Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've been quiet for a while, but I have finally took the plunge and put a deposit on a 2012 Outlaw with 33k on the clock. It's going for a chassis inspection, service, MOT and undersealing, then I will finally be able to go pick it up. Unfortunately it has no service history, but I'm hoping that after a test drive and a good look around, it shouldn't be too much of an issue . Any pointers would be appreciated. Looking forward to owning one.

Needless to say I'm excited and looking forward to getting started with the project and have all kinds of plans in the pipeline

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought about it for ages but couldn't wait any longer. Would have liked some service history to back it up but at just under 120 grand it's in the same price bracket as trucks with double even triple the mileage

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Change of plan, still picking up on Friday, but I have found one on 28k miles on a 14 plate with full service history, 1 previous owner and has the roll bars and locking roller shutter. Same price, so I have paid the deposit and catching a train up on Friday. Will post some pics next weekend

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh god, where to start. After leaving the house at 7.45am this morning, I finally arrived at the garage at 12.30. after pulling up I could immediately see a large scuff on the front bumper. I looked around the truck, there was a substantial oil leak, scratches on every panel, tailgate was dented and scratched, inside of the tub was extremely battered, mudflap snapped in half, front bumper was cracked around fog light, armadillo back was damaged and handle was missing, and I found it hadn't been undersealed as promised.

I was gutted, after being assured it was immaculate, I paid a 500 deposit over the phone to secure the truck. The condition described was quite a different description to what I seen before me.

He offered to reduce the price by 250. I said That's not enough.

He refused to give all of my deposit back and I was stranded 10 miles from the train station in the middle of no where with no phone signal.

I finally got home after losing a day's pay, 100 on train journeys.

Back to square 1 😞

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Oh god, where to start. After leaving the house at 7.45am this morning, I finally arrived at the garage at 12.30. after pulling up I could immediately see a large scuff on the front bumper. I looked around the truck, there was a substantial oil leak, scratches on every panel, tailgate was dented and scratched, inside of the tub was extremely battered, mudflap snapped in half, front bumper was cracked around fog light, armadillo back was damaged and handle was missing, and I found it hadn't been undersealed as promised.

I was gutted, after being assured it was immaculate, I paid a 500 deposit over the phone to secure the truck. The condition described was quite a different description to what I seen before me.

He offered to reduce the price by 250. I said That's not enough.

He refused to give all of my deposit back and I was stranded 10 miles from the train station in the middle of no where with no phone signal.

I finally got home after losing a day's pay, 100 on train journeys.

Back to square 1 😞
What did you pay with over the phone if CC start a case with them if DC talk to your bank as some have dispute procedures. You may get all your money back. Surely something told you it was to good to be true ,we have all been caught once and the trick is to learn from it. From what ive seen you need to be particularly careful with Outlaws as a lot get abused.

·
Administrator
11,909 Posts
You got scammed.

Sometimes they don't even have a car to sell, just photo a vehicle in the street. They make a living from not returning the deposit.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I paid with a debit card. When I'm assured it's immaculate I don't expect there to be damage to every panel.

He had lots of raptors and amaroks for sale there and seemed like a legitimate businessman on the phone. The page is VEA automotive if you care to have a gander.

I took a few pictures of the damage but it was difficult to see phone screen in the sun but you get the idea

Attachments

·
Administrator
2,363 Posts
If he is a bona fide trader he should refund the deposit unless he made it clear that it was non refundable.

Even then under common law he’d have to demonstrate that your failure to proceed with the sale genuinely cost him £500, otherwise it’s an unfair contract provision.

Lots of shonky operators rely on the fact it would cost far more than £500 to enforce your common law rights though.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the input guys. He did not say it was non refundable. The bit I'm most annoyed about is how arrogant he was and lying about the condition of it. Hopefully sort deposit out and on the lookout for another one

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Thanks for the input guys. He did not say it was non refundable. The bit I'm most annoyed about is how arrogant he was and lying about the condition of it. Hopefully sort deposit out and on the lookout for another one
Sorry but its common for it to be non refundable otherwise a deposit is worthless! In hindsight you should have made it clear in writing that you expect your deposit refunded if not as described but I suspect they would have not have entertained that. I can see both sides here the condition was better than I expected from your post . They are on the whole a working vehicle . Did not the fact they were a trader and were selling at what you considered a bargain price ring a few alarm bells. I am not excusing what happened but there are many scamming dealers out there and the further you travel from the better.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
He said there wasn't a mark on it which is what was annoying. Yes it rang alarm bells but I checked his reviews and other vehicles for sale and thought I'd managed to find a bargain.

I'm in a position now where a few people have said I was expecting too much and I'm not sure if I should have bought it or not.

Am I being too picky? Obviously he still has my deposit and it's still off autotrader soni could potentially still have it.

Sometimes someone else's opinion clarifies the situation.

Thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts