Nissan-Navara.net banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
ive tinted every vehicle ive had, the fronts can have a lesser tint on, the rears can be as dark as you like, ive tended to go darker than is legal without any unwanted attention from Dibble,

it looks often depends on the cars colour or interior colour,

a decent company will fill you in, if your near west yorkshire i can recommend a guy.

·
Registered
29 Posts

this is a very dark rear tint and a slightly lighter front, because the cars black it hardly looks differant .

its draded in percents, but i cant remember which is darker :oops: 15% or 50 % [/img]

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Harvey

Across the pond here in Northern Ireland.
It's just that the Navara tinting looks a bit weird from the outside - back doors and rear window look cool but the front doors look unfinished - I know they're tinted a certain amount but would like them to match the back.

Would it be legal if they looked dark but were actually a certaain % lighter if you know what I mean?

C

G

·
i googled and found this on a site ......

Window Tints

As of January 1st 2004, new legislation was brought in that prohibits window tinting.

The Law:

You are not allowed to tint your windscreen or front windows AT ALL. Anything forward of the B pillar (middle of the car) MUST NOT be tinted in anyway. You are however still allowed to perform any level of tinting on your back windows.

If you've tinted you windows before January that does not mean that you are safe, if the police believe that your tint causes reduced visibility they can issue you with an order to have it removed.

Why was this law brought in?

The reason this law was introduced was that there was a serious accident between a motorbike and a heavily modified car with very dark tints. It was believed that the root cause of the accident was that the driver couldn't see well enough through his tinted windows.

so it looks like tinting the front windows is a no no......

·
Registered
29 Posts
i may be wrong but the accident in question happened because the car had limo tints on every window, :? and its used as an excuse,

looking from inside out with a semi tint makes little differance, and i know a police traffic cop who told me the law was enforced to stop people using mobile phones, cos the pigs / sorry police couldnt see them.

darken the rears, put a semi tint on the front and it will appear darker, and give you the look you want, without endagering any lives :roll:

and ive never been failed an mot , and ive been pulled over and not had the tints mentioned,

allthough on the evo site i used to frequent, one guys wife got pulled in a chrysler people carrier, the officer followed her to a garage to have the tints taken off, ( you can just guess the type of copper this c### was) when they got there the garage said they couldnt remove the tints because they were actually tinted glass, fitted at the factory not a after market film, copper appparently tried to impound the car, ( complete t055er) till his co told him to leave it and go arrest some speeders :D

·
Registered
81 Posts
I am hoping to get my windows done after the Xmas break. I am having the rears and back a "dark smoke" and the front "light smoke". As stated above because the rears are blocking most of the incoming light the fronts appear darker! Also having a top screen tint makes them look darker too!
Not sure how true this bit is but have been told that a loop hole to get through MOT with front tints is to take your vehicle in with the windows wound down!!!! :shock: Window operation is not checked apparently!!

·
Registered
566 Posts
There is nothing in the MOT about checking to see if windows are tinted. The cops have a little black box which can measure the level of tint on the windows. They can then charge you (not sure what the offence is) and take you to court. The judge then has to pass sentence.

In borderline visibility situations, when some folk have headlights on and some don't you often see drivers with tinted from windows at junctions with the front ones down just so they can see better ! :x

Some laws are fair enough... and the rules for tinted glass are one of them IMHO.

·
Registered
51 Posts
tints

If they say it impares vision wouldnt sunglasses do the same thing, they prob ban them next. lol
i got caught last year when i had a corsa, pulled me over got his little gadget out and tested my window, just got a £30 fine and told to take them off. still hasnt stopped me tinting my navara though.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
scarey said:
Why was this law brought in?

The reason this law was introduced was that there was a serious accident between a motorbike and a heavily modified car with very dark tints. It was believed that the root cause of the accident was that the driver couldn't see well enough through his tinted windows.
Biker probably doing 100mph+

·
Registered
566 Posts
Todays broad sweeping comment - "Those of you who can take such a flipant or wreckless attitude have probably never ridden a bike for any length of time on a public road".

I thought I was a fairly considerate and observant car driver until I bought a big bike - Even just tootling through town, headlight on, hi vis jacket, appropriate speed (below the limit), it was amazing how many vehicle drivers just pull out of junctions - either because they didn't see me or they believed that bike riders were a lower form of life...

I then learnt to never take anything for granted - I always have fingers hovering over the brake lever when I'm approaching emerging traffic now - Tinted windows possibly mean the driver of the car can't see you but it also makes it a hell of a lot harder for you to gain any signs from him, that he has seen you!

Tarring bikers with the "They are all wreckless 100+ riders" is like saying all 4x4 drivers are on the school run in a Chelsea Tractor....

·
Registered
29 Posts
att said:
Getting your forward side windows tinted is pathetic.
The law is there for a reason, to protect other road users.
You are wankers. :roll:

And before you start, yes, I would call you that to your posey little scrunched up faces.
ive had bikes before, quite a few to be honest and ive had 2 bad accidents, both of which were caused by bad driving form the cars that pulled out on me :x , having tinted front windows is as much a cause for concern as bikers wearing tinted visors, and less of a worry than

mothers with screaming kids in the back,
kids in novas with ***** brakes popped up on eees,
oaps driving around without a clue wat day or year it is,
arguing couples screaming at each other,
people eating or drinking coffee whislt driving,
nobs in fast cars without a clue how to drive properly
people on the phone whilst driving,

etc etc etc etc , if your concern and abuse is directed at people with tinted windows because you are a concerned biker, good for you , but look around fatty :wink: there are a million other things out there that make the roads unsafe for bikers , and in my 30 years of driving the most dangerous things ive ever seen or done have been as a biker.

and tell me the truth ?? have you never choked your own chicken
:) , must be the only man alive if you aint. :wink:

·
Registered
202 Posts
You cannot see what is coming down the road at a junction through side tinted windows at night time.....Fact.
I have my rears tinted and have to square up to 90 degrees at such junctions, to tint all side windows is just plain dangerous.

You do not need tinted visors anymore, you just need to buy a Caberg helmet.

I have severel bikes that I ride, all have different characteristics and road presence, some for nutty days and some for ordered and totally legal riding days.

I have been knocked off several times, the last time was in Belguim and on purpose by a Dutch driver, he admitted it :roll:

We just don`t need tinted windows to make conditions worse, I am already tempted to adjust all my numberplates and carry a small handgun to dish out my own form of justice on the roads, the last accident I had in the UK, I had to threaten the Police(Chief Constable) with legal action in order for them to prosecute the driver :roll:
This care less attitude is seriously pissing me off, it is my life on the line.

·
Premium Member
1,445 Posts
Ive also had many bijes in the past, if i knew the roads i would always, slow down while going round bends, i know it sounds stupid, but bikes are far faster than cars.

Its so easy to pull out infront of a bike by accident, ive seen many close misses, when a bike comes sailing round a corner, knee down, and the car nearly pulls out.

ITs always a heart stopping moment as its so easily done.

SO to sum up mu comment.

Some Bikers go too fast
Dark Tints are a No No in my book, as you cant see out at night

I also see many silly bikers who drive with No headlight on !!!

ITs like a Suicide mission to drive a bike without your headlight on, in fact i got so fed up with motorists fulling out in front of me i drove with high beam on all the time !!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.