Nissan-Navara.net banner

Travelling in France - Maps and Vets, and God knows what else!

3K views 33 replies 6 participants last post by  duffs54 
#1 ·
Tried search but found nowt....

Hi, Planning our first French caravan holiday in September this year. We're doing a week in Brittany, Normandy, Vendee and back up to Calais (vet appointment etc)
Going via Euro tunnel.
We have sat nav in our vehicle, I also have a newish TomTom which we intend to take.
Is there a recommended road atlas we could consider?
Something along the lines of the Michelin guide or at least one that shows narrow roads, low bridges and other non-caravan friendly stuff?
I was considering buying Co-Pilot for our android tablet until I read the dreadful reviews about the latest version.
Any suggestions welcome.
Craig

#3 ·
We haven't used physical maps for years, but have found that using a second satnav with truck and caravan weights and dimensions has worked very well in preventing us going down roads with weight limits, low bridges etc.. Ours happens to be a Snooper Caravan Club Edition but there are several that offer this functionality. I recommend one with free maps for life - ours gets at last 2 big updates each year for all EU and UK.

When we are on site, we always have wifi/internet, (as now), so for a planning overview of the route or saving maps for offline, this is also useful.

Lastly, Google streetview is excellent for photographic details of tricky places, a physical check to see the road surface is like, seeing landmarks or looking at campsites and entrances (including low trees!), especially if you have a big rig.

#4 ·
There is something quite reassuring about a decent road atlas, particularly when you are doing a bit of touring, of course Michelin is the one to go for.

Not that you will particularly have a problem with low bridges and narrow roads in NW France, it isn't Devon!

By the way, make sure you get the dog thing right, fairly obvious, but almost every time I go there is someone in the pet centre having got it wrong

#5 ·
Yep agree on the dog worming, when you book the receptionist, should ask what time and date of your departure and book you in accordingly. For the last 2 years we have taken the worming tablet with us, as we are on a vet scheme, and we only paid 2 weeks ago £13 euro's.

Have a lovely time:grin2:

#20 · (Edited)
"Atlas"... ?

Is that cockney rhyming slang too?

Maybe it is "Atlas Mountains" rhyming with "Burdens" ?

Or maybe "Atlas Sorted" means "Deported"?... "Cor blimey, guvnor, I've just been Atlas Sorted"".....

Who can tell?.....

Reactions: duffs54
#24 ·
Just to close out the thread,

France in the truck and caravan was superb.
Eurotunnel process was simplicity in itself. drive on, into van for a sandwich and drink, 35 mins later drive off in France.

Roads are embarrassingly smoth, and quiet
ditched onboard sat nav for a download of Co-Pilot Caravan (again, superb product didn't let us down)
got the dog's return to UK sorted in Vendee region (as the price in Calais was 3 times more expensive)
Pet Passprt scheme in Eurotunnel Calais also very very easy (so long as you've follwed rules and timings)
oh yes, also brought back 30 cases (6 bottles) of wine via Calais wine supermarkets Average 3 euro per bottle We stuck to Austrailian as thats what we know and like. Can't believe it was so cheap. If you lived near the tunnel and pre-spend £300 on wine, the supermarket even pays your tunnel crossing fare. They still make a profit so it's easy to see how we're ripped of u=in the UK by duty rates and prices etc

Roll on next September for a return trip....

#30 ·
Brilliant, we used our Sat nav in France this year and it was ok, but think we might use something different dragging a van behind us which is a bit wider.

When you tow onto the train how do you go about it, I've heard stories where vans have been scrapped getting on?

We will try and do France next year again, glad all went well :grin2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.