Nissan-Navara.net banner

41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
Re: Chassis rust

onlyme0666 said:
from Wikipedia. - Waxoyl is a rustproofing fluid used to prolong the life of steel vehicle chassis and bodywork. It works by excluding water and air from bare metal and by slowing the progress of existing surface rust using phosphoric acid rust inhibitors. The fluid is a suspension of waxy particles in white spirit, which evaporates after application.

Hope this helps
Paul
waxoyl wouldnt be my first choice since it can dry out quite quickly. Dinotrol FTW.

I have quite a stong opinion on rust and its basically the benefits of removing the existing rust which in itself is a form of patina/protective coating already established versus removing the rust to let the process start all over again potentially accellerated by a poor protective coating and increased ability to retain moisture.

I'm not saying dont do it, yes by all means pretect you chassis for longevity, but doing a half ***** job with potentially the wrong products is a recipe for disaster.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Sounds interesting. How would you remove surface rust inside the Chassis?

·
Registered
191 Posts
fibreglass gutter paint was recommended to me as a good brush on substance, obv no good this time of year needs to be in the summer and some sun lol, they also use this stuff on building sites these days to protect structural steels in cavitys, and concrete is poured around them, I know it's expensive tho unless you know anyone.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I took my tub off ground the rust off primed it then chassie paint then waxoil best if you can get your tub off if my photos are upside down its Apple thing lol

·
Registered
211 Posts
Chassis rust protection

Looking at the truck chassis its very solid, but being a 2003, has the usual rusty patches, paint off etc.

I was originally thinking along the lines of POR15 paint or similar for protection, but having had a look at the front end at the weekend there are lots of nooks and crannies that Im never going to get a brush into.

Im now thinking along the lines of a good steam clean, and a sprayable wax that will hopefully creep into all the bits and provide protection.

Ive a good compressor set up and stonechip guns/paraffin guns/sprayguns.

doing a google, options seem to be

Waxoyl £22 5 litres

Corrolan Ramsoil (lanolin based) £45 5 litres

Dinitrol 4941 £43.65 4 litres

Shell Ensis DW6055 £160 20 litres

I think Ive had enough of the faff and stink of using waxoyl over the years and was wondering if anyone has tried any of the other products or has any other recommendations.

·
Premium Member
511 Posts
Like a few others on this thread who have asked the same question, I'm keen to understand how rust inside the chassis' box section is treated.

Looking at the general process it seems all exterior rust is removed using wire brushes before being treated and coated, but how is the inside done?

Regards

Carouser

·
Registered
20 Posts
Does anyone know any reputable companies that will do undersealing around the northwest ?

I'd have a try at doing it myself but i live in a terrace house and the drives not big enough for the truck and i don't think this is the kind of job you can on in the middle of the street.

·
Premium Member
511 Posts
I've just been quoted £460 for Waxoyl treatment and £490 Dinitrol treatment from these guys.

http://www.waxoyltreatment.co.uk/

That sound about right ?

That sounds about right, Challenger1978. Rust Buster down South, in Spalding, Lincs, quoted £450 plus VAT for full rust treatment using Dinitrol.

However, I have requested they remove the canopy and bed on my truck to ensure it's a thorough job, plus some of Rich's stiffening plates welded too.

This was likely to make the price double due to labour, but I can't put a price on peace of mind.

Just ensure you get a full list of the works that will be carried out and included. Rust Buster post on their website what the full treatment consists of if you need something to compare to (at £450 plus VAT for the Nav).

http://www.rust.co.uk/dinitrol-rust-proof-your-car-from-250/c32734/

Cheers

Carouser

·
Premium Member
511 Posts
Apologies, I also meant to add (before the edit facility timed out), that I dropped mine off with them yesterday.

They need her for one to two weeks, but that is based on a Saturday morning drop off / pick up, but I'm in no rush; I just want to ensure they do a really thorough job.

I'll post some photos of the before and after once done. Not that you'll use the same company given location, but at least you'll be able to compare and judge for yourself.

Regards

Carouser

·
Registered
20 Posts
Apologies, I also meant to add (before the edit facility timed out), that I dropped mine off with them yesterday.

They need her for one to two weeks, but that is based on a Saturday morning drop off / pick up, but I'm in no rush; I just want to ensure they do a really thorough job.

I'll post some photos of the before and after once done. Not that you'll use the same company given location, but at least you'll be able to compare and judge for yourself.

Regards

Carouser
Nice one thanks fella

·
Premium Member
511 Posts
Hello All

Quick update on my Nav...

I called Rust Buster today for a progress update having dropped her off ten days ago with them for chassis treatment, stiffening plates and sealing.

Having removed the canopy and truck bed to assess the condition, I'm pleased to report that the chassis, while very rusty, was actually in good order with no signs of big flakes, holes or cracks.

They were able to remove all surface rust, treat, weld on Rich's stiffening plates (two inner and two outer) and seal.

It is of huge comfort to me as I'm hopeful that investing in her will provide me with a solid truck.

Ian, who is working on her, did say that he was amazed by the size and construction of the chassis, stating that it was almost like the truck had been built on a car chassis and that prior to the stiffening plates being added, there was plenty of flex (which might have been a design feature). He added that by comparison, the Isuzu chassis were built like a tank's...

Ultimately, mine was not too far gone to be salvageable and for that I am happy.

Rust Buster have taken heaps of photos and have said that she's come up really well, so I'll post some up once I've collected her.

Cheers

Carouser

·
Premium Member
511 Posts
Nice to hear that. Hope you have here for a very long time.
Thank you, Cedicol. The work is going to come at a cost, but I can ill-afford to let her go to rack and ruin...

Billcar duplex timing chain, remap, EGV value blank and oil catch can next on the agenda...

On an entirely separate matter, I note that you have not long posted a photo of your Border Collie pup, Draco; he's a beaut!

Uncanny, because I've just posted some of our Border Collie, Denby.

Gotta love 'em!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Ours will be being treated to a liberal application of Morris' Ankor wax injected in to the chassis members etc.
Its used by the local farmers and it seems to have the desired capillary action creep needed to properly treat the chassis.
A coat of waxoyl will then be injected in the same areas..
Under the tub will be blasted with shutz sealer, and the rest of the trucks underside will be sporting more black waxoyl.
that should see it for a few more rot free years.

·
Premium Member
511 Posts
Hello All

I picked up my Nav today from Rust Buster having had chassis fully treated with some of Rich's stiffening plates welded on.

Have to say, I'm really, really pleased with the result, especially having seen the state of it with the truck bed removed.

As well as the entire chassis being treated inside and out, all sills, doors and A pillars have been injected too.

She really looks the business underneath and the team at Rust Buster did a really thorough job. I feel I can sleep at night now, safe in the knowledge that the Nav should now see me good for at the five years that I am likely to own her (at least from a chassis perspective...God willing and all that).

As promised, I have shared some photographs of the work, before and after.

Best wishes

Carouser

Attachments

41 - 60 of 73 Posts