuals low range compression breaking cant be beat but the auto manages quite alright with a little skill.......the worst part is when the ABS kicks in on dirt roads, when you dont want it to.

You'll want a lift which is pretty limited to about 50mm other wise you will be scraping the chassis and bigger tyres will help to. 16" rims will give you better choice on tyres.

I think it has its limitations for hard core off roading, but with some after market parts and a bit of know how it will be adequate.

As far as general touring and light to medium off roading its brilliant and most 4x4 magazines rate it highly.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts