Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a large 26 foot twin axle caravan weighing in around 1800kgs. My auto D40 tows it fine but I often feel it searching for a gear between 2nd and 3rd when going up hill. 2nd revs the engine far too high and 3rd almost feels like it is going to stall. I feel the engine is good enough but the 5 speed gearbox is awful. I never had this problem with my first D40 but then I had a caravan weighing around 1300kgs so it's hard to compare.

I am just about to buy a new np300 auto and really hope that it doesn't perform in the same manner. I understand that it has a far better 7 speed gearbox that can make the whole difference, but would love to hear from those that have towed heavy weights with the D40 2.5 auto and then changed to the np300 auto.
Would also like to hear from those that tow heavy weights with the np300 that have not had the D40 just so I have an understanding of how it performs.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
161 Posts
My Caravan is around 1700kg and the auto towing it great, does have any problems towed around 2000miles at the moment and get 25-27 mpg on most towing unless all uphill then drops to 22

·
Administrator
2,364 Posts
Worth noting although the NP300 auto has seven speeds, two of them are overdrive and 5th is 1:1.

I don't think I've ever been in 7th.

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Took the caravan out this week and I was very happy with the way the new truck pulled. Much better than my D40 with the extra torque low down, but overall pleased.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Took the caravan out this week and I was very happy with the way the new truck pulled. Much better than my D40 with the extra torque low down, but overall pleased.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts