Nissan-Navara.net banner

21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Re: Chassis rust

onlyme0666 said:
Does anyone know How much waxoyl I will need to do the under side of my truck.
Thanks in advance.
Paul
I don't know, but I'd like to, as I'm alarmed by this and want to do my 2014 V6. I have no idea if newer models like mine had any improvements in terms of rust protection - I suspect not...

One thing though, the steel is box section in some of the pics look like it has rotted from the inside - what kind of kit do we need to inject deep into chassis members? Is it straightforward DIY? Indeed is waxoyl the right product ? (I mean that the name is well-marketed, which bumps up the price...).

I'm only bothered about the chassis because it looks to me like all the other bits (well, panels I mean) that will rot are either bolted or spot-welded on...

·
Registered
621 Posts

freemansteve said:
onlyme0666 said:
Does anyone know How much waxoyl I will need to do the under side of my truck.
Thanks in advance.
Paul
I don't know, but I'd like to, as I'm alarmed by this and want to do my 2014 V6. I have no idea if newer models like mine had any improvements in terms of rust protection - I suspect not...

One thing though, the steel is box section in some of the pics look like it has rotted from the inside - what kind of kit do we need to inject deep into chassis members? Is it straightforward DIY? Indeed is waxoyl the right product ? (I mean that the name is well-marketed, which bumps up the price...).

I'm only bothered about the chassis because it looks to me like all the other bits (well, panels I mean) that will rot are either bolted or spot-welded on...
you can get an applicator gun with a flexi hose adaptor with it so as to get into the chassis and do it from inside aswell as outside.
the main one is Hammerite waxoyl.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271767107820? ... EBIDX%3AIT
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/311423220211? ... EBIDX%3AIT
Paul

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
caution using mild steel wire brushes. You could be inadvertently speeding up the corrosion process by ingraining low quality steel into your chassis.

Stainless wire brushes FTW.

Allan

·
Registered
621 Posts
So Guys and Girls,
How much waxoyl will I need to do the whole chassis inside and out.
Does any one know. thanks in advance.
Paul

·
Premium Member
15,733 Posts
This from the Ebay link put up by Landmannnn

Kit contains:

4 x 1 litre of DINITROL ML3125 Cavity Wax

6 x 1 litre of DINITROL 4941 Black Underbody Wax

1 x 400ml Aerosol DINITROL RC900 Rust Converter spray

DINITROL Spraygun with Schutz fitting with 500mm hose & nozzle

50 x 10mm Black tapered plastic blanking plugs

1 x DINE17149 Extension Spray nozzle (600mm long) for Aerosol can

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DINITROL-RUST ... rmvSB=true

·
Registered
8 Posts

Mine looks ok seems to be surface rust . Is it worth wire brushing and then chasing paint underneath the whole thing going. Or just the problem areas ?

·
Registered
621 Posts

andy_2_cool said:
Mine looks ok seems to be surface rust . Is it worth wire brushing and then chasing paint underneath the whole thing going. Or just the problem areas ?
Hi Andy.
Best to get the whole chassis cleaned and treated.
The chassas rust from the inside out.
Please make sure it ic OK.
Paul.

·
Registered
286 Posts

Has anyone send an inspection camera inside the chassis?
I just brought a cheapie one, hopefully it will work and I can film whats going on in there.

Cleaning outside the chassis is pain, but overall is easy enough. How do the professionals ensure all rust is removed from inside the chassis? Surely is rust is still present inside, whats the point in covering over it?

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts

covering over starves it of one essential components of oxidisation. that be Oxygen :)

it has to be complete though, since any air getting in to covered metal will also likely trap moisture, making it worse.

that's where the Dinotril products come in. Sticks like **** to a blanket!

·
Registered
1,009 Posts

Does anyone know of any companies in the West Midlands that will do the chassis treatment?

·
Registered
621 Posts

Markyt1984 said:
Does anyone know of any companies in the West Midlands that will do the chassis treatment?
Hi mate. have a look at the post on here about `Chassis rust`
I have just done some work for another member.
happy to do more work if anyone interested.
Paul

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Re: Undersealing chassis

Oh right, awesome mate!

I am after a chassis clean up and treating. I haven't got any holes from rust etc, unless there are weak points I can't see.

Could you PM me a price etc or let me know what detail you need etc?

Do you just do under the tub or the hole chassis?

·
Registered
127 Posts

I used 2 tubs of it mate but I smothered mine I took tub off ground the rust out primered it then chassie paint then waxoiled it no rust or rot on it now

·
Registered
621 Posts

Thanks Carl,
I have just done another members but also some welding,
used about 12ltrs in total.
Paul

·
Registered
286 Posts

I purchased a cheap £9 inspection cam off ebay.
The chassis looks OK inside, but there is some little spots of rust coming.

How do you get rid of surface rust inside? Spray some kind of acid in there?

·
Registered
621 Posts

from Wikipedia. - Waxoyl is a rustproofing fluid used to prolong the life of steel car chassis and bodywork. It works by excluding water and air from bare metal and by slowing the progress of existing surface rust using phosphoric acid rust inhibitors. The fluid is a suspension of waxy particles in white spirit, which evaporates after application.

Hope this helps
Paul

21 - 40 of 74 Posts