Nissan-Navara.net banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bit of a odd one 馃お I replaced my rear lights on my np300 for smoked leds ones a few years ago and late last year my labourer noticed my drivers side was cracked, no idea how weren鈥檛 me, luckily I found on eBay someone selling a brand new one but he didn鈥檛 know the light patterned so I gambled and bid and won it for 拢20 result fitted tonight it鈥檚 identical looks wise, lights the same, break lights the same reverse the same but the indicators different the new one is the new fancy one the lights up in a sequence so long story short does anyone know if it鈥檚 road legal and mot passable to have one solid blinking indicator and one sequential one?

Administrator
I suppose the only time it would be noticeable would be when the hazards are on.

Have you looked for an e mark on the smoked lights? I assume neither will have one as the lights probably came from the far East. In which case they are illegal and should fail the MOT.

In practice the MOT testers don't look too hard for e marks and the police are too busy.

Actually a cracked lens will pass an MOT (just a crack, not a hole).

Registered
This is the official MOT inspection manual

section 4.4 (1-4)

No note of any symmetry required for indicators (that I can see) so I would be confident. By the looks of the major's its only if you basically don't have an indicator or it doesn't work that you'd fail! (in rough terms lol)

like Landmannnn says, I seriously doubt they'd pick up the E-mark which is probably the bigger issue. If you see the list of things to check that they have you bet that they would rather keep moving on than hunting around a rear headlamp!

Just out of curiosity I looked at a few forums with similar queries regarding the e-mark on retro indicators. one person reckoned that not all cars require E marks nor do you have to have E marked lights except on the foglight or gas discharge headlamps - www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1989/Uksi_19891796_en_1.htm although I can't verify that from the link.

Another interesting article here which may shed some light. Aftermarket LED Bulbs: MOT Rules And Legalities - The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations states a bulb needs to be E marked, approved or have the correct wattage in order to be road legal. However this is not a requirement that is checked by an MOT testing station.

The only amendment to this is that as of January 2021, the MOT Inspection manual has been updated to include LED bulbs.
Section 4.1.4 now states the following:

鈥淓xisting halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.鈥

However, this doesn't mention brake lights, tail lights, indicators or reversing lights.

Edit - notice that you've already passed an MOT in this previously with those units fitted in which case I'd say your good to go :) as someone previously commented, lack of reflectors is probably the biggest deal if nothing else!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your answer mate, yes I鈥檝e passed 2 mots no problem with the smoked leds, I showed a colleague the indicators today and his very knowledgeable and he said it鈥檚 not a issue as long as they both indicate

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your answer mate, yes I鈥檝e passed 2 mots no problem with the smoked leds, I showed a colleague the indicators today and his very knowledgeable and he said it鈥檚 not a issue as long as they both indicate
yes I passed the mot with the crack

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes passed the mot with the crack I just wanted it replaced and didn鈥檛 want to buy a pair, the originals I bought I uk spec and fully Road legal, according to 4x4at anyway

Registered
Yes passed the mot with the crack I just wanted it replaced and didn鈥檛 want to buy a pair, the originals I bought I uk spec and fully Road legal, according to 4x4at anyway
Ah yeah got it.馃憤glad it all went ok! 4x4at is a good crowd

Tempted to buy a set of those lights for mine actually, they look very good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts