Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening fellow owners,

I’m looking at under body protection and have found two sets on Devon 4x4 and wondering which is best.

the first one is 3mm steel, the second is 4mm alloy (aluminium) other than weight difference do you think steel is the way to go for maximum protection?

·
Super Moderator
977 Posts
Evenin' chap.

Totally depends on what you are driving over really.

Both are pretty thin, although the steel would obviously not rip, bend or pierce anywhere near as easily as the alloy, at those thicknesses.

Ideally, in a serious off road situation, you would want 8 to 12mm (maybe thicker) alloy. Of course, the rest of the truck would prospectively match that spec.!

·
Administrator
2,384 Posts
That kind of armour is designed to limit stone damage from sustained high speed driving off road, rather than being a bash or skid plate.

·
Administrator
12,669 Posts
Evening fellow owners,

I’m looking at under body protection and have found two sets on Devon 4x4 and wondering which is best.

the first one is 3mm steel, the second is 4mm alloy (aluminium) other than weight difference do you think steel is the way to go for maximum protection?
The standard panels underneath are about 1.5mm, so both will be significantly stronger.
Ally is preferable as it doesn't rust or need painting.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers guys, looks like you’ve just saved me a packet of cash. I’m looking at joining 4x4 response so any suggestions for under body protection would be appreciated

·
Administrator
12,669 Posts
It really depends on where you intend driving.

Most of these 4x4 response groups are more around snow/flooding and the odd gravel track. Even mountain rescue groups tenf to park up well before they get to difficult terrain.

Other things to bear in mind

• The traditional defender does need some protection as for example the track rods are very exposed and the diffs have very thin covers.
  • If you look underneath a Navara it is well designed with nothing hanging down
  • If you are dragging the underside on the ground then, protection or not, you are exceeding the Navara capabilities.
  • If you haven't done already suggest AT tyres, snorkel, rear axle breather extended, helicopter tape on the vulnerable paint areas, something like Waxoyl to stop mud sticking to the chassis, waterproof seat covers, tow rope, proper towing/recovery brackets etc

1 - 7 of 7 Posts