Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where to find the weight of my vehicle? It's a navara d22 2004, I need it to find out if I can tow a horse box or need to take a towing test thanks

·
Premium Member
15,733 Posts
This will help; https://www.gov.uk/towing-with-car

Your Navara will be about the 2 tonne, the specific weight you need to know is the 'kerbside weight' it should be in your handbook under specifications.

The horse box weight that matters is the 'Maximum gross' weight. This is likely over 1.5 tonnes.

The safe answer to your question is yes, you will need the trailer test.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
How much roughly is the trailer test?

·
Registered
621 Posts
Hi,
Have a look on your driving licence for category BE if you have that then you are legally allowed to tow a trailor with a gross weight in excess of 750kg.
if you do not have BE then you need trailer test.
Hope this helps
Paul.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
do you have a canopy fitted? any other extras fitted? what horsebox and what size horse?

all these are things you need to work out. if the kerb weight is around 2 ton, by the time its loaded up with people and horse stuff, tank of diesel etc looking towards 2.4?? ifor Williams HB510 is around about 1000kg empty, this puts gross train weight to 3.4 and that's without putting anything in the trailer.

I think you will be very lucky to come in under 3.5ton with a navara and horse box.

(please note above is estimates and guesstimates) :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys think I will need to take the test unfortunately when loaded with the horse atleast, due to him being a big chunky cob the girlfriends mate reckon he is atleast half a ton.
I will be finding out the weight of the trailer tomorrow so I'm hoping I'll be under weight with it so I can at least practice around the roads with it before the tests :-s

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
you can practice on the roads even with the horse. so long as you have L plates and someone who holds the license entitlement for B+E or greater :awesomework

and yeah I would say our chunky cob, all be him short, be around the 450kg mark :)

·
Registered
211 Posts
Probably teaching you to suck eggs, but you can get an equestrian tape measure that will give a good estimate of the Neddies weight. We've just used one to calculate wormer/feed requirements

·
Registered
214 Posts
Just to be pedantic (from some one going through trailer testing currently) it's the potential gross weight of your vehicle and trailer that matter. I found out I was illegal even if I towed empty.

Josh X

P.S recommend training it's a tough test

·
Registered
80 Posts
Just to add my comment in:

I wouldn't worry about the weight of the vehicle specifically if all your asking is whether you need to do the trailer test or not...

Basically my view of the law is; if the trailer you intend to tow has the capability of a load of more than 750kg. (Basically if it has brakes its over 750kg) You will need the B+E entitlement to pull it.

It does not matter if you only put 50kg in the trailer, its all about what the trailer can carry and that can be found on the trailer plate.

So post 1997 if you only have a B licence, you can only legally pull a silly little camping trailer on wheel barrow wheels.

·
Registered
56 Posts
On a B class license you can tow up to 750kg without any other considerations. Over that you can tow with a maximum train weight of 3500kg (the combined gross weight of both vehicle and trailer), where the gross weight of the trailer is less than the unladen weight of the vehicle.

·
Administrator
13,111 Posts
Just to add my comment in:

I wouldn't worry about the weight of the vehicle specifically if all your asking is whether you need to do the trailer test or not...

Basically my view of the law is; if the trailer you intend to tow has the capability of a load of more than 750kg. (Basically if it has brakes its over 750kg) You will need the B+E entitlement to pull it.

It does not matter if you only put 50kg in the trailer, its all about what the trailer can carry and that can be found on the trailer plate.

So post 1997 if you only have a B licence, you can only legally pull a silly little camping trailer on wheel barrow wheels.
True.
It is a different story for say, a Mondeo estate, but valid for a pickup.

·
Registered
80 Posts
True.
It is a different story for say, a Mondeo estate, but valid for a pickup.
Too true! I have my license so I'm alright to tow but the Nav for example can only pull 2700kg or thereabouts but matey boy down the road with his mondeo estate (true story) can pull an ifor plated at 3500 and not get pulled!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts